navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I Can Hear or See No More - Not The Children!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Can Hear or See No More - Not The Children! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2001-09-16 11:47 PM

As one of your Canadian neighbours I have to tell you I have been so upset since Tuesday, and living alone I am scared to death!  I have not been able to sleep properly or eat.  We too have been terribly wounded by the terrorists.  Today, I woke up and it was foggy in Vancouver and I simply sat down and cried because I could not see the sky over downtown, and it has become important to me to watch the sky.

I have been busy trying to write  (and not to well) to show support and cheer up my American friends, and offer some hope, give an aura of faith, and sisterhood while expressing my sincere sympathy to all victims, and loved ones. I wanted to show my respect for the volunteers, and the military, and hold hands with those whose hearts were aching.  I wrote of brotherhood and forgiveness but today an incident has silenced me to write about this anymore, and I have to hold a silent vigil.

I started a candle vigil and support network for two neighbours whose son was missing (as a tourist) at the Trade Center, and offering some hope he would be found.  He has not been, but still we keep the candle of hope burning.  This candle also burns for a school friend that worked at the centre, and so far we have no word on her either.

When the planes landed in Vancouver unable to go to the United States, I took in two families from the U.S. and listened to their terror, and tried to comfort them as others here did with visitors they took in, and all the while I wanted to just be sick.

I have never been vindictive, but I want these terrorists put to justice for what they have done to us all, but I don't want it done with hatred.  Today an incident took place that has changed me yet again!  I can not hear or see anymore of the hatred associated with this act of violence that has been committed.

TODAY … I was cutting through my favorite playground, as the sound of children always makes my day, when I saw something so despicable I am embarrassed to tell this story.  A small girl was on a swing, when two boys went up and pulled the scarf from her head, and called her a "murderer".  These boys proceeded to push her off to the ground and kick her hard while she lay curled up in a ball.  I went to stop it, and two women and a man came running up.  The man said, "leave them alone, those people deserve it".  Another man appeared, being the Father of the girl, and stopped it, but when he went to walk away, the other man attacked him and spewed venomous words about Muslims and how they were all going to be "toast"!  The kids were yelling terrible things at that little girl as she walked away with her scarf in her hand, head bowed.
Finally this was stopped, and I simply sat there crying.  What I heard from the mouths of babes can not be repeated on this site, and this they learned at home.

What is coming to this world when parents teach their children this kind of hate?  Do they not realize that by doing this, they are forming character in their children like the very people we are now hunting down?  This tore my heart out today to see that little girl so degraded and attacked.

I have a new granddaughter due to arrive in 5 weeks, and my biggest concern right now is that I hope I am here to see that event.

Yes September 11th has changed the world, and this is just a sample of how it has changed mine.  We have a large Iranian and Muslim population in our area, now what?  Is this to be a daily problem?  Another thing for me to be scared about?

I pray for no hate and prejudice please - it is a cancer that spreads like wildfire from ignorance, and grows into evil, like we saw on September 11th, 2001.

I never thought I would say this ever but I want the terrorists, and the supporters that have done this to the world.  I want justice for how I am feeling - which is absolutely NUMB.  I can read and see no more.

Thanks for listening, and my prayers are with you all.  I send my love and sincere sympathy to all loved ones waiting and of victims.

~* If you want a rainbow, sometimes you just have to put up with a little rain *~

© Copyright 2001 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

1 posted 2001-09-17 12:21 PM

A few radical extremists have taken our world away from us.  And now you've related that they've taken our playgrounds from ALL children.
My girlfriend said the other day that she wanted to move, wanted to go away.  I asked where we would go.  No place is safe, no place untouched by this.
I live in the northeastern U.S., in relative close proximity to each of the crashes...yet what scares me more than anything, I think...is how scared people are who live thousands of miles away.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2001-09-17 12:44 PM

Duncan, I sure didn't mean to write this to scare anyone, only to ask parents to be careful not to let children overhear what they are saying about this tradegy.  I wrote this as I am so terribly upset, and at the moment lost for more words.  I just want the children shielded from this and to remain innocent.  I am so sorry if it is upsetting.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
3 posted 2001-09-17 01:12 AM

i read your story and i am crying so hard i can't see the screen.....

ohgod!!!!!

senseless awful horribly debilitating prejudice based on religious belief, skin color....... and of course passed down from the parents

this world is full of ignorant people

ignorance is a great enemy

i pray with you.... i hold your hand..... i pray for the world........ and our children and their future....

goodnight

i'm so tired...it's all so very hard.....

we're going to be ok.....

thank you for your love and support from your heart and from canada.... you are a precious friend and wonderful lady..... we love you, sharon

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
4 posted 2001-09-17 04:44 AM

Oh man...after reading that I was crying. I still am crying. How on earth could they allow that to happen to a small child?! GRR!!  

Let us hope that such hate will leave their hearts when they realise such innocent people are NOT to blame.  

Elizabeth

"Who needs enemies,
When you've got friends like these
Caught between me and myself again"
Motor Ace - Enemies

Carolina
since 2001-08-17
Posts 224
Myrtle Beach, SC
5 posted 2001-09-17 03:01 PM

How much heartache can we stand??  When you stop to think about it, everyone that hurts, have been hurt, and will hurt.... every single person.. is innocent to all of this.. I would hate to know that another country would treat us the same way.. I'm a military dependant, and I've lived overseas.. I've seen what some Americans, and some military members have done to people in other countries.. I am just so thankful that our host countries to my military family have NEVER considered categorizing all Americans with the Americans that create death and destruction overseas.  I think of the military guy who was charged with raping a young girl overseas, and his recent trial.  Now I understand why the people of that country were so upset, but.. they're standing behind us in this event.  I think about all of the innocent people that have died on US soil, and I can't help but cry over all of the innocent people that will die on other soil.  We're all innocent in this.  Even our children.  I hope and pray that one day, the hatred will cease.  I hope you find peace in your heart, and I hope you shine bright in your neighborhood as a peacemaker.  {{{{{huggzzz}}}}}}}

Live today as if it's your last.  Love today as if it's your first.   Lisa

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
6 posted 2001-09-17 07:47 PM

I'm so sorry you had to witness human ignorance at its worst. The media is drawing attention in the form of targets that many cannot discern. A child or a hate monger would only find that target in everyone they see.  And I am so anguished. For I am angry. But I will not strike out at illusions or in(FEAR...FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL)  It must be at the behavior of the guilty. Which
we don't know the extent of who or what at this time.

We need to outshine the evil with the most love we can muster. Thanks for helping us do just that!

Sincerely,
Regina

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2001-09-17 09:56 PM

Thank you all for your comments.  I had to take a day away from everything after that incident, and am better now, and Regina you are so right it is only ignorance that causes fear and anger, and also right, at the moment they don't even know at who.  I have quit watching the television completely for the time being, as it only continues the sadness in me and am listening to a reliable radio station that balances out the bad news with some hope for the future.  Thanks again to you all, for voicing your opinion, as I felt badly to even post this as I knew it might cause some fear, but also I felt I had to say it, as parents MUST be careful to not show their hostility in front of children.  

Sharon

~* If you want a rainbow, sometimes you just have to put up with a little rain *~

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

8 posted 2001-09-17 10:23 PM

Parents have to stop poisoning their children with hate. That's how this tragedy started in the first place. When will people wake up? Thanks for this eye-opener, Sharon. Very sad, indeed.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I Can Hear or See No More - Not The Children!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary