navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Rhyme Game
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Rhyme Game Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

0 posted 2001-02-20 12:25 PM

I just wanted to share a game that I made up a long time ago. It’s for anyone going on a long trip.
It’s a game played in the car while you are driving to help pass the time.
If you have a long drive ahead of you with friends or family it can past the time away amazingly fast. Sometimes a long drive can get pretty boring. Try the game, you’ll probably like it?

The Rhyme Game

Object of the Game
To rhyme the first “ word ” throughout the game.
Try to always have a “ rhyme word ” ready so that you are not the player everyone is waiting for.
*There is no time limit when other players are waiting for you to say a “rhyme word ” unless
everyone agrees for a time limit at the beginning of the game. (*I suggest no limit until you have
played the game a few times)

Rules and Starting the Game
To start the game the driver gets to pick the first “ word ”…just to save argument!
The first “ word ”can be anything the driver chooses!  
Each player’s turn is played in a clock-wise direction from the driver.
All players in the car have to think of another word/words that rhyme with the first “ word ” but he or she has to keep them to themselves until it is their turn otherwise the other players may use that word.
So after the first “ word ” has been said the next player in clock-wise direction gets to say his/her word that rhymes with the first “word ”. *But they can only say one word per turn. (This rule applies to everyone except for the winner at the end of that game)
Now the next person’s turn in the clock-wise direction gets to say their rhyming word.
Everybody says a rhyming word in turn until you think all the words have been exhausted. (Used up)

To End a Game
*You are the winner if most words have been said and the last opponent wants to give his or her last “rhyme word ” then you have to say two “ rhyme words ” within 2 minutes. If you only have one “ rhyme word ” nobody wins that game.
If you win the game, you get to pick the first “ word ” for the next game and then everything is clock –wise direction again for turns.  
If nobody wins that game, the first “ word ” for the next game is picked by the player to the right of the driver and so on.  

More Rules to Know
If any player says a “ rhyme word ” out of turn, other players may use that word as their own rhyme word, when it’s their turn. (* Do steal their word if you can before it gets to their turn again, this is part of the game)
You may quit at any time in the game… *But you can’t re-enter that same game with that “ rhyme word ”.    
You may enter the next game that has a “new word ”… But you can’t be the player to pick the first “new word ”.    
You can only use a “rhyme word ” once.
You cannot use a “ rhyme word ” that is spelled different but has the same rhyme as a word that has already been said…. example: If player one says the word “ no ” player two cannot say the word “ know ”. (This rule will help make the game less complicated)
You are allowed to put some pressure on the player who is taking too much time to “ rhyme ” a word but be gentle because you will see that the pressure will come to you sooner or later! Ha!
If a player says a word that nobody knows then all the other players vote whether that is a real word unless there is a dictionary in the car to prove it.
Sometimes when it’s a long game words will get repeated, so then a vote between the players is needed to decide if that player has to give another word.
You cannot skip your turn.
You cannot look through a dictionary or thesaurus while playing the game only if it’s needed for proof.  

*The game will go fast at first and then it will start to get intense when players start to run out of words to rhyme.
Sometimes for a joke I started the game with the word “ orange ” or “ purple ” because there is no real rhyme that I know of! (Try it!) Ha!
After a few games your trip will seem a lot shorter!
It’s easy to play, I hope you try “ The Rhyme Game ” the next time your on a long drive.

Have a nice day!      

[This message has been edited by insect (edited 02-21-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 insect - All Rights Reserved
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
1 posted 2001-02-20 09:28 AM

Sounds real interesting! I'll have to try that with my kids.

Thanks

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 posted 2001-02-20 06:14 PM

*eyes boggled*
look at all the RULES......

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

3 posted 2001-02-20 11:28 PM

Sorry if it looks confusing.

Basically all you have to do is rhyme a word in turn.
But after playing the game a few hundred times I found that
people cheat and speak out of turn, so I had to make some
rules to make the game fare for everyone. Your welcome to
change any of the rules yourself to make it easier or harder or
more fun in some way and since it’s a verbal game with no game
pieces or rules on paper I had to tell you all the rules that I made
up to keep the game working and fun!

[This message has been edited by insect (edited 02-21-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Rhyme Game

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary