navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Future of Passions
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Future of Passions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2008-09-17 02:07 AM

I wonder if you think the future of Passions will be longterm or shortterm?  Do you think Passions will live much longer than our generation and after we are gone, or shall it basically end up being abandoned and lost, especially when Ron may no longer be able to maintain it anymore?  For by nature we all need to move on in one way or another. How will it be made sure that the site will be kept up in the future?  Or will all our work just end up as "dust" in about a hundred years?

© Copyright 2008 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

1 posted 2008-09-17 02:55 AM

99.999999% ends up as dust in 100 days!

But anyway, I guess we are dependant on the size of Ron's, er, server, and at the mercy of his imagination.

The power, the power.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2008-09-17 08:45 AM

Much of that, I would guess, depends on our fearless leader, and any plans he might have for that unfortunate event.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2008-09-17 09:38 AM

When I joined in 1999, it wasn't too long after that when PiP wasn't available for a day or so because so many people signed up and/or there was an electrical glitch, something like that.

I panicked! All the new folks I met - all the poetry I hadn't backed up...OMG...I literally, suddenly, felt cut off from the world. I had already come to know this family of poets as just that, people I knew I would never abandon.

Since then, I have been grateful for each day that PiP lives. I've also been extremely grateful for the off-site friendships that have developed. So, whether PiP survives for several more decades, or disappears tomorrow, the friendships that I have made in these last nine years is what really matters.

And what can be considered either long or short term? Against what parameter are you measuring a site's longevity? Isn't the internet new enough [still] that we do not have a set length of time against which a site dies? Perhaps Ron will even make internet history of having one of the largest, longest surviving sites ever!

As for things going to dust...that's all possible, of course. But then, books have lived a longer life than 100 years...so it's quite possible that this site could, too, in ways we may not even comprehend yet.

Interesting question, Ess. Thanks!

echolong
since 2008-09-17
Posts 22

4 posted 2008-09-17 10:15 AM

I know a poem site (star##cafe). When owner Robert passed away, A father-son team took over and continue running it. And it is still a very good site.   PIP is even a better site, so I think its life will continue gracefully living without Ron (what a dreadful thing!!!!)

His poem will be here
His spirit will be here
And he will be still invisible to all
behind the blue

Echo

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2008-09-24 01:55 AM

Well if you have been saving your work as you go along posting it here at Passions, and running off the ones you enjoy from other poets, it will last as long as you let it I suppose.  I for one sure am grateful for my time here at Passions and won't ever forget this place, or the friendships I have made here.  I am so grateful to our benefactor, for all the time, effort and the money he has so graciously given us creating this very safe place on the internet to share the love of writing.

So in answer to your question then.  To me, the future of Passions definitely is about as long term as I am, and what evidence of this experience I leave behind to honor what I created here at this great place.  This may be the only time I ever wished Ron wouldn't do something soon.      

Ron

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2008-09-24 09:59 AM

Surely you're not asking for a guarantee in life, Essorant??? ")

There's a difference between move on and diversify. My stockbroker assures me of that! Or, as grandma used to say, "Don't put all of your begs into one ask it."

Will everything turn to dust? Sure...including us. That doesn't mean we don't continue on? Course not. Ron's gift of hard work and dedication has blessed us for years. SHould it continue for twenty more years or twenty more minutes, we should simply be happy for the time it's here and for the opportunities it's provided to us.

if you're looking for immortality, publish a book of poetry and, as long as one copy of that book exists somewhere, you remain alive. Paper is much more durable than electrons, anyway.

My eyes get too strained looking into the horizon. it's easier to simply look one step ahead...

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
7 posted 2008-11-06 08:46 AM

Well I can speak for myself and hope I echo those who have been gone for an extended period of time only to come back and find that PIP is not only still going strong but has grown by leaps and bounds in the five years since I have been gone... and returning still feels like coming home.

Passions is more than a place to place your poems and have them commented on... there are many places on the internet to do just that but none of them have managed to create the friendly, caring home away from home that Passions has.

Shan

visitvenus
since 2002-12-30
Posts 101
PA, USA
8 posted 2008-11-09 10:23 PM

I have a tendency to come and go (especially everytime I change computers and lose all my bookmarks!)

Every time I come back I find the poets I loved before and new poets to fall in love with.

I'll be heart broken if after one of my absentee stints I find that I can't come home again!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2008-11-09 11:41 PM

There's only one person qualified to answer this question.

I'm sure he'll show up sooooooon though.  

*chuckle*

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Future of Passions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary