navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Exciting news for my town!
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Exciting news for my town! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2005-07-01 11:40 PM

Although some people won't find this exciting (:P), the President of the United States will be spending the Fourth of July in my town, Morgantown WV. The last time a current president visited was in 1911!! I find it an incredible honor that he chose to come and spend such an important holiday here, where I live and attend school. I'm on a waiting list to get into the circle where he will be speaking, but that area is in the middle of campus, so I'm sure I can stake a claim somewhere! I believe there will also be a parade. If you happen to see it while you flip through the news, take a look, even if it's just to see my town and the beautiful campus of West Virginia University.  

And HEY, you just might see me!!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

© Copyright 2005 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

1 posted 2005-07-01 11:47 PM

This is where he will give his speech   The building dates back to when the university first began, right after the Civil War.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

2 posted 2005-07-04 03:49 PM

Guess nobody else cared :P But he was there, it was nice.. i didn't get 'in', but it was still nice

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-07-04 03:54 PM

Saw a snippet on FoxNews, and is a very pretty area.  Thanks for the pic, and I do love that style of roofing treatment.

Have a good and safe Fourth.

scorpio
Member Ascendant
since 2002-10-02
Posts 5178
right...there
4 posted 2005-07-04 07:29 PM

Regardless of one's politics it's a privilege to be near a president.  I hope you enjoyed the event.

believe in what your heart feels...

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2005-07-04 08:02 PM

I didn't get to actually go.. only 5,000 did :P But just knowing he bothered to come to town, that meant a lot.

Ali, yeah, that building is the oldest in town, one of the oldest still standing in the state. IT's on the top of one of the biggest hills in town. It's hell getting up there (about 70 stairs!), so I don't really like having class in there, lol! It's still pretty though

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2005-07-04 08:19 PM

Well, President Bush does appear to enjoy coming to West Virginia, as he's done so numeral times during his past 5 years on July 4th.  He even remarked it's becoming a tradition with him, though I realize that could simply be a nicety.  One thing else strikes me are the NCO's around the President.  Now that is a very short list, and one hard contested.  Only the very best get the priviledge of that detail.  Just another random thought on our servicemen and women who do jobs in service the Office of the Presidency and in defense of the Constitution.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2005-07-04 09:00 PM

WOW! I didn't know you lived there, love bug! I drove through there 2 years ago and was amazed and the beauty of the town and how they wore their patriotism so proudly...even wrote a poem about it. You are a very licky girl to live in such a wonderful place....it is really beautiful.
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
8 posted 2005-07-04 09:14 PM

Thanks for alerting us and for the pics.  It definitely is a beautiful, nostalgic place.  

Rae

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

9 posted 2005-07-04 10:44 PM

Ali, yeah, he's been here for several years for the fourth. I guess we're doing something right!

Deer, you were in Morgantown!?!? :P WHy no word?! :P Were you in Morgantown or in WV itself.
I always found it strange that although WV gets the short end of the stick a lot, in being a poverty stricken state, esc, we never stop loving America.. It's nice that we aren't too shaded by the actions of PFC England :P

Thanks, Sandgrain!

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
10 posted 2005-07-05 05:30 AM

yeah, I understand how it feels...

he came here after Hurricane Ivan.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Exciting news for my town!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary