navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » An Example of the American Spirit
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Example of the American Spirit Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2001-09-15 02:18 PM

While at work, I found a site that had an extraordinary forum that kept me informed of what was happening in the news in the past few days. I'd like to share this letter with you. This lady sounds amazing (and she gave me permission to repost it here so if you'd like to contact her personally you can).

quote:

To the Editor,

I am a 50-year-old wife and mother. Like the rest of you I have hardly slept or eaten in the past few days…at least not comfortably. And the images of devastation are in my view 24/7 regardless of whether the TV set is on or off.

My heart aches with the desire to offer some measure of support and comfort to our countrymen and women who are still digging themselves out of the rubble and looking for their loved ones.

My nerves jump and my breath catches in my throat for us all as we look to the skies and wonder if yet more horror will be rained upon us.

My eyes well up with tears for our children and their children.

And my mind struggles to understand how, while we are reeling with the enormity of it all, there are those in Central Texas whose myriad reactions still allow time and energy for bullying and assaulting our very own people.

I’m referring to the Arab-Americans who, in addition to sharing our neighborhoods, schools and freedoms, also share our pain and heartache.

I know the frustration of wanting to do something…anything…to vent those emotions. We all do. But if we truly want to protect that which makes us who we are, then we have to nip this in the bud.

How? I’m not a cop, a soldier or a lawmaker. All I have is an opinion and a love for my country. Okay, I have to admit that I also have a forceful manner and a steely glare I told you, I’m a mom.

That’s it! I will use those.

Yep. If someone at my local supermarket, post office, or for that matter, on the street is being assaulted verbally or physically because of religion and/or apparent ethnicity, this is one middle-aged woman who will stop the car (or shopping cart) and butt in. And if the bullies turn their rage on me, so be it. I am an American and therefore I will stand up for what is right no matter what the cost.

God bless us all.

Rosie Glover
wildwoman@austin.rr.com

The American Spirit is AMAZING!

© Copyright 2001 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
1 posted 2001-09-15 02:26 PM

That is so nice to read, Sharon. very uplifting to know that people are willing to defend those that have nothing to do with it.  

"Kelly's my Hero!" "No, Kelly's your heroine." "Kelly has heroin??" "What?"

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2001-09-15 09:15 PM

Thank you, Ms. Glover and Sharon...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » An Example of the American Spirit

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary