navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Dial Up vs. Cable
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dial Up vs. Cable Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon

0 posted 2000-12-02 01:17 PM

Well, I spent 3 weeks waiting for some installer to come and install my cable modem. It never seemed to work right but every time I called their "tech support" they told me that the grid was down in the Northwest or even better, just Idaho and Washington and Connetticut. That made no sense. For 5 days they told me that. Then I got ahold of a "real" tech support guy and he says nothing like that happened so he tried to help me get back on line. Well, our first guy (the installer) apparently did not install it right to begin with (imagine that!!) and they can't get someone out here to fix it until the 12th of Dec. I am VERY unhappy with their service!! Anyway, today I went and got the bluelight special freebie from K-Mart. After much cussing and reconfigging I finally am up and running again though I cannot access my email from my outlook express and I know I have about 125 messages in there. Anyway to those of you who have emailed me please email me thru my address on my profile. This really bites!!! Anyway, thanx for letting me vent. Shawna

How can you save me?
When the dark comes right in and takes me,
from my front walk and into bed,
where it kisses my face and eats my head. Shivaree

© Copyright 2000 Shawna R. Holder - All Rights Reserved
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
1 posted 2000-12-03 03:04 PM

Shawna it does bite doesn't it?
The one reason I won't get one, is because it's not guaranteed to NOT be interrupted, and not to mention you have to pay them, plus your IP. That just mounts up to WAY to much for me.

Let us know when you get back to email and all.  HUGz

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
2 posted 2000-12-03 06:12 PM

Well, after much screaming at the people with the cable company they finally had my husband go out and check a couple of things and guess what? They put a filter on it to block my service!!! My neighbor has the same service and he did not pay his bill, so they sent someone to put a filter on it and they put it on the wrong cable box!!! Boy, was I ticked!!! Anyway, I am finally back together and very happy to be so. Did not much care for the blue light special but it works in a pinch. Thanks for letting me vent.  

How can you save me?
When the dark comes right in and takes me,
from my front walk and into bed,
where it kisses my face and eats my head. Shivaree

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2000-12-03 10:23 PM

OMG!! We got some real competent people working there don't we? LOL  I would have been cussin right there beside you, not to mention telling em off too.

Oh man, I'm laughing at their stupidity, even though it's not funny because it was at your expense.  I'd tell em to make it up to you, take it off what you owe for the first month, they owe you that much.

No problem, we all need to vent.  Bigger HUGz

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2000-12-05 04:58 PM

Hmm - well I don't know how much you care, but here's my op.

Dialup - SUCKS. Prehistoric! If you can get away from it - do so at ALL costs!!!

Cable - Good, fast speeds for downstream, fair upstream. The big drawback to Cable is that the more people who attach to the same line, the more your bandwidth decreases. While still much better than dialup - cable can become frustrating if you have a good amount of users on the same LAN line.

DSL - in my op, DSL is the best personal method of Internet connection. While it's downstream speeds are often capped depending on things like the age and condition of your phone lines, the distance from the hub, etc., they're still considerably better than the best dialup connection. FOr example, the lines in my house are old and I'm a good distance away, so they had to cap my line to reduce the problems caused by the varying capacitance... so I'm capped at 360kbps. Not too damn bad if you ask me! And, you can get up to 1.2mbps upstream (last I heard)... I don't wait. For example, if I want to download an Mp3 that's 4M, it takes me about two and a half minutes. When I had dialup, the same song would take me 35 minutes.  

THEN, if you have the money and desire - go with a T3.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Dial Up vs. Cable

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary