navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Q strange question... even for me
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Q strange question... even for me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes

0 posted 2005-08-03 11:41 AM

I have a publisher asking for a collection of my scribbles, and I was considering sending in one of the "I AM" poems that Keep popping up (ok, ok... at MY doing   lol). The question I have:

What would be the copyright on them? I did not come up with the format, however the rest of the thoughts are completely my own.

I do not need to include it, just would like to add the last one I did.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mysticwicks.com
  (try the after dark section)

© Copyright 2005 Bradly Stott - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-08-03 11:50 AM

This is a toughie.  I don't think many have actually copyrighted poetry formats, but there's a first time for anything.  Hence the concern on that one, the concern being that any other I Am poems which follow the format given by XAngel back in 1998, which I think she got from her son who got it from his English teacher who either created it or got it elsewhere, could call into scrutiny those other poems.  Personally, I'd either hold onto that one, or give an explanation about the source format if you choose to include that one in your submitted collection of personal scribbles.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2005-08-03 12:02 PM

quote:
Personally, I'd either hold onto that one, or give an explanation about the source format if you choose to include that one in your submitted collection of personal scribbles.

Good advice. But "format", I believe, would be open - insomuch as one could [probably not] copyright the format of a sonnet, or free verse, etc.

However, a word to this publisher that "this particular format" stemmed from [this person] would not hurt. At least he would know you're up front!

Because, your own I Am poems are just that. Your poems.

Good luck, Ringo!

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-08-03 12:35 PM

Right Sunny One.

Though forms and formats are generally on the lines of beats, line counts, technique and so forth, the I Am template is rather specific in form and line themes, though not on rhythm, stresses or rhyme.

There probably wouldn't be an issue though.  Howsoever, never underestimate the unscrupulous.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2005-08-03 01:32 PM

quote:
never underestimate the unscrupulous

'Zactly, Ali. That's why you're the smart one!

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2005-08-03 08:07 PM

Thanks, guys... (and gals). I knew the Pip Crew would come across with some info.
I was going through the archives, and looking at a few that I haven't published here, and figured that I had enough wothout it, so I'll keep that one to enjoy for myself.

Thanks again.

http://www.mysticwicks.com
  (try the after dark section)

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2005-08-03 08:56 PM

Why not ask your editor?
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2005-08-03 09:24 PM

Ringo?

I was a tomboy long enough
I could be taken for a guy...

sometimes!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Q strange question... even for me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary