navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Folding the Flag
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Folding the Flag Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes

0 posted 2005-08-19 01:40 PM

With military funerals being so much in the forefront of American's minds, I began thinking about them, and remembered something that someone told me about the flods in the National Colors meaning something. I did a little research, and found the following. I will warn my pagan brothers and sisters that it is highly biased to the Christian side of things... however, our ancestors weren't as kind and tolerant of religious preferences as they thought.

According to Providenceforum.org:

The flag folding ceremony represents the same religious proncipals on which our country was founded. At the ceremony of retreat (lowering the flag at night), the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle andkept under watch at night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead. The next morning it is brought out, and at morning colors, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.

Fold 1 (lengthwise, corners meeting): This fold is a symbol of life.
Fold 2 (lengthwise again, corners meeting, stars out): Symbolizing our belief in the eternal life
Fold 3 (stripe end, folding right corner diagnally to left side): In honor and rememberance of the departed veteran
Fold 4 (continue diagnal folding): This represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens we turn to G-d for His Diving guidance
Fold 5: This is a tribute to our country
Fold 6: This is for where our hearts lie, for it is with our hearts that we pledge allegiance.
Fold 7: A tribute to the Armed Forces
Fold 8: A tribute to the one who entered into the shadow of death and for his mother for whom the flag flies on Mother's Day
Fold 9: A tribute to womanhood, for it is the character of their love and devotion that made the character of the fighting men and women great.
Fold 10: A tribute to the father, for he, too, has given children to the defense of this country.
Fold 11: In the eyes of our Hebrew Brothers anbd Sisters, this represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies (in their eyes) the G-d of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Fold 12: This represents an emblem of eternity, and glorifies the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

The excess at the end gets tucked into the flag.

Once the flag is completly folded, the stars are the only thing showing, reminding us of our nation's motto: In G-d We Trust.
The shape of the flag after it is folded resembles a three cornered hat, and reminds us of the soldiers, Marines and sailors who served under George Washingtom and John Paul Jones.

Just something I thought all Americans should know.

http://www.mysticwicks.com
  (try the after dark section)

© Copyright 2005 Bradly Stott - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-08-19 01:57 PM

I knew of some of this history, Ringo, but not all of it. Thank you so much for sharing this with All Americans.
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2005-08-19 06:21 PM

This is awseome, I had NO idea.
I have wanted to have my stepdads flag
(WWII - Marines) folded and put into one of those military triangle wooden boxes, you know?  
With his rank and everything on it, for her.  They gave it to her at the funeral and I have it now.  

I have it folded, not like that, but so the flag shows some of the stars and stripes over the back of this antique rocking chair.  
Is that wrong?  It looks beautiful, isnt touching the ground and reminds me of him.

Thanks for that, Brad.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2005-08-19 06:26 PM

Thank you Ringo. I watch the security guards fold the flag and sometimes help. Some are very careful to get all the folds just so, others just fold it. I never heard the why of the how. marty
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2005-08-19 08:04 PM

Coming back to this....I remember...

When I was in CFG [Camp Fire Girls] we were taught how to fold the flag, but we were not given ALL of its meanings.  We knew there was a specific way to take it up at daybreak; bring it down at dusk; we were taught what it meant in the terms of country, honor, sacrifice;

but oh, I wish they had taught us all of the above. No way did I intend to hijack this thread...but a country's flag - any country's flag...

should always be respected.

Yes.  Any Country's Flag.

Even when we disagree.  So many decades/centuries ago...that at least was an honor bestowed on other countries.

We need to get back to honor.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2005-08-19 08:56 PM

Sunshine- I COMPLETLY agree with you about respecting any country's colors.... I try to instill that with my children... even the Iraqi flag, or the Russian Flag, or any of the other "bad guys" out there...
Hopefully more people will begin to think that way.

http://www.mysticwicks.com
  (try the after dark section)

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2005-08-19 09:17 PM

Side topic: care for the flag.  While in college in the early 90's, I was walking past the Admin building, where I always gave the civilian salute to the flag.  It was faded and very frayed.  Seperate streamers were whipping in the wind.  So I pulled a quick right, went into the Admin building, and asked the receptionist to speak with the university's president.  I was told he was very busy, so I chose to tell her the nature of the visit and went to leave.  Dr. Money (no lie, that was his name) came out of his office, saw me leaving, and spoke to his receptionist.  He called me back and we had a quick chat about the flag.  It was replaced the next day with the old one hand delivered to the closest VFW.

What does get me is when the Texan flag is flown lower than the US flag.  Texas does have the distinct right to fly at the same level as the US flag, provided the capital is not higher than the one on the US flagpole.  Being your own nation for 9 years has a few perks.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Folding the Flag

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary