navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » not a poem, just confused, need some help, thanks
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic not a poem, just confused, need some help, thanks Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
mysticpoe
since 2003-02-28
Posts 883

0 posted 2003-08-30 05:56 PM

Sorry to bother everyone here. But I'm a little confused regarding the meaning of poetry. The problem is, I've tried other sites boasting critical critique. Which is fine. But a few of these sites get down right ignorant ( in a personel way ). I view poetry as a way to express one's thoughts. I always cherished the thought in the write. How the poem is written and how good it is, merely depends on the person reading it. Whether or not you are a good poet depends on the eye of the beholder. It's our thoughts and feelings that we are trying to express, which I feel is important. Hell, one can get more attention selling pencils on the nearest street corner, than they can trying to become the so called professional poet. I really enjoy this site and the POETS on it. I have been told that your responses are nothing more than sweet accolades. If that's the case. There is nothing wrong with it. We enjoy the writings here and we're not trying to beat anybody else up in the process. Thus, taking away the joy instilled by all. Again, I apologize, but I just need to know how other's feel about the World of poetry and maybe their own feelings regarding these other so called sites. Thanks as always.

mysticpoe

[This message has been edited by mysticpoe (08-30-2003 06:00 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 mysticpoe - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-08-30 05:59 PM

Mystic, I'm going to move this to PiPTalk Lounge, as this is more of a discussion post, and we keep Open for poetry.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of input.

Thanks!

mysticpoe
since 2003-02-28
Posts 883

2 posted 2003-08-30 06:04 PM

Thanks Sunshine.

mysticpoe

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2003-08-30 06:11 PM

poe, nice post . . . in my opinion I think that most of us write to release, to share, to feel love and return it.  To get rid of residual feelings and to hone our abilities as writers.  What we have here at Passions, is something entirely different than I have ever seen.  Me?  I am always truthful and honest when I post and when I write. If someone critiques me, I look at that as a learning experience, although I do not appreciate nastiness, but a gentle nudge like a guiding hand.  I have seen other sites and I do agree and for me, no - the responses are not hollow and without feeling.  If someone responds with a wow or a nice job then someone else responds with a paragraph, well exactly as you have stated, that is how they perceive it.  I too, am grateful for any response as it makes me feel that my writing is not only for me, but maybe just maybe someone will walk away with something from it.  I don't know if this helped you or answered your questions.  
*smile*
xxoo    

[This message has been edited by littlewing (08-30-2003 06:11 PM).]

Legion
since 2003-07-20
Posts 54

4 posted 2003-08-30 06:28 PM

I don’t mind the other sites, they fulfil a purpose and judging by the general quality of the poems posted at some of them I’d have to say that there’s a real possibility that the severe critique methods used may have something to do with it.

As to the question of form versus feelings in poetry I’d have to say that my preference is probably somewhere in-between. Judging the worth of a poem is of course always going to be down to personal choice but I find that poetry at either extreme doesn’t seem to quite work.

As for replies being nothing more than “sweet accolades” that’s possibly an accurate reflection, whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing depends on what you post here for.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2003-08-30 06:56 PM

Our "sweet accolades" are simply "supportive and respectful" responses to poems posted by others.  We have no place on this site for rude or disrespectful comments.  

Rudeness and disrespect are NOT necessary components of effective critique.  If a poet/member chooses to have their work available for critique, they can express that in their profile and their readers will see that as they comment.

If a member wants serious critique, we have a forum specifically intended for that purpose.

"Sweet accolades"?... I think we have pretty much all the bases covered, don't we??

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-08-30 07:43 PM

Is there a poem in "Sweet Accolades"?  Or was that a song?  

I appreciate Passions not only because of the friendships that end up revolving around our poetry - when one is in sync with another, and understands all that the poem may have left unsaid.  

I appreciate it because there ARE areas for Critical Analysis, not only in that forum, but in our own personal profile.  For example, mine simply says words to the effect that I would like feedback on what my poetry made you feel, or think.

If I want my poetry torn apart, I can print it off and tear it apart myself.

There is NO sound reason that I can think of for someone to belittle another's work.  If my work is tripe, I know it's tripe.  But it's MY tripe.  Ron has applied some simple structure to his house...and it is found in his Welcome:
quote:
Poetry has magic, especially when it comes from the heart.

Poetry can touch us, move us, delight us, enlighten us, make us laugh, make us cry, and both soften and enrich our deepest memories. Poems are the ties that bind one stranger to another, often in friendship, sometimes in love, always in understanding.

The pipTalk forums are dedicated to poetry, but more importantly, the forums are dedicated to fostering an understanding of the human condition through communication. Our poetry is a vehicle, fueled by imagination, that provides a means of building strong friendships and common goals among a very large, very diverse group of individuals. Young and old, rich and poor, male and female, we come together in appreciation of poetry and understanding.

pipTalk celebrates the power of poetry, and the incredible magic of Respect and Tolerance among friends. Our poets are truly changing the world we know, one word at a time.
[Emphasis added]
Why would I go anywhere else?

So, Mysticpoe, I am going to take your thread as yet one MORE opportunity to say, Thank you, Ron, for all you have given us.  I appreciate the opportunities you have given ME for allowing me to help the forums in any way I can.

A wonderful thread, Mysticpoe.  Thank you!

mysticpoe
since 2003-02-28
Posts 883

7 posted 2003-09-02 10:46 AM

Thanks to you all, for taking the time to add your comments. I appreciate this, very, very much. I'll be back to reply to each response individually. Thanks again.

mysticpoe

If nothing is something
then everything is
our thoughts and feelings
and all that exists.

[This message has been edited by mysticpoe (09-02-2003 10:46 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » not a poem, just confused, need some help, thanks

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary