navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » My Dad Might Have Diabetes
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Dad Might Have Diabetes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
the_loner_23
Member Ascendant
since 2002-06-08
Posts 5479
Jacksonville, Florida, USA

0 posted 2003-06-18 06:38 PM

The last 2 times my Dad has been to the doctor his blood glucose as been really high. So he has to go on a Beach Diet or something like that. He has to cut back on his sugar intake. And they put him on inculin pills or something. So keep my Dad in your prayers please, Thank you!!!!!!

Cold hands means a warm heart

© Copyright 2003 the_loner_23 - All Rights Reserved
ThunderMage
since 2002-06-20
Posts 812
Canada
1 posted 2003-06-18 07:28 PM

My Dad has Diabetes, and he can't have a lot of sugar.

What is life without poetry and adventure?
"Little sister" is just another way of saying "Guardian Angel"!
We do not stop playing because we grow ol

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2003-06-18 08:28 PM

Diabetes is an invisible disease.  Type I, Juvenile onset, is the insulin-dependent variety.  Both of my children and two of their four little ones all have it and live with two shots a day.  They look fine, but their disease eats away at their bodies from the inside.  Over time, it will take a serious toll on them.  

Your father is looking at Type II, adult onset.  This variety is controllable through diet modifications and pills to stabilize blood sugars.

The good news is, people who have diabetes can keep themselves in pretty good control as long as they balance their food intake, and their exercise levels - and check their blood several times a day...

All will be well, Julie - Hang in there...

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2003-06-18 08:59 PM

My cousin has type 1, and he has had a lot of problems, although he is very young and healthy otherwise. Type 2 isn't as harsh, but it can be dangerous. He'll probably be fine if he is careful and follows the instructions of his doctor. I'll remember him in my prayers.

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2003-06-18 10:26 PM

Yes, as Nan said, balancing food intake with exercise and taking his medication if it is prescribed. Testing his blood will be a good way for him to know if he is on track with his program.

I'll pray that he does not have it, but Type II diabetes (Adult Onset/Diabetes Mellitus) is becoming more and more prevalent with the high amount of refined carbohydrates in our modern day diets---white flour, sugar...
and a more sedentary lifestyle.

I'd suggest getting a good book on Diabetes whether he has it or not! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Lovin' hugs,
Linda

HopeS
Member Elite
since 2000-12-22
Posts 4596
Perth Western Australia
5 posted 2003-06-18 11:30 PM

My husband developed mature age diabetes , thats the type 2 controlled by tablets and diet , he does the pin prick test in his fingers three times a week just to check his sugar level

Hope

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
6 posted 2003-06-19 10:27 AM

My mother also has type II diabetes.  I'll keep your Dad in my prayers.  Hang in there....
HUGS,
Bridgette

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
7 posted 2003-06-19 03:40 PM

adding him now.

Jason

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2003-06-20 09:38 PM

(big hugggsssssssss) We all have your dad in our thoughts and hope his health improves and the risks diminish for him! God Bless You, dearest friend, please keep us posted as we all join in this circle!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Underneath your clothes, there's an endless story

***Shakira***

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (06-20-2003 09:38 PM).]

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
9 posted 2003-06-21 12:57 PM

There is Diabetes running rampant throughout my family, and my ex's family. Although it is a serious condition that requires care in dealing with it, it is not that serious that it needs to be worried about. As long as your father takes care of himself, he will be able to live a long and happy existance.

Once in a dream, far beyond these castle walls...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » My Dad Might Have Diabetes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary