navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I found a new one!!!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I found a new one!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2000-11-05 01:55 AM

Walking through Target tonight with my niece, I was appaled at the amazingly large amount of Christmas stuff all over the place - I know it may just be my imagination - but doesn't it seem like the decorations go up earlier and earlier evey year? I do not want to hear "Jingle Bells" in the beginning of November!

© Copyright 2000 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
EagleOne
Member Elite
since 2000-03-07
Posts 2829
Between a laugh and a tear...
1 posted 2000-11-05 02:15 AM

Hey Christopher! It's not your imagination!In one of my local stores over here they've had decorations on sale for the past 4 weeks!!!!!

"The heart and soul have no illusion of boundries when friendship is the quest"
~ My Angel.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
2 posted 2000-11-05 03:36 AM

Ahh - well, I do have to admit that shopping and I aren't on close terms... so they may well have been out before... LOL You have my sympathy!

C

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2000-11-05 07:54 AM

Hm... On Cape Cod we have several "Christmas Tree Shops" that are open all year.  Believe it or not, people flock to them.... all year..
Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2000-11-05 01:53 PM

Well over here in Puerto Rico we had the decorations up in mid October....scary eh?

"I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust."

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2000-11-05 01:55 PM

I think the stores, in general, should wait until the day after Thanksgiving, as they used to do. The way they do it now, by the time Christmas does actually get here, you are just about sick of it all.

Denise

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2000-11-05 03:44 PM

Jingle bells!  Batman smells!
Robin laid an egg!
Batmobile lost a wheel
So the Joker got away. . . HEY!!!

EVERYBODY!!!!!

Now, what's wrong with that??  

Here in Michigan, we have Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. . . the world's biggest Christmas store. . . www.bronners.com. . . and I love it. . . you think that the beginnig of November is early?  Try the first week of July!!!  LOL

A visit there is something to make you remember that it can be "Christmas the whole year through. . . "

(lol   )

---------------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2000-11-05 05:11 PM

I was teaching much of last week and, because of the new time change, always ended up making that long drive home in the dark. All but a few miles of the trip is along rural back roads, wending through several very small villages. So there I was, zipping along (oh, maybe just two or three mph over the speed limit), when the corner of my eye caught a flashing blue light and my right foot moved to the brake pedal seemingly of its own volition.

Imagine my surprise when I realized the light was not, as I feared, a bubble gum machine, but rather a Christmas tree silhouetted in the front window of a roadside house. Some people simply have no patience, I guess. Nor do they realize what they did to my poor heart.

A few years ago, had you asked, I would have told you I believed Christmas should be relegated to just three days of the year. On December 24, everyone would go shopping and buy the decorations and presents. On the 25th, everyone would give the gifts away. And, of course, on the 26th, we would all clean up the mess the decorations made and return the gifts that don't fit because we ate too much the day before.

I've done my Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve for the past twenty years, and it works fine. Except, that is, in Michigan. I've finally learned why people start this stuff so early in the year. Last year, on Christmas Eve, it was about twenty below zero and shopping sucked. I learned my lesson. This year my shopping is nearly finished and will definitely be done before the first snow flake falls.

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
8 posted 2000-11-05 05:46 PM

LOL Chris I've noticed that too, they are usually out before Halloween is up.

and as for shopping at the last minute Ron, that's me. And the lines SUCK! It's a mad house out there, and why do I still do it?
Don't know....could have something to do with that last check of the week. LOL

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
9 posted 2000-11-05 06:32 PM

I'm a Christmas-aholic. I admit it. It's the one time of year when everyone lives up to my expectations and are nice to each other. Please give gifts and share and generally smile a lot!!! So the earlier we can start, the better it is for me!

I usually shop for 'generic' gifts the year before - at those wonderful holiday sales. I got some great deals on crystal last year - so guess what's in THAT box!!

I also buy one ornament a year. Something to remind me of the year past. This year I bought a Hawaiian fish (the state fish!) to hang on my tree. Sure, it's not a designer tree, but it's filled with so many memories it takes me almost a week to decorate it - each ornament brings back memories that I savor.

But then again, it comes down before the last day of the year...I like it neat and tide before the new year begins. Start as you mean to go on.... happy holidays everyone!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
10 posted 2000-11-05 06:41 PM

You mean you can shop before Christmas Eve???

Wow! What an idea!  

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
11 posted 2000-11-05 09:33 PM

What a concept huh Chris?  I'll have to try that sometime. Maybe then we wouldn't be aware of just how much we spent at Christmas time. LOL
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
12 posted 2000-11-06 12:50 PM

YES ITS VERY ANNOYING! I just avoid the section altogether until after Thanksgiving! LOL! Oh well..It feels rebellious against their trying to drive advertising down my throat too early! YEAH!! I AVOID IT! CAN  YOU   FEEL  THAT?? HUH??  NA NA NA NA NA!!
*Sticks out tongue to the too early advertisers*
Now..I feel better.
Thanks Christopher!

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
13 posted 2000-11-06 10:56 AM

I don't shop late -- I hide my presents at the store...  
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
14 posted 2000-11-06 11:48 AM

Ah shucks, Chris, I think Christmas should be celebrated year round, (and don't laugh, I'm not joking).  I do not, however, think the vendors who peddle it should.  Lets face it, Christmas is not something that can ever be bought in a store or found in a Santa on a street corner anyway.  It's just a shame that Christmas has become the tainted prop that it has...

You brought up your niece... I wonder just how many four and five year olds are even taught the  true meaning of Christmas these days.  I have to wonder as an adult when I, myself, really became aware of what Christmas was supposed to mean.  Point being... if society, as a whole, refuses to respect something good in nature and meant to be a blessing for all of us, how can we then ***** and moan about those we've let pollute it and demean it to the point it rests at today?

Just my take,

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 11-06-2000).]

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
15 posted 2000-11-06 05:05 PM

Wow! This is really something to celebrate--a valid complaint from Christopher!  

In all seriousness, it drives me crazy. This year, retailers advertised back-to-school merchnadise right after the Fourth of July, Halloween decorations went up at the end of August, and Christmas decorations are now up directly after Halloween.   One of the houses on my block is decorated with Christmas lights and a large plastic light-up snowman. Saddest thing is, everyone forgets the Christ part.

Elizabeth

You cling to your ways and leave mine to me.
Suum cuique.
~Elizabeth

Elizabeth Cor
since 2000-10-13
Posts 879
Over the river and through the woods
16 posted 2000-11-06 09:01 PM

Amen! For the record, Target had Christmas decorations out WITH the Halloween goodies. Can't they wait until after Thanksgiving???
I HATE it when stores DO this.
And if it's sales we're already josteled by, let me tell you a little secret: Pizza Hut was trying to devise a way to project their trademark on the MOON! The only reason they were unable: the price tag was too heavy. I can't even imagine how rightfully enraged I would be if I saw a freakin' logo on the moon.
Ba Humbub!

~ Beth

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
17 posted 2000-11-06 09:34 PM

Chris~
You always have something new to complain about but thats ok. I actually like the idea of winter being so close and with decorations being put up. That makes it seem like summer is right around the corner.

~*Love is sometimes like a rose. Beautiful in the beginning but dies in the end.*~

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
18 posted 2000-11-07 12:31 PM

make the bad man stop!!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I found a new one!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary