navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Your Job
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Your Job Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Bruce
since 2000-08-02
Posts 15
Internet, Cyber-Space, Everywhere

0 posted 2000-08-03 09:26 PM

I just started a new job this week. I'm a janitor now with some general maintence thrown in. You would not believe what some of these people in this office do! One guy throws a half a can of Mountain Dew into his trash can. So if I'm not careful, I end up wearing it! And last night I found a pair of panty hose in some woman's trash ( I know it was a woman, she had a cup on her desk with lipstick stains on it).

I like the job, but they don't see me. I'm invisible. Like I'm not even real. It's ok for now but I don't think I want to be the guy that you can see through.

So I really wanted to know - what was the worst job you ever had?

© Copyright 2000 Bruce Doe - All Rights Reserved
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
1 posted 2000-08-04 11:33 AM

I'm not sure I ever had a job I didn't like Bruce, although I admit to having plenty of weird ones...LOL

I worked in a factory when I was about 15, well 2 factories, one where I had to check to see if there was the right amount of cream on top of chocolate mousses and yep, you guessed, I used to eat them if there wasn't...ooops but the perks were that I used to bring home stacks of cream and I lived in a home at that time so I was very popular...*g*

The 2nd was a ball bearing factory where there were 6 parts to the job and everyone got rotated each hour but you stayed in the same team, boring as anything but the people were great..  

As for being invisible, yep, some people like to pretend they are better than anyone else but we're all human and lets face it, one day they may not be quite so lucky and end up without a job or better still they'll go for an interview and who will be behind the desk, you !

I wish you luck but I don't think you need it..  

HUGS

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 08-04-2000).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2000-08-04 11:38 AM

I was married.
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2000-08-04 11:39 AM

Oh, and welcome to Passions!
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
4 posted 2000-08-04 12:04 PM

Jobs? They all suck! Hehehehe...well, currently I'm cashiering, and it's both good and bad...just depends on how the managers and customers treat you. I've had managers that want to walk all over me (at one time I was scheduled to work 6 1/2 hours when I had school the next day), and I've had customers that have everything all wrong and are dead set convinced they are right, like they'll grab the wrong brand instead of the brand that's on sale, and act like it's the store's fault they grabbed the wrong one. Wonderful people! They're not all like that, thankfully. I've met some really nice customers. Heck, some of my managers are even decent!  

Elizabeth

Why ME???

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2000-08-04 02:26 PM

Can't say that I've ever had a boring job...

but your job as a custodian brought to mind my father. He worked as a school custodian. I was very proud of him, because he did something that I thought was very special, and in fact, sometimes I had wished that I were the child being kept after school.

My Dad had that ability to take a bad situation [detention] and helped, in his way, to turn a kid around. And he took a few of them and got them to see what track they were on, and where it would take them if they didn't straighten out.  Only a few words needed to be said, I was never privy to them, but chances were, if my Dad could have just a few moments, he never saw them in detention again, and saw quite a few of them graduate!

So I guess that's where I got the idea that every job/any job, is exactly what one makes of it!

Welcome to Passions!

Karilea
When you want to be loved, look within...KRJ

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
6 posted 2000-08-04 07:14 PM

Hmmmm.....Worst job?
I'd have to say Radioligy. Not so much the job it's self, but people.
It was very sad to get to know so many terminally ill people and watch them die. That was the only thing that was so tough. Though, I will tell you
one thing.... I sure learned to be grateful for what I
have and try not to complain about life too much.
And when I do.... I just remind myself...it could always be worse!~

And Chris...LOL.. ..Hehe
< !signature-->

~Sheri

[This message has been edited by Irie (edited 08-04-2000).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2000-08-04 07:55 PM

I've worked as a waitress..hated it! Worked retail - fabric store, linen store, drug store..it was ok. I've done some 'phone work'    and that was ok..
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

8 posted 2000-08-04 09:46 PM

Welcome to Passions!  

Hmmmmmm...how gross - mountain dew - I mean really, that's a FILTHY drink isn't it?

It'll probably get easier...

my worst job?

One day in a salad bar.... ~shudder~ it was awful...

K

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
9 posted 2000-08-04 10:29 PM

Once I had a job - or three (in one day) that made me leave the house... stole me thrashing and screaming away from my computer... sent me into the throes of Passionate withdrawal.... I had to quit - went on UnemPassionment..... found my way back to my computer.... and to you and your wonderful poet friends, Bruce... ... sure am gettin' hungry, though...
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2000-08-05 01:38 AM

The worst job that there ever will be is sitting through any kind of math class. And you don't even get paid!  

(Oh, and welcome to Passions!   )

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde
"The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief" -Shakespea

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
11 posted 2000-08-05 04:00 PM

I have pondered this question and I think the worst job I ever had was when I was 14 and I wanted to ride horses. The only way I could do that was to get a job with the guy that owned them. So everyday during one spring and summer (weekends included) I had to go muck horse stalls. Nasty job!! Didn't mind the care and feeding of those magnificent steeds but cleaning the stalls was awful! At least I got to ride and that was all that made it worth it.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
12 posted 2000-08-05 05:27 PM

hehe lets see ...worst job ... think I will have  to make this a prose submission or something, (it's all in the details ya  know and there are lots of those...) but think Chris is hitting it pretty close on the head ... just change was married to am married add 4 kids and a secreterial position to it and  that about does it lol
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
13 posted 2000-08-05 06:44 PM

CLEANING STABLES  

Welcome to passion's

The best and most beaytiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched...but are felt in the heart (Helen Keller)

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
14 posted 2000-08-06 07:51 AM

Ok...which one of you has the alias? LOL

Yeah, that's right I caught ya! (although a little late) but I caught ya none-the-less  

I just went to the Countless Horizons site

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
15 posted 2000-08-06 09:53 AM

Does 3 years in the Army count as a job???   And I would be careful you may actually start to like being Bruce!!..lol< !signature-->

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".  

[This message has been edited by Prometheus (edited 08-06-2000).]

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
16 posted 2000-08-06 03:10 PM

Selling beauty promotion vouchers on the street, I was getting paid by commission and actually lost money trying to support myself while working. After a week and half and only three sales they asked me to leave.

"To the centre of the
city where all roads
meet, waiting for you,To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank,
searching for you," Joy divison

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
17 posted 2000-08-06 03:25 PM

i was just browsing around and i found this one. i would have to say my worst job was a job i went to with my sister. a telemarketing job. the only reason i went was cause of the pay. i ended up sitting on the phone for 3 1/2 hours. it was horrible it was quiet. not a like mouse quiet but an erie quiet. that was my first and last day at the job.
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
18 posted 2000-08-07 09:45 AM

Oh boy ... the worst job I had was "indoor pool cleaner/housekeeper" at what could only be termed as a mansion when I was about 17. The man's house was beside the nursing home he ran ... Monday and Friday I worked in the nursing home, and the rest of the week, cleaned up at the house, and got to know the family. I did this one whole summer, and was soooo grateful when it was over. Here's the saddest part though ... within a few months, this "man" was charged with hiring hitmen, stopping at the side of the road with his wife and nephew to "help" the hitmen who had "car trouble", and watched as they killed her. Nightmares to say the very least.
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

19 posted 2000-08-08 01:08 AM

The worst job I ever had was my first job...waitressing. People can treat you like dirt, but you have to be nicey, nicey. You also take the blame for the entire restaurant...how the food's cooked, running out of items, if the place is too hot or too cold. Good waitresses and waiters deserve a lot of credit and good tips! I know I could never do it again.

BTW...Welcome!
Kris

the poet's pen...gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name ~ Shakespeare

Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
20 posted 2000-08-08 03:20 AM

I'm putting my money on Christopher LOL

It's you isn't it?

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
21 posted 2000-08-08 10:42 AM

While Christopher is the most likely candidate, I would be careful placing a bet...( I would not put it above that bunch to put forth a ringer)....lol

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

Bruce
since 2000-08-02
Posts 15
Internet, Cyber-Space, Everywhere
22 posted 2000-08-08 12:28 PM

Thank you Chris for telling me about this.

Ummm... Why do you guys think that Christopher is me? I'm just curious. I'm actually honored that you might think my writing is the same quality level as his. But I don't think it is really that similar. Just that I am curious.

Bruce

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

23 posted 2000-08-08 09:26 PM

Well Bruce...it was prolly the mountain dew reference - you read mountain dew, and you read Chris. ~Shrug~ don't let it get to you...you have a great writing style of your own I reckon...

K

Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
24 posted 2000-09-18 07:19 AM

Ok So if it isn't Chris then who is it?????
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
25 posted 2000-09-18 10:24 AM

For those who haven't been over to Countless Horizons, Bruce is also the Janitor there, with some wonderfully witty prose about the goings on there.

As per the question, well, I've had a slew of jobs over the last 10 years, and some of them have been downright horrible. Like the 2-day stint at Taco Hell (Taco Bell), or the 3 months doing decontamination at a nuclear plant, or 2 weeks of telemarketing. Right now, I fix vacuums. No, not the celestrial kind, but the ones that really suck...at least when they're working. It has its moments. And it's bad moments, like when you discover that the owner of the vac uses the wand attachment to pick up little FiFi's 'accident'...and lemme tell ya...that is not a pretty sight nor smell after little FiFi's 'accident' has been in the bag, or worse yet, jammed in the hose, for several very hot weeks. Need I draw a picture?

Well, that's about all for now...time to pull yet another shift...

sweetcollege_girl
since 1999-12-03
Posts 872
just about where I want to be
26 posted 2000-09-18 02:06 PM

My worst job is the one I have now...washing dishes in a restaurant! I hate it! People never see me, since I'm stuck back in the kitchen where it is hot and stuffy...the prep cook is one cocky son of a gun, and the cook thought she was my boss! I've been working there over a month now, and things are getting better. But it still sucks!  

~*~SCG~*~

"Poetry is what makes the invisible appear"-Author Unknown

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
27 posted 2000-09-18 05:55 PM

Ive only had one job, and Ive managed to keep it for two whole years.  I started as a cashier at the all powerful Wal*mart.  Then they moved me to layaway, and man does that suck.  Especialy around Christmas time.  You run your rear end off for 8 and a half hours trying to help as many craby and rude customers as you can before the store closes at 11, and then spend the next hour cleaning the place up.  What a way to spend friday and saturday night.  In my time there I have been, slashed, stabbed(by the insides of a security tag, man those things are sharp.), burned, shocked, bashed, bumped, bruised, crushed and had all sorts of chemicals dumped on my clothes.  But hey, that paycheck every two weeks, that the government sees fit to take a quarter of(but thats another story) makes it all worth while........ NOT!!!!
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
28 posted 2000-09-18 09:25 PM

Well, Bruce, you know I've only had one job....and it's both the best and the worst. On a good day I'm with a bunch of cute, cuddly babies who giggle and do hillarious things....on a bad day, they're all little monsters out to make me as angry as possible, LOL.  And as for who you are, well, that's easy!  Shouldn't everyone recognize a talent as unique as yours?  Sheesh....

*Krista Knutson*

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucious

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
29 posted 2000-09-18 09:26 PM

Well, Bruce, you know I've only had one job....and it's both the best and the worst. On a good day I'm with a bunch of cute, cuddly babies who giggle and do hillarious things....on a bad day, they're all little monsters out to make me as angry as possible, LOL.  And as for who you are, well, that's easy!  Shouldn't everyone recognize a talent as unique as yours?  Sheesh....

*Krista Knutson*

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucious

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
30 posted 2000-09-20 11:10 PM

Nope.  Can't be Chris -- not obnoxious (or annoying) enough.  

As to your question ... I would have to say waiting tables is the worst job in the world ... it was the brain child of some cruel, diabolical soul lounging in the pits of Hell:

"I've got it!  Let's create an occupation where someone has to : 1)deal with even the rudest, nastiest, people, and still be nice to them in order to get paid! 2)Be a silent observer to the aforementioned's odd or revolting eating habits and table manners, and then has to clean up after them; and 3) get paid half minimum wage!"

Satan was one happy sucker that day, let me tell ya ...

--Kess

YOUR LIFE IS A TEST

It is only a test ...

If this were your Actual Life, you would have been given better instructions!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Your Job

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary