navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Basic, Simple Question...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Basic, Simple Question... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg

0 posted 2006-10-05 03:03 AM

What the heck does everyone do when they have writer's block?

I've got wicked writer's block---and nothing will help cure it!

I usually go the "try something new and see if it clicks" method...but even that's not getting me anywhere.

Any ideas? Anyone?

© Copyright 2006 Alex-lee Hryhorczuk - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2006-10-05 06:22 AM

Read another's poetry  until something touches or sets off a memory or even if you like a particular line of theirs..give them the credit and use it to work off.
Silent Prisoner
since 2006-02-15
Posts 39
Around Somewhere
2 posted 2006-10-05 05:10 PM

Man I wish I had that answer. I had writers block for three or four months now, its the writers block of doom. I usually try to relax and reflect or go outside but nothing has been helping me. I hope you have better luck. ~Silent

"I will give you my strength and my will to live strong."

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
3 posted 2006-10-05 06:02 PM

Huh, join the club man, we wear club pins and matching sweaters and bowling night is on Friday, lol.

I'm just coming off a two month writer's block period and my comeback is slow to say the least. I've been writing poetry for over ten years now and I've only had a problem with writer's block the last four. It's just weird like that I suppose.
     I suggest watching good movies (not Dukes of Hazard or Scary Movie but really good ones. Akira Kurosawa, Fritz Lang, Werner Herzog are great directors to look up.) Also like nakdthoughts, I recommend reading a lot; not just poetry but books as well. And try to have fun at whatever you like to do. Do whatever makes you happy and that should get your creative juices going; because inspiration is bliss. Good luck.    Cheers  - Ed

Once you are truly insane, it’s all picnics with Kafka after that. See, it’s the process of going crazy that you gotta worry about.

Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
4 posted 2006-10-06 02:20 AM

Yeah. Looking at other's work is a good idea...

See, I'm not just talking about WRITING...but writing music as well. I've just got out of a writer's slump with poetry---but now I'm workin' on tunes again and I'm stumped as to where I'm taking my current endeavour.

It's all the same in the end tho...

Thanks for the help/attemps guys!
Don't poke my head in much anymore...forgive meh!

seraphin
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1004
Michigan
5 posted 2006-10-07 11:50 AM

Well, I have certain things I listen to that never fail to inspire me. Caoineadh Chu Chulainn (sp) from Riverdance works. Lately a song by James Blunt called "Cry" works, but depresses the living daylights out of me in the process.

Good luck, and I wish you a speedy exit from your existing block.

Sandra

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
6 posted 2006-10-07 11:57 PM

There are many tricks one can use to get the brain pan into gear:
1) Steal...uh... borrow a line from someone else's poem and start from thee.
2) If you are in the middle of a project, continue writing the last paragraph/line/word over and over until something else gets written.
3) (my personal favorite) Imagine this is paying your rent, and it's due tomorrow.

You may burn my flag... only after you wrap yourself in it first.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

sweetcollege_girl
since 1999-12-03
Posts 872
just about where I want to be
7 posted 2006-10-11 12:09 PM

Try having writer's block fo r 3 yrs o.o

I finally got 2 poems out, now I have it again

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Basic, Simple Question...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary