navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » To you, what does it mean?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic To you, what does it mean? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...

0 posted 2003-01-31 02:26 PM

Hello.

I was curious what you all will say to this question: to you, what does life mean? I'm not referring to a vague lalala answer, but, hopefully, when you think about it, what comes to you? Why do you breathe; why you get up in the morning and why do you lay down at night? Perhaps in a sentence or two? Or three?

Whatever works for you, if you feel like answering.  

~Titus

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
                 --Aldous Huxley

[This message has been edited by PoetryIsLife (01-31-2003 02:26 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Daniel Redding - All Rights Reserved
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
1 posted 2003-01-31 02:30 PM

Life has no meaning, we are here for no purpose, no specific duty, we are just here.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2003-01-31 05:51 PM

Why? Because I still can.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2003-01-31 06:31 PM

To me, life is an opportunity. Each new day brings with it another opportunity to enjoy the good and to learn from the bad in order to gain wisdom and perspective to more fully appreciate and enjoy the good things that life has to offer.
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
4 posted 2003-01-31 07:07 PM

"Why do you breathe; why you get up in the morning and why do you lay down at night?"

I breathe because my body won't let me forget to, even though at times I've wanted it to. I get up in the morning because generally I have to pee really really badly, and it's easier to just stay up. Why do I lay down at night? I don't always, but when I do, it's because I've pushed myself past my limits, and my body is screaming for rest.  
Now on to the "what does life mean" question.  I don't think that life means anything. It's what you do with your life that is what means something. why are we put on this earth? Hmmm... Oooh, inspiration time. Or maybe it's enlightenment time or something... anyway, I think we've been put on this earth to experience. Not all the experiences are pretty or joyful, but they're still experiences. *spins* thanks Daniel, you've just inspired about two or three pages for my journal   I'll be back when I make more sense on this, cause I was typing as I was thinking and you know how capable of THAT I am

Monkey!!

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
5 posted 2003-01-31 09:41 PM

That is all, Ron? Not that I'm questioning your reason, because, I respect you. Even if I didn't, do what you do. I'm just surprised your response was simply because you could. It's one of the basic, most important questions we can answer.

I understand it. For me, though, I need more.

Zu, a smile for that? Heh. Interesting.

~Titus

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

[This message has been edited by PoetryIsLife (01-31-2003 09:43 PM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2003-01-31 11:00 PM

Titus, if you ever reach a point in your life where you, or someone very close to you, can no longer get out of bed in the morning, or struggles for every breath, or sleeps only with the help of medication, I suspect you'll see that the simplicity of my answer carries far more complexity than it might seem.

Life is for living. Maybe there's a better reason or a deeper meaning, I don't know. I do know there doesn't NEED to be a better reason or a deeper meaning.

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
7 posted 2003-02-01 02:12 AM

I ask myself that same question every day and I'll tell you when I can find an answer that wont get deleted off this forum.

"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note." -- Gore Vidal

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
8 posted 2003-02-01 03:21 AM

Good point, Ron. I wasn't meaning any disrespect to those who suffer the various things you listed.... hell, it's close personal family experience; I know it well. I know my physical and mental abilities are a blessing, and I do my best not to take them for granted. By asking you why your answer was so 'simplistic' I was merely surprised at it's length, since your answer in such forums as the Philosophy and DepMod forums are great in length, for good reason. That's all.

Hope the clarifies.

~Titus

[This message has been edited by PoetryIsLife (02-01-2003 03:22 AM).]

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
9 posted 2003-02-01 11:27 AM

I live because I don't know what come next, and honestly, it scares me.
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

10 posted 2003-02-01 11:43 AM

reasons?
sunrises, sunsets, the moon, the stars, the blues of the sky and the waves, the sound of my kids laughter, the way it feels to be in love ...

to feel ... to experience what comes ...
the gifts ... the losses ... the inspiration that comes from all the above ...

... to feel ...

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

11 posted 2003-02-01 12:42 PM

To me, life is a test. We have to go through our trials and tribulations, and eventually find the truth. When we have found that truth, the trials increase, but by standing in the truth we are able to endure all things. In addition, we are supossed to live a good and moral life in order to help others find the truth as well, in addition to just helping others any way we can, and being good to everyone. It's a hard thing, especailly for someone who is as imperfect as I am, but thats what life is to me.

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.--Jesus Christ

[This message has been edited by LoveBug (02-01-2003 06:21 PM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
12 posted 2003-02-01 05:49 PM

Titus, I took no offense at all to your question. Quite the contrary. When I give a Zen-like answer to an otherwise deep question, I'm usually hoping someone will dig a little deeper.  

In this particular instance, of course, you specifically asked for "a sentence or three," which greatly limits the potential response. For example, with that limitation in place, I can't really point out that you're actually asking three different questions, each with possibly very different answers.

1. What does life mean in the context of the greater universe?
2. What does life mean to you?
3. What gives life meaning?

Your follow up questions led away from #1 (though I think a few of the response here lean in that direction), but were equally applicable to both #2 and #3. I chose to answer #2 because, while I "could" have given a one word answer to #3, it would probably take one of those "long philosophical answers" you cited to try to explain it.  

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
13 posted 2003-02-02 02:07 PM

You know I read this awhile ago,I just was not sure how to answer it.  I think everyone is here for a reason,however, I don't believe everyone is here to make a difference. Maybe some of us are here to just live the best life we can possible live with what was given to us.  

Personally, life to me is a gift and sometimes I abuse that gift by not taking proper care of myself.  All in all I am happy with my life, I love being able to see the wonders this world has to offer the joys and the sorrows of love and life.  I cherish all the emotions that make us all human.  

Just because you can't find the meaning of life does not mean that life has no meaning.

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

14 posted 2003-02-02 09:13 PM

Nature has a very strong sense of routine.

And no one likes to be alone.

- Jaime

Shiva went on break now look at how much it's gonna take to make this place a space where we can breathe.

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
15 posted 2003-02-03 08:16 PM

I love the variety of answers. They all are so fascinating.

~Titus

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
16 posted 2003-02-04 10:12 AM

This may sound like a cliche, but I think the meaning of life is whatever one makes it to be, nothing more...nothing less.
Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
17 posted 2003-02-04 10:36 AM

Why do I get up in the morning?  

When the alternative is laying in the dark and listening to my mother scream random articles from this morning's newspaper at me at six something in the morning, I'd rather be awake and undisruptable.

I have a question.... What is so weird about wearing a plaid skirt and a spiderman t-shirt?  you wouldn't belive the looks I've been getting from people today.... geez.

"Wie ein Quadrat in einem Kreis, eck' ich immer wieder an obwohl ich doch schon lange weiß, daß ich niemals ändern kann." ~Wizo

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

18 posted 2003-02-04 09:00 PM

Try wearing a hard hat. Everyone thought it was normal EXCEPT the construction workers... lol... And the time I wore... never mind... I could go on and on... LOL. The hard hat is still my favorite. I still wear it occasionally.  

Oh... yes. I get up in the morning because as much as life may suck, it would suck more if I missed school and my parents found out. *sigh* As I have been learning. Again. Usually I lay down at night hoping for some kind of respite. Usually, no such luck, but I keep trying. Some perverse thing called hope. I guess that's why I keep breathing, too.

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

[This message has been edited by Kielo (02-04-2003 09:01 PM).]

defenestrate
since 2003-01-10
Posts 46
nc, us
19 posted 2003-02-04 11:51 PM

i don't know that i will ever be able to assert any specific meaning for life, nor if i did, would assertion carry any real value in and of itself. i breathe because i'm curious as to what is going to happen next, and without breathing, i won't be able to find out for long. i get up in the morning because my bed is a sadly uneventful place. i lay down at night so i can be somewhat coherent when i actually step out of the hole i call an apartment to do the things i have agreed to do in the world.

what makes the routine worthwhile? music. conversation. love. pain. everything i will observe that i haven't already thought of. everything i will think of in time. the possibility of having good company when i am less able to get around to seek it out. enjoying good company right now that i will not have later. i'm afraid i don't have an exceptionally eloquent answer, but all of these things are meaningful to me.

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
20 posted 2003-02-05 06:47 PM

lol, "vague lalala answer." That is a great line.

Why do I breathe? Well, if I don't, I'd die and so there'd be no life to explain to the great Titus.
Besides, breathing is an opportunity. Take it or leave it. Little life anaolgy: when you hold your breath, it's very hard not to continue breathing. Like oxygen, we crave life, and it's hard to refuse. It's as simple as that, but more.

I get up in the morning because the sun can't do its own stinking job of rising and shining, and so, people like me, who get very little sleep as it is, are forced to be the sunshine in other people's lives. Hehehe...

Well no. I get up because I have to, and I go to sleep because I want to. Life's all that. You gotta, and you wanna.

I also disagree with Zu. We're here for a purpose, but it's just our job to find our purpose, even if our purpose in life is to find our purpose in life.

Leah

Purposely living life at random.
cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
21 posted 2003-02-06 03:20 AM

why do you insist on stiring those three particles of dust around in my head, eh, ti? it's noisy as it is in there with the wind constantly blowing back and forth through my ears without them clanging around and making a racket loud enough to cause my partially deaf mother to notice my presence? you're a little dust-stirrer, arent you danniti?

ok you said something like: "what does it mean to me" and i said: "it means as much to me to know that i have the good things which are worth being alive for as it means not living for all the bad things in it"

i hope that makes sense to you- and if it doesnt, then caress that jaw-line for me. mmmkay?

Congratulations! It's a bisexual!

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
22 posted 2003-02-06 03:25 AM

quote:
I get up in the morning because the sun can't do its own stinking job of rising and shining, and so, people like me, who get very little sleep as it is, are forced to be the sunshine in other people's lives.

chasinrain

you are ADOREABLE!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
23 posted 2003-02-06 11:10 AM

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
24 posted 2003-02-06 04:21 PM

*points to the sun above*

See? It explodes too.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
25 posted 2003-02-08 06:07 PM

quote:
I also disagree with Zu. We're here for a purpose, but it's just our job to find our purpose, even if our purpose in life is to find our purpose in life

Well I disagree with you

to me it's as simple as you are born, you live, you die. The only reason you could possibly attribute to life (and I'm not saying, my life, your life or any single person's life) is the survival of the species.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
26 posted 2003-02-08 10:38 PM

The obvious corollary to that, Andrew, is that nobody's life is important. Certainly, your death, the death of 3,000 people on September 11, even the death of millions in WWII, none have any significant impact on the survival of the species. By your reasoning, individual lives are unimportant blips in history.

The day you hold your first-born in your arms, I suspect you'll discover that life IS important.

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
27 posted 2003-02-09 10:06 PM

quote:

Marshalzu:

Life has no meaning, we are here for no purpose, no specific duty, we are just here.

I can see that point of view. Someone's life is only made of importance if you GIVE it importance. If you give it expectations.

Ron;
you're wrong in thinking that everyone will take a new-born into their arms and believe that the life they're holding in their arms is "important".
[think of unwanted pregnancies, killing of 'enemy' soldiers, pessimists(last two not newborn, I know )]

Life is only given or attributed as much importance as is benificial to the person who's doing the attributing.

You stated September 11 as a reference to the mass loss of life. I assume you were looking for an emotional response to back up your statement?

People die everyday. The circumstances surrounding their deaths may or may not hold significance in your life, JUST as their lives can hold very little or be of paramount importance.

It's the way our society percieves those lives, and the importance they place upon them which give them meaning to you. Without that injection of importance, their lives hold no other importance.

You said that the reason you still breathe and wake in the morning is because you still can.
That, to me, is what Andrew was trying to say. You live. You breathe and there is no other purpose in living other then just simply being.

Until you give it importance, that is.  

[This message has been edited by cherish (02-09-2003 10:14 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » To you, what does it mean?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary