navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Okay guy's have a question to ask
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Okay guy's have a question to ask Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla

0 posted 2004-01-20 08:23 AM

I've been playing with the idea to go to open mic nite for poetry. But I'm afraid mine are good enough to read... I went there a few weeks ago was blown away by others poetry and was like man...those are goood... So what do you guy's think I should do?

Fool me once shame on you.....Fool me twice shame on me.....

© Copyright 2004 Julie O'Neill - All Rights Reserved
KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
1 posted 2004-01-20 08:28 AM

keep going.  I'm sure someone else is thinking the same thing you are...

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2004-01-20 08:37 AM

Go... make friends... read your thoughts... get suggestions... take notes of the others...
It's not about how "good" your writes are... it's about sharing ideas, and being with other artists...
I am a part of a music open night, and I see the same thing with many of the musicians that sit in. And every so often, a bass player sits in, and I'm thinking, "I have to follow THAT?"
Open Mikes, and the people who attend them are often some of the most supportive people you will find, because they have all been there, and they all know how difficult it is for people to get up in front of a crowd and share... and who knows... maybe you'll come back and give us a write about breaking out of your comfort zone.

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-01-20 08:44 AM

I see Open Mike events quite like what we have here at Passions.  I was NOT going to post one of my poems, and try to keep up with these folks some four and one-half years ago.  No way!  A bit of encouragement from one of the members and voila...open arms.

If the folks at your Open Mike night events are as welcoming as those here at Passions, then you will find those who want to see you improve, as much as they want to improve.

Everything! begins with the first step!

Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla
4 posted 2004-01-20 09:19 AM

Thanks guy's I think I'll try it What I'm most afraid of is I don't know how to read my poetry as well as other. I dont know how to put it all together i know the right tone it should be but ive been practicing at home and im like um damn how come i cant read this!

I guess there are poetry readers and writers lol

Fool me once shame on you.....Fool me twice shame on me.....

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
5 posted 2004-01-20 09:36 AM

try memorizing it...then just letting it come out naturally.  The harder you try to push something, the harder it comes out...

"Painting is poetry which is seen and not heard, and poetry is a painting which is heard but not seen." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2004-01-20 10:16 AM

Get a mirror.  Get a tape recorder.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  If your line breaks are out of order, you will QUICKLY find that out as you read it.  Your mind sometimes says one thing...while your words are written as you want, but without the proper breaks to give them the life and breath they need.

Listen to yourself.  Is that how you wanted it to sound?  Do you need to heighten your voice, or lower it?  Slow it down?  Speed it up?

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2004-01-20 01:07 PM

Well I have done stand-up comedy believe it or not, and at one time was in the same spot as you.  I couldn't get the courage to try it, but when I did, I took what I learned from that night and only got better from it.  You won't know one way or another unless you try, and fear is the darnest emotion that holds back the greatest people from becoming all they can be.  Let us know how you did okay?  Good luck!
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
8 posted 2004-01-20 06:28 PM

One of my stock phrases is "Nothin' to it but to do it"... and I believe that applies here. The ONLY way you are going to feel half comfortable reading your poetry to an audience is to treat it like any other public speaking engagement. Take the time to ensure you have written what you mean, and then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRATCICE as has been written here before, OUT LOUD. Once you have it cold, and you know exactly what it is you are going to say, and how you are going to say it.. practice some more. The day of the Open Mike... don't practice. Warm up a bit by rading something else aloud, just to get used to hearing the sound of your own voice... maybe reciting a well known and remembered prayer, poem, speech, whatever.
As part of my duties with the Marine Corps League, I am required to be on television and on radio from timie to time promoting our latest fundraiser. Before I go on, if I have the chance, or if I know I am going to be doing it, I practice the interview with questions that I made up, and then I read "Oh Say, Can You Say" by Dr. Suess, and then on the way to the event, or interview, or station, I recite the a miniature version of the rosary just to get myself centered. By the time I get to the actualy interview, I am relaxed (as much as I will ever be) and I have heard my own voice so much taht it doesn't suprise me any longer... and as Michelle-Loves-Mike and Kristie Sue can tell you, I dearly love to hear my own voice   lol
Anyhow. I wish you all of the success in the world, and I look forward to hearing your report on how it went.

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Okay guy's have a question to ask

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary