navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Prayers Please For My Relatives
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Prayers Please For My Relatives Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2006-09-07 03:39 PM

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1167181.html

A close cousin of mine, Jeremy Shank, was killed yesterday in Iraq. A more complete report will be released late today to tomorrow.

The loss of every one of our dear friends and siblings in our spiritual family tugs at the bottom of my heart every time, as I believe every one of us are related in God's huge family and every loss is like losing a sibling, often a sibling you've never met or never knew but still a sibling at heart. But this particular loss especially has emotionally tugged at me because he is indeed a spiritual sibling I know, and is related to me, and growing up in the Mississippi Valley much of my early life has made Jackson, Missouri, with a population around 12,000, feel very much like a second home to me, and just realizing that he is only the second serviceman to be lost in combat there since World War II reminds me how we're all in this together and these bittersweet stories of courage, sacrifice and heartbreak come from seemingly all our neighborhoods and backyards.

I clearly remember one summer in 1995 when I was eleven and my grandparents, who live just about four miles from where Jeremy's family lives west of Jackson, Missouri, took us in their powder-blue pick-up truck down State Route 177 to their house on Hickory Hills, just about three miles from the Mississippi River. We just had a sort of casual barbecue and such, swam in the big log pool in their background, played Frisbee out in the sun, spent about an hour and a half wading down on Boutin Lake in the Trail of Tears State Park, the kind of things you can easily envision during a summer as a child. Yet somehow that particular summer memory has always resonated with me, and I think this heartbreaking news has reminded me just why; because I have always had a fond love and admiration for Jeremy, his two brothers Nathan and Chris, their mother Debbie and their father Jim.

Adversity has been nothing new to this wonderful family. Tragically his mother Debbie was the victim in a fatal car accident the following January of that summer I mentioned, which she survived from thank God, but also suffered severe injuries and short-term memory loss. I haven't met the family in four years but my grandparents share news about them occasionally and they mention how Debbie has her good days and her bad days these days, who has healed from most of her injuries and has graduated from her neck-brace, but still copes with her memory loss and other emotional and psychological traumas in her heart. Despite that, the family's spirit has not waned, and they are closer than ever.

I ask you all for your prayers to Jeremy's family, especially Debbie who I think can really use the extra emotional support right now, and again I just want to reiterate how though I disagree with and even condemn the handling of this war to date, I am and will always be proud of Jeremy for his bravery and the courageous sacrifice he has made for our nation, and may he be honored and cherished forever, along with all our other young men and women serving at home and abroad, who are doing likewise. God Bless Them all!

Thank you, everyone! I promise I'll post a picture of him if I can find one on-line, as I don't currently have a scanner operating.

Love,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (09-08-2006 01:33 AM).]

© Copyright 2006 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
1 posted 2006-09-07 04:59 PM

Thank you for sharing and inviting us to pray with you for your family members.  My heart breaks, too, everytime another life is lost there.

God bless
     Rae

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2006-09-07 05:10 PM

I am sorry for your loss, Noah, and offer my condolences and wishes to the family for peaceful healing thoughts as they lay a son to rest. RIP, Jeremy.
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
3 posted 2006-09-07 05:29 PM

Oh Noah, I am so sorry to hear of your loss..
your family's loss
your country's loss.
Know that I will hold you and your relatives in thought and prayer.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2006-09-07 06:02 PM

Noah~
I am so sorry to know that Jeremy has perished while on a mission for our country~

I will lift his family in prayer vigil for continuing comfort in their loss~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -         noles1@totcon.com     

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2006-09-07 10:37 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss, Noah. You and Jeremy's family will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
6 posted 2006-09-07 11:49 PM

Noah I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.  You and Jeremy's family will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.....jo
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2006-09-08 02:09 PM

Here's a heartfelt article that takes a deeper, more personal glimpse into the life of Jeremy Shank and his tragic loss.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Sep/08/ln/FP609090340.html

Schofield soldier killed in Iraq

By William Cole
Advertiser Military Writer

During his sophomore year in high school, Jeremy R. Shank was among football players at a pep rally challenged to chug a gallon of milk.

"He chugged it, and then he threw up in front of everybody," his father, James Shank, recalled.

Those days weren't that long ago. But after finishing high school and joining the Army, the son had grown up quite a bit, his father said. He was planning to get married in November.

"He went from being a troublemaker to just a great kid, a great citizen, a great son," James Shank said.

On Wednesday, Pfc. Jeremy Shank, 18, became the first Schofield Barracks soldier to be killed on a new deployment to Iraq by more than 7,000 25th Infantry Division troops.

The Pentagon said the Jackson, Mo., man died in Balad of injuries received in Hawija, a Sunni stronghold, when he was fired upon during a security foot patrol.

"It's just really hard to believe," his father said.

The Hawai'i contingent recently landed in northern Iraq for a yearlong deployment and is part of Task Force Lightning in locations including Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit, a base south of Mosul, the oil-producing city of Kirkuk, and Hawija, about 30 miles to the southwest.

Shank got out of boot camp about a year ago, his father said. Schofield Barracks was his first duty station.

If you didn't know him, the younger Shank would seem quiet, but with his friends, "he was a nut," his father said. The soldier wasn't officially engaged but had talked with his girlfriend about getting married when he was scheduled to come home on Rest and Recuperation leave in November, James Shank said.

Joining the Army "is just what he's wanted to do all his life," James Shank said. His 6-foot, 160-pound son liked the action.

"He wanted to be where it was going on," the elder Shank said. "He liked guns and hunting and the challenge of it."

Jeremy Shank was part of the 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry "Wolfhounds." Another Wolf-hound unit, the 1st of the 27th, had responsibility for the Hawija area on a deployment by 5,200 Schofield soldiers to northern Iraq in 2004. Thirteen Hawai'i soldiers were killed over the course of the year.

Maj. Gen. Benjamin R. Mixon, commander of the 25th Infantry Division in Hawai'i, will be in charge of Task Force Lightning — a reference to the "Tropic Lightning" division back home — and military operations in northern Iraq. A transfer of authority is expected this month.

Mixon will take over Multinational Division North from the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), which assumed responsibility for the region last November.

The region is about the size of Pennsylvania and includes a population of 10.2 million. Mixon will have about 21,000 U.S. troops under his command.

James Shank said by phone from Jackson that he told military officials he didn't want to know the details of what happened to his son.

"He's dead. That's enough," he said.

Brig. Gen. John M. "Mick" Bednarek, deputy commanding general for operations with Task Force Lightning, last night said the loss is being taken hard, particularly for those soldiers in Shank's unit.

"But these incredible soldiers are professionals and they continue to march after we mourn for our lost comrade," he said.

James Shank said he's proud of his son's service, but disagrees with President Bush's decision to keep U.S. troops "lingering over there" in Iraq. As of yesterday, the Pentagon reported that 2,662 U.S. personnel had been killed and 19,945 wounded in Iraq.

He said he hopes that U.S. troops are soon withdrawn from the country.

"It's a religious war," he said. "It's been going on since the Bible was written, and we are not going to solve it. It's going to go on after we are gone, and it's going to go on after whatever we do."

Shank said his son will be buried in Jackson.

"I talked it over with his fiancee, and she wants him near here, and that's good enough for me," he said.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2006-09-08 02:21 PM

Here's another article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in which Jeremy's father (and Jeremy himself) express their dissent and frustration of the Iraq war.

Fallen soldier's father blasts Iraq war

By Kim Bell
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
09/08/2006

A former Belleville man whose teenage son was killed in Iraq this week lashed out at the U.S. involvement there, saying, "We have boys dying for some unguided reason."

The dead soldier was Pfc. Jeremy R. Shank, 18.

Shank was from Jackson, a town in Cape Girardeau County, about 100 miles south of St. Louis. He died Wednesday in Balad of injuries suffered in Hawijah when he encountered small arms fire during a dismounted security patrol.

Shank's father, James Shank, said, "We need to be out of there." He said his son - who enlisted at the age of 17 - told his father as much in angry e-mails and a last phone call in late August.

"He was scared and up to his elbows," the elder Shank said.

Jeremy Shank left high school early, earned a high school equivalency degree and joined the Army in May 2005, his father said.

"He was in a rebellious period and wanted to get out of the house," James Shank said. "But he was proud to be a soldier. It was what he wanted to do ... He was a hell of a kid."

He was due to come home on leave in November.

Jeremy Shank was stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii and was one of 7,000 25th Infantry Division soldiers who deployed to Iraq in July. He was trained to speak Arabic and was with a striker force, his father said.

It was the fourth death in recent days of servicemen in Iraq with ties to the St. Louis region. Earlier this week, Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Christopher G. Walsh, 30, of St. Louis, was killed in Al Anbar province. Walsh was an emergency medical technician with the St. Louis Fire Department and served as a corpsman attached to a Marine unit. Army Staff Sgt. Michael L. Deason, 28, of Desloge, was killed on Aug. 31 in Ad War, Iraq, after a bomb exploded near his vehicle. Two days before that, Army Sgt. Matthew J. Vosbein was killed in Yusifiyah, Iraq, when a bomb exploded near his patrol. Vosbein was from Louisiana, according to the military, but was to be buried in West Frankfort, Ill., according to published reports.

By the way, even if Jeremy and his family were staunchly in support of this war which I don't believe in, I would and still will forever be proud of Jeremy regardless of his views, as in any case he has made a courageous sacrifice that deserves to be honored and immortalized forever.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
9 posted 2006-09-08 02:33 PM

Noah...I'm so sorry.  
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2006-09-08 03:26 PM

Noah, you and your family members are in our prayers.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
11 posted 2006-09-09 12:28 PM

Again, I would like to thank you all for your warm, compassionate support. Saying I am overwhelmed would be an understatement, as my feelings of thanks for all of you run deeper than words.

Soon I will have a memorial poem for Jeremy posted here, and will mail it to his family. For now though I am prepared to take a long 8.4 mile hike tomorrow at Silverton Falls National Park to help clear my head and absorb some fresh air.

Thank you all, and have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
12 posted 2006-09-10 08:58 PM

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1167363.html

Mayor orders Jackson's flags to half-staff for soldier

Friday, September 8, 2006
JENNIFER FREEZE ~ Southeast Missourian

It's evident U.S. Army Pfc. Jeremy Shank's family was proud of their son and brother by a sign that hangs from the front window of their Jackson home.

"I love my son Pfc. Shank," the yellow ribbon sign reads.

Jeremy Shank was the son of Jim and Debbie Shank of Jackson. On Thursday, a family friend said that Jim Shank was not ready to speak to the media.

Jackson Mayor Paul Sander has ordered American flags on all city properties to be flown at half-staff until after Shank's funeral, which has not been announced.

A yellow bow, offering support for troops serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom, is tied around a tree in the front yard. And a blue Dodge truck, which a neighbor said was Jeremy Shank's, has a magnet on the back that reads, "Pray for our troops."

Shank, 18, of Jackson was killed early Wednesday morning local time. His brother, Chris Shank, confirmed on Wednesday that Jeremy Shank was in the Army's 25th Infantry Division.

According to the U.S. Department of Defense, Pfc. Jeremy R. Shank, 18, of Jackson, Mo., died on Wednesday in Balad, Iraq, 150 miles north of Baghdad, of injuries suffered in Hawijah, Iraq, when he encountered enemy forces using small arms fire during a dismounted security patrol. Shank was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

Sander lives near the Shank family, and has been friends with them for more than 10 years.

"This is a horrible, horrible tragedy. Jeremy will be sorely missed, and my sympathy goes out to the family," Sander said.

Jackson Senior High School assistant principal Vince Powell remembers Shank as a personable young man.

"He was a good guy. He had a lot of friends, and still has a lot of friends at the school," Powell said.

Shank attended Jackson Senior High School until February 2006, and played on the football team in 2005, said assistant principal and athletic director Kevin Bohnert.

The school is in the preliminary stages of planning a memorial service for Shank.

Larry Koehler, a Vietnam veteran and member of the Jackson American Legion, said he appreciates what Shank did for the country. "It's a very sad thing, and our hearts go out to the family," Koehler said. "We certainly appreciate what these young men our doing for our country."

Shank is the second Jackson war death since Sgt. Robert Davis, 23, of Jackson died in Afghanistan on Aug. 19, 2005, when a roadside bomb exploded near his armored vehicle.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
13 posted 2006-09-10 09:10 PM

Very soon this week I will have a new poem posted in memory of my cousin Jeremy here, titled "He Just Wanted To Be A Soldier"

This has been one of the most difficult song/poems I have ever written, possibly the toughest since "Good Morning Cameron", also written in memory of someone very close to me, with all these emotions just unabashedly bleeding out from the inside.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

scorpio
Member Ascendant
since 2002-10-02
Posts 5178
right...there
14 posted 2006-09-11 10:02 AM

My deepest condolences Noah...

believe in what your heart feels...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2006-09-11 08:26 PM

Noah,
I'm truly sorry for your loss. We owe much more than we know to those who serve... and their families.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
16 posted 2006-09-12 02:46 PM

Oh, my gawd, Noah! I am sorry beyond words at the news of the tragic loss of your cousin Jeremy over in Iraq. He was a brave young man who died with his boots on in the line of duty to his country.

I read the above articles, and to say they were moving, is an under-statement. I got all choked up.

My sympathies and love go to you all.

God bless Jeremy

Love, Harmony & Peace,
Linda

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

17 posted 2006-09-12 03:09 PM

Awww Noah, my lil hip buddie, I am so sorry for you and your families loss. You will all be in my prayers and please Noah, remember Im always just an e away if you need a friend to share and lean upon.  
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
18 posted 2006-09-12 06:56 PM

http://www.legacy.com/BostonGlobe/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=19157881

I wrote an entry for his memorial guest-book on legacy.com.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
19 posted 2006-09-13 07:29 PM

Noah,

I'm am so sorry for your loss. While I don't necessarily agree with the war we are fighting I am and always have been 100% behind our military heroes.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
20 posted 2006-09-17 08:21 AM

Noah, I just read your moving entry in the family's guest book. I dare say there could not be a dry eye among any of the readers of all the condolences. I left my regards and sympathies as well.

I truly am saddened by the loss of Jeremy's life and how you all must be feeling.

My thoughts and love are with you.

Love & Eternal Light,
Linda

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
21 posted 2006-09-17 10:44 PM

Here's a picture of my dear cousin Jeremy Shank as promised.

Love,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
22 posted 2006-09-18 06:31 PM

Seeing that photo of Jeremy makes my heart cry. He had his whole life ahead of him but it was cut short while carrying out his line of duty in Iraq. So terribly tragic.

I can see a family resemblance with your cousin, Noah.

Again I express my sympathies to you and the rest of the family.

Love, Light, Peace & Harmony
Linda

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
23 posted 2006-09-18 08:05 PM

Awwwwwww, thanks, dearest angel friend for your loving compassion and compliment. I do indeed think Jeremy has a deep resemblance to my family, and though in terms of personality I am far more shy and quiet than Jeremy ever was, he was always an inspiring cousin to me and was one motivating force to encourage me to be more open in the world and such, after much uneasiness following tough times in elementary school for me.

I hope soon my scanner works or I learn how to use a digital camera so I can get a new, long-overdue picture of me up, where my hair is much longer and that, along with my blue eyes, many say it represents my emotional, feminine sort of charm like my mother has, who is a Libra but has an abundance of water including three planets in Scorpio and one in Cancer in her planet allignments (she has a moon in Leo and Sagittarius Rising)

I'm not sure what Jeremy's birth-date was, but he always struck me as likely an Aries or possibly a Leo like yourself, and my deep life-long admiration for him (and you too, LOL!) may be somewhat explained in that my Midheaven is in Leo! (giggles)

Thanks, dearest friend, you know just how to comfort a friends heart!

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
24 posted 2006-09-19 12:10 PM

Noah I serfed the net for articles
on Jeremy and I found this photo of him
which I have enlarged.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Prayers Please For My Relatives

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary