navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Fight Nile West - Mosquitoes Beware We Are Ready!
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fight Nile West - Mosquitoes Beware We Are Ready! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2003-04-30 06:39 PM

Okay so it isn't really poetry related but it's important right now.  

This was sent to me by Ethome to circulate,  and the responses back to me are so positive and people were thrilled to get this information because of Nile West.  I already knew about some of these remedies, how about you?  Here in the mountains of B.C. we take branches from pine or spruce trees, and rub on our arms to ward off those pesky "no-seeums" - horrible tiny black flies that bite like crazy!  Well here you go - a few ways to ward off those darn mosquitoes this summer.

OK, mosquitoes...prepare to be repelled!

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great for youngsters and babies.

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day from April through October . He said it works. He was right.  Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it.   Every one he has talked into trying it works on them.  Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

Stop eating bananas!  If you eat bananas, the mosquitoes really like you, - something about the banana oil  as your body processes it.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol. (I use this one straight from the bottle.)

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

When all else fails- BUY A FROG!

Fight West Nile - pass this along to all your friends in skeeter land!

Now, do you have any to add?

© Copyright 2003 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2003-04-30 06:51 PM

quote:
Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol. (I use this one straight from the bottle.)

As a former Marine, I can verify this one. Unfortunately, that bath oil stuff makes the alcohol taste really strange.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2003-04-30 07:01 PM

I can verify Ron's verification on both counts.

sigh, that's when the beer doesn't slip outta yer hands...

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2003-04-30 07:04 PM

Well Ron, thank you for vouching for that one, and due to time difference I got an email from Margherita out of our Spiritual Forum who put the Avon to the test, and took a secondary precaution with the Vicks, as she said sitting out on her balcony in Italy they have Tiger Mosquitoes (sounds scary) and so far, so good, they are not liking her at all!  I am going to suggest to Avon they make un-scented right now  

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (04-30-2003 07:26 PM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2003-04-30 08:59 PM

skin-so-soft
hmm
tried it in Florida
yes, makes the wine whine

A friend of mine in Alaska swears by garlic cloves draped around the neck and legs.
No one goes near him, not even the Aaska state bird (the mosquito).

I might have to try one of those other remedies

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2003-05-02 01:26 PM

Well I heard back from three people who tested both the bounce sheets and the Avon Skin So Soft and both worked, so guess what I am packing in my suitcase for this trip to California
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-05-02 02:12 PM

Hey, where you're going in CA you won't need them...the smog keeps them at bay!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2003-05-02 03:50 PM

There's actually relatively little smog in San Diego, Karilea, but you're still right because there's also very little standing water for skeeters to breed. It's a dessert, made green only because Man ships in water from a thousand miles away. Couple that with a pleasant ocean breeze and you'll have to look really hard to find mosquitoes.

But there are still a lot of bugs that don't need standing water to breed, and it's truly amazing just how big some of them can get. Fortunately, stink bugs only hurt if you're foolish enough to stick your head out the window of a rapidly moving car. Should you feel so inclined, Sharon, I highly recommend glasses and absolute silence (keep your mouth shut!).  

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2003-05-02 04:05 PM

Brother what you have to do to avoid bugs I will simply fill a watergun full of Avon and if that doesn't work then I guess I will trade the car in and go with the glasses
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
9 posted 2003-05-02 04:24 PM

Well, to be on the safe side, I plan on using all of the above!

Now, it's "Off" to the market I go!

Thanks for the public address!
You may save many lives!  

Warm hugs,
Linda

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Fight Nile West - Mosquitoes Beware We Are Ready!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary