navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » comments for my project
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic comments for my project Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2001-03-17 12:12 PM

hi all

i am now doing a project on gender difference and will like to ask the following questions to gather more feedback

1)do you think you speak better than a typical member of the opposite gender?(by that i mean, do you think you pronounce words more correctly than a typical member of the opposite gender?)

2)which gender do you think pronounce words more accurately-men or women?

3)why do you respond as such to questions 1 and 2?are there any theories that can support your answers or intuition?

any help given will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

© Copyright 2001 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 posted 2001-03-17 12:22 PM

1. *I* think that *I* speak better than a lot of members of the opposite gender.

2. However I think that WOMEN pronounce their words more accurately.

3. I answered question one and two in accordance to my own experiences. Most kids my age where I live at speak SLANG/EBONICS. I think that if anybody would know how to speak correctly it'd be women due to their need to wise before men. You know how women are throwing this movement on us guys? Women's rights, equal opportunity, bla bla Some of it I agree with, but anyhow, I think that they feel they need to act out their intellect more than us men do.

I'm just talking from experience and random thoughts.....
Hope it helped......

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

2 posted 2001-03-17 12:28 PM

~For real?
Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
3 posted 2001-03-17 12:32 PM

Ditto to Javier.
1. Yes.
2. Women speak better most of the time, though.
3. I pronounce my words better than most people, therefore yes, I do better than those of the opposite gender. But that is personal opinion. I do believe that women have clearer voices than men just typically. That's why it's always the woman you hear saying "Self destruct sequence has been activated" or whatever, right?

If I had your eyes, I'd be blind. For I can only see out of my own. ~~Carly Van Dort

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2001-03-17 01:02 PM

I think men speak better.....their voices are so rich, and deep......husky.....oh opps, where was I going?!
really though, men do...I know because my husband pronounces everything corectly and perfectly......girls say "like" too much......and other wierd things........ SEA

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

5 posted 2001-03-17 01:20 PM

~Is this? I'm sorry to be such a pain - I was truly wondering. That's all. *Peace.

[This message has been edited by SpitFire (edited 03-17-2001).]

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
6 posted 2001-03-17 03:15 PM

I don't see any reason why gender can be a cause for difference in abilities of speach.

"So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this give life to thee." W.S.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

7 posted 2001-03-17 05:09 PM

Er.

This is kind of generalised - no offense, but there are lots of variables that are being ignored here.

Like - accents. Dialects. Is this on a local or national or global scale?

I don't think I could answer these questions - how on earth could these be determined - without control tests etc.

Just curious - what level project is this?

K

kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
8 posted 2001-03-17 10:21 PM

hi all,

no offense taken, Severn. You are right--this is a sweeping generalization.

i am in university now and am taking linguistics this semster. This module is titled language and society and for our term project, we will have to come up with gender differentiation. Our group decided to focus on speech and hence phonetics.....

acire, i believe gender is not a cause for differences in abilities of speech but gender can be a cause for differences in attitudes held towards speech...

this sem, i have learnt about William Labov(a leading sociolingistic) who has shown that women and men differ in their speech patterns.(women were found to pronounce the standard variant more often than men) and he explained such findings by claiming that women are more status-conscious than men and want to converge towards the speech forms of the upper classes(he has shown earlier that the upper classes tend to pronounce the standard variant more often)....

however, there is a lack of significant class division in Singapore(my country) and i am wondering about how best to explain our findings(yup, we found singapore females to be more articulate than males in general)

have i explained myself well enough?if not, just say so and i will be happy to clear up any doubts...

thanx for your help and interest and i hope to see more opinions too..

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » comments for my project

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary