navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » In your opinion, what makes a classic...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic In your opinion, what makes a classic... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom

0 posted 2000-07-05 09:51 PM

***** or bastard...i.e. what behaviour is totally unacceptable, will make you feel vulnerable, angry or just feel downright flipping useless?

I'm just wondering if there are certain behavorial patterns that affect us all or whether it depends on our emotions...i.e. if we care, we're bound to be hurt by another person's apparent indifference to us or is it that we have strong principles about what is or isn't acceptable regardless to the depth of caring involved....

Night night me, time to rest my head on Snoopy's tummy, whilst his paws get tangled in my hair...thank heavens for very soft fur and lots of purrs...

I really am interested in this, could settle some ghosts for me or maybe lay them gently to rest..

HUGS

Huh...how comes ***** gets 5 stars and bastard is ok???????  and I wasn't even being horrible but how else do you phrase it?????...sorry if it offends..  

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 07-05-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Cindy Jones - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2000-07-07 07:52 PM

The only type of behavior that really bothers me is when someone is deliberately cruel to someone. I mean, none of us is perfect, but I just can't fathom intentional cruelty. I believe that it is a sign of complete moral depravity.

Denise

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
2 posted 2000-07-07 11:52 PM

Lots of things...people who will do anything to get what they want, regardless of the effects their actions have on others, anyone who thinks they are God's gift, hypocrisy, and suck-ups, to name just a few.

What about you, Rainbow? What's your opinion?

Elizabeth

I'm grabbing my hat and coat
I'm leaving the cat a note
Quick call me a ferry boat-getting out of town!

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
3 posted 2000-07-08 06:56 AM

Thanks Denise..   I agree, intentional cruelty is horrible...  Thanks for answering..

HUSG

Elizabeth: You picked up on one that I really do abhor and that's when people will walk right over someone to get what they want...yuk!!!

As for my thoughts, I hate it when people say loving things that they don't mean or use them carelessly...I know we all have our own ideas about what affection or caring means but it can be so detrimental not to mention devestating when it happens...I hate seeing people hurt...especially when it is the easiest thing in the world to be kind to someone..

Thanks for your input..

HUGS

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2000-07-08 08:49 AM

What annoyes me...intentional ignornance and cruelty for no reason, people not having respect for anyone. I can shrug alot of things off but the above three hit hard for me.
As for swear words I wonder how they became swear words, who decided that *%@* was a swear word or **** or ******* etc. And even the words sound harsh when pronouncing them
Could it be luck that the word cheese is not a swear word. And why are certain swear words worse than others...
  < !signature-->

"Death makes angels of us all and put wings where we once had shoulders, smooth as raven's wings. Jim Morrison

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
5 posted 2000-07-08 07:58 PM

Brian: I could get myself lynched here...LOL   I hate to hear people swearing in public but then I also hate to see people drunk as well but that's partly because it scares me...

It probably isn't a very fair thing to say but if I'm talking to soemone new on ICQ or Yahoo for the first time and every other word is XXXX then I'm out quicker than you can blink....I just think it shows a poor use of vocabulary but that may be the way I was brought up as well...I also hate violence or any kind of intimidation and swearing can be a form of that for me...although I have to admit to being hypocritical here cause if you dropped a sack of potatoes on my foot I doubt my only word would be "ouch !"...LOL....

Although that brings a funny story to mind...I keep my tumble dryer in the garage and one day was just putting a load of white washing in it when my ex dropped a load of BBQ coal on me and the washing ..I dropped it on the floor out of shock, the cat ran off dragging my lingerie across the road to his favourite toy place, much to the amusement of traffic passing by and I couldn't stop laughing ...anyway, I'm not going to say what I said but it certainly wasn't "oh drat !!"  LOL... but I don't swear very much at all, just never occurs to me...  

HUGS

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 07-08-2000).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2000-07-08 08:21 PM

I've been amazed at the number of women at work that use that infamouse 'f' word without a second thought. Ladies, if you use it, you're down one notch in my respect-o-meter..sorry. Swearing in public is a BIG no no for me...NEVER do and don't like to hear it...
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
7 posted 2000-07-09 05:56 PM

Thanks Sharon..  

I have noticed that those that do swear a lot don't even seem to notice that they are...I once went out with what seemed an extremely charming man, very gentlemanly, considerate, humorous etc but his language let him down and yet I had never known him to use that kind of language before...ih his case it turned out to be nervousness but it was a real turn-off for me...

HUSG

I wonder why this topic is so quiet...did I phrase something wrong or is it just something that people have no thoughts about?  I was really hoping for lots of insight here as well, from both sexes....you know the good looking woman you dated who burped all night long or the guy who gave you his jacket so you wouldn't get soaked then left you to pay the taxi home....all that weird stuff that changes how you feel about someone...

Oh well...maybe I just get the weird and wonderful ones..LOL

HUGS

and I snook back to see if Ron is still reading...LOL   ....cause there was also the guy that I dated who seemed ok but when I went back in the pub his friends all smiled that knowing kind of smile...and I was supposedly the best....you get the drift...he got the beer, all over his head and the comment that surely I would have remembered something that good....sorry Ron...ROFL...hmmm, ok, I know you'll delete that bit...*g*

HUSG

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 07-09-2000).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2000-07-09 06:55 PM

Oh, I'm still reading…  

But, again, I think you missed an opportunity. Men might be slightly embarrassed being caught in a lie, but trust me, it's only slight. As much as most lie about "that," they have to expect to be caught once in a while. You should have looked him in the eye, frowned a bit, and then perhaps suggested you wished you could return the compliment. "But you weren't quite the worst, either!"

Not THAT would hurt a man!  

As for your original question, I need to prelude my answer with this: After I've fallen in love with a woman, I've never found anything about her that could be a turn-off. I think once we really care about another person, we can accept almost anything.

But prior to that big fall, there are probably about ten pages of things I find a turn-off. I guess I'm fussy. Setting aside the more obvious things (being a liar, blowing their nose on their sleeve, or not laughing at my jokes), one in particular comes to mind. I have a lot of trouble spending time in the company of anyone who is constantly negative, especially about other people. I dislike rumors (being the butt of too many), but especially hate those that show people in a negative light. If you don't know something personally, don't spread hear-say. And if you do know it personally, but it's bad, keep it to yourself anyway.

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
9 posted 2000-07-09 07:10 PM

Disrespect.
In whatever form it may show itself.
It pretty much covers any ill that can be heaped upon one person by another. If you respect someone you will not do anything that would hurt them or their reputation.

jamie

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
10 posted 2000-07-09 07:30 PM

Hey, it's alive...thanks Ron for being detailed..

I'll be vulnerable and say what what was on my mind when I posed this question originally...

As some of you will know I'm apt to spell HUGS as HUSG and that's because they are special HUGS....a long time back, almost 2 years or so...every post I made carried the signature HUGS but then I found that others copied it and it became meaningless because not everyone actually means HUGS the way I do, so one day being the scatty kind of intelligent woman that I am, I thought up HUSG as a way to express tenderness and deep affection for either someone on a personal basis or because I admired them and truly enjoyed their way of expressing their feelings towards other people including myself...so HUSG is extremely special to me and prior to now only about 8/9 people knew the meaning, most thought it a mispelling but it isn't...it's my own special way of saying I value you for who you are...so, knowing that...someonme equally special to me posted HUSG and then totally ignored me and I mean totally and I'm talking a deep relationship here...so without trying to go into details I was hoping that someone might come forward with how the things that mean so much to them suddenly became so meaningless or perhaps disregarded...

For a long time I have hesitated in using that special term because once it has been made a mockery of it tends to lose the specialness...well, it doesn't in my heart but ...

So in a sort of subtle way I was hoping that my own way of thinking, my own way of saying I'm affectionate and I'm kind and caring wouldn't altogether lose it's meaning just because someone walked right over my HUSG and in doing so rendered them useless...that means or did mean a lot to me...I'm not making sence so I'll shutup but thanks for listening to anyone that did..

Take care

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
11 posted 2000-07-09 08:08 PM

I know what it means!!!  

I have to say I agree with Ron (concept!) about the list before the fall. SO many things... sigh.. too picky! (and I wonder why I'm alone...)

HUSG Cindy!

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
12 posted 2000-07-09 08:23 PM

I get turned off when a guy has to tell me how much something costs or how much money he spent doing this or that. I'm not impressed.  And I'm not impressed by a fancy car. Big deal...four wheels and an engine! As long as it gets you back and forth to work and isn't piled high with empty McDonald's bags, a car is a car is a car.

And though I do like it when someone defers to me to make a decision about what to do or where to go, I like a man who can make a decision. Stand by it, but don't be afraid to make a mistake. I never mind someone saying "gosh I made a mistake"..at least you tried! (unless he's my surgeon and my nose is now occupying space on the operating floor!)

And men who don't laugh! Good grief! Where would we be without a good giggle!! And someone who doesn't see my pun humor...sigh! That's a bad one.

And one more...let me have my space. I like doing things, going places etc. But please! Let me have some time to myself. I enjoy reading and writing and fiddling around with graphics an stuff..I like to have quiet time for that so please don't hang over my shoulder and keep asking me what I'm doing!

And one more thing!!! Let everyone be! Don't judge someone. Calling someone a derogatory name or being prejudiced is a BIG turn off. I've kicked a guy out of my house for using a word that I abhor! So what if they have green hair and blue nail polish! So what if they don't think the way you do! So what if they choose to act weird in public! Don't judge..and don't ask me to make a judgement.

Whew! That felt good!  

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
13 posted 2000-07-09 08:36 PM

Thanks Chris...I know..

HUSG

Sharon:  Oh boy.....hanging over your shoulder...*nods her head*...or maybe the one of..."I'm going now because you;re obviously TOO busy for me"...yuk!!!  Guilt trip..!!...I like all people regardless of hair, creed, race or nationality and religion....I just don't give a damn for preconceived concepts...if you make me laugh you go into number one slot, if you lie to me and I find out, you go...if you are kind, love animals and will help another you'll go up in my estimation....

perhaps I should add a signature saying  "love my cat and if he loves you then you too can enjoy tangled hair and paws"...LOL

but he's a suspicious cat and will lick your boots first... )

I'm smiling cause, smiles are better for your wrinkles...well, for mine they are...LOL

You're an angel Sharon..

HUSG

Hmmm Ron, for your benefit I left off the story of Kara, the boyfriend and the tampax....*g*

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

14 posted 2000-07-09 08:52 PM

Sharon, I'm a sucker for a fancy car! (AKA- A new Volkswagen beetle) Does that mean I'm shallow?  

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde
"The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief" -Shakespea

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
15 posted 2000-07-09 09:26 PM

Don't worry, LoveBug. Sharon obviously doesn't understand. A vehicle can sometimes transcend mere transportation, becoming both a symbol of freedom and an extension of self. Kinda like a cowboy and his horse.  

But, uh, a beetle?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
16 posted 2000-07-09 11:31 PM

An extension of self? I guess that makes me a Grand Dam(e)?
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
17 posted 2000-07-10 01:18 AM

And I really should be in that Lotus by now but till then....gee haw,,guess I am a cowboy in my Bronco

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
18 posted 2000-07-10 02:29 AM

So do I get to be a Porshe? A lot of fun to ride, but a pain in the ass to maintain?
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
19 posted 2000-07-10 09:48 PM

Um... well... an extension of self, you say...  My choice on the lot when I bought mine was my jalopy or a four-wheeler... I'm just not a four wheel kinda girl, I guess.. I just wish those silly Brits made the electrical systems work better..  

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 07-10-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » In your opinion, what makes a classic...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary