navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I've had it: right up to here!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I've had it: right up to here! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom

0 posted 2000-09-25 07:46 PM

Being a lover of MS, I've always admired the concepts: the visions...

Tonight however, I'm throwing in the towel...I've had it...I'm giving up....

I've faithfully understood, found reason and answer with every hiccup...but now....I end it...MS is finally off my passions list...why?

I sent several emails over the course of Friday and Saturday morning...read them again after I sent them, moved them into their alloted folders to ensure they contained all necessary information pertaining to work and personal interests....

Tonight, I went to read again, making sure everything was as it should be and they're gone....all that I wrote, all that I read from Friday midday are gone......with some crazy message about 'not having been downloaded'...yet they have all been read since....*sigh*

I'm fed-up of beta testing MS, I'm fed-up: fullstop!

Crappy programming, malfunctioning software....every single software house is too busy bring out new versions and failing to correct the old first....

In all the time I have trained in MS I have never known such a total lack of faith...tonight, the penny has dropped...we're no longer in a world of gadgets made to last, it's a here today - gone tomorrow concept...

and along with that, every thought, every emotion can no longer be guaranteed to arrive at its destination...I'm back to writing on paper and licking the stamp...

and just to end things in a nice way...I'm heartilly sick of being tracked by a faulty mouse, that's erratic at best....

Mr Gates, you had my admiration: now; you have my total frustration with your inability to resolve bugs before going on to produce enhanced, superior, bug containing software....

How the heck can I continue to teach, when I can't resolve anything because too many bugs have not been patched? and never will be: instead, you'll release newer software with even more bugs and no remedy...to the cost of us all!

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 09-25-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Cindy Jones - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-09-25 09:26 PM

Whew! I think you should send this to Bill Gates! Very articulate RG!

I love computers, but if I get the blue screen of death one more time, I'll have to get a new one right? sigh!

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
2 posted 2000-09-25 10:15 PM

Phew! Send it to him, I agree with Sharon on this one! I haven't a clue, but I know this dumb IE keeps telling me there's errors, ever since the 'new' version was downloaded. Grrr.....Piece of ....
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2000-09-25 10:38 PM

Truer words were never spoken ... frustrated to heck myself ... care to send this note via a merangue pie???  
Wilfred Yeats
Member Elite
since 2000-08-04
Posts 2704
Wilmington, Delaware
4 posted 2000-09-26 01:18 AM

You can write - but it will do no good - Ole Bill is a marketing genius - he does not care a rat's a** about making sure all bugs are out - but venting is good - i write such letters - for ME -not because I expect anything from Mr Gates. btw - squander some money on a mouse without a ball - (i.e. like the MS explorer mouse) they work anywhere and nevere need to be taken apart to clean the lint off the rollers - finally - unless you're game oriented - don't stay with windows for home use (w95,w98 or w-me) rather go to Windows NT or windows 2000) not perfect - but much more stable.  I teach Access- (among other things) at a local college - I know your frustrations believe me!

~You have to have a dream so you can get up in the morning.

~ Billy Wilder

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2000-09-26 03:23 AM

Ok - guessin' I'll be one of the first to admit that I'm a MS junkie!

Bill Gates is my hero! I wanna be just like him when (if) I grow up!!! Bugs, bad publicity, all the curses in the world don't stop him laughing all the way to the bank! (Actually, he probably has people go to the bank for him...)

I LOVE Microsoft products!!! And - I will say - for home use, I suggest Windows Me. I've been running it a couple of weeks now, and have noticed a large improvement. Some of the interface is a bit clumsy (why, oh why do they keep having to change the "New Folder" shortcut keys with every release???) But over all, I have experienced far fewer crashes, and several of my programs which had problems in 98 are running smooth as silk in Me. They have new games (about time!) The home networking is really simple now. And they finally have a few new icons that look more updated, and less like a throwback to 3.1!

As a side note in reference to Wilfred's statement of going with Nt or 2000: Windows 2000 is basically a hyped-up version of NT. The underlying structure is the same... as it is with Me. Microsoft is apparently trying to merge the 9x versions in with the NT/2000 versions, to make a single OS for use in home or office.

I use Internet Explorer V5.50 and have had zero problems with it. (Contrary to my ongoing issues with Netscape... grrrrrr) I run Microsoft Money for all my financial tracking. The new Media Player with Me has some really neat features as well as the ability to open virtually any media I ask it to so far. Outlook Express has become my favorite companion, allowing me not only to stay updated on all incoming mail, but also providing the means to order my mail into groups, etc, and to back the messages up. As Wilfred said, I use the MS Explorer, wih an infared optic sensor! (LOVE it!!!)

There are only about two things which I don't like from MS. One, is Hotmail. It is the work of Satan, I'm positive, and will be mankind's downfall. Be wary ye who succumb to its smooth talk of free mail - for it is the master of deception! The other is MS Office - and that's only because with the new (2000) version, it pops open a new $#@@$%@ window for every instance of Word you want to invoke... which is a royal pain in the...

Anyway, Bill, I'm expecting my check in the mail here any day now...

Chris

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 09-26-2000).]

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
6 posted 2000-09-26 06:02 AM

Thanks guys...*g*

Oh boy, I don't think I have ever seen that particular fault before....headers are there,  content has gone!! ROFL...followed by Argh !!!!!!! and there is absolutely no way to get them back either...

If I hadn't actually been reading them afterwards I would seriously suspect myself of hallucination..

I hate, loathe, abhor unreliability in software..ooops

As for the suggestions on ME or 2000, I agree they are more stable but they are basically the same product with a few enhancements and unfortunately some software can't be run using it yet or there is not yet an update available for some of the progs I run..

Actually I do admire BG but this situation is just getting ridiculous..

Thanks for letting me vent...*g*  I think I was sending out enough current last night to light the town up...ROFL

HUGS all

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2000-09-26 07:28 AM

Hmmmm..... Whatever are you talking about?? I use Netscape rather than IE (though I do have it)... I don't download via AOL - and all I have to deal with is Netscape freaking out on me and telling me it's shutting down because of "illegal operations"...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I've had it: right up to here!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary