navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » everything in its right place
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic everything in its right place Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2003-01-05 03:10 PM

Not sure whether this would be best suited to THe Alley, but I have had a hard day and don't have the energy to post this there.

All i want to say is put it back, goddamn it put it back where you got it... I am working in retail and
it takes a hour and often more to clean my section, to repack the boxes of items that are already on display, to tape up torn packaging, to tidy and fix displays...... so please I beg you when you go into a shop put the item back on its proper shelf if you don't want it. Millions of people working in retail would really appreciate this small gesture.  

watched from the wings as the scenes were replayed we saw ourselves now as we never have seen" ian curtis

© Copyright 2003 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
1 posted 2003-01-05 03:26 PM

amen brother.

one of my jobs is in retail as well.

i have a thousand and twelve complaints and it does help to make lists.  

everyone needs to brood.

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2003-01-05 03:49 PM

I hear you, Brian.  
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-01-05 10:35 PM

What percentage of the retail clerks do you think we could lay off, Brian, if they didn't have to clean up after the customers? Ten percent? Thirty?
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2003-01-05 11:33 PM

Or we could just have them move up to the front of the store and run registers Ron so we'd have shorter lines?  
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
5 posted 2003-01-05 11:58 PM

Here, here!

~Titus

"A life unexamined is not worth living."
                       -Socrates

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

6 posted 2003-01-06 04:38 AM

Bri? Retail? What the hell are you doing there? That'll drive you MAD...you could do something that pays much more with your qualifications...

Now that I've graduated I have sworn NEVER to work in retail EVER AGAIN. Ever. The pain of standing all day long...the rudeness of customers (customer is always right pah)...the ability of customers to turn a tidy shop upside down in two seconds flat (as you have so mentioned with such frustration)...the tedium...the PAY! (Did I mention the pay?)

I'm shocked, my friend, I'm shocked. Get out! Get out while you can!! Run for your life!

K

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
7 posted 2003-01-06 01:41 PM

Ron, my point was that I am busy enough during the day, bringing out stock answering customers queries without having to clean up the mess they leave behind. I don't mind a few objects left on the wrong shelf, I don't except everything to be left perfect... but items ripped from their packaging, four boxes of the same product opened on the one shelf when there is one on display.

K, yip your right about all of it, but its a job, I spent a few months bumming around when i finished college so was glad to get a job. I haven't given up on animation yet, in fact I am going to start working on the idea that I should have done for my final year film. I have the basic script, so tomorrow I'll start storyboarding it. Should get a couple of scenes done by the summer. It will be a change from the tedium of retail, one for of tedium for another.

watched from the wings as the scenes were replayed we saw ourselves now as we never have seen" ian curtis

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2003-01-06 02:44 PM

Bri!  Put this back in Alley!  LOL...good to see you, no matter WHY you come in or WHERE you land...

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
9 posted 2003-01-06 06:04 PM

Hey brian...

been a long time ... how have you been... hope all is well...

well you seem to be back in the right place... PiP is where you should be ...

Welcome back...

regards,
sudhir

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » everything in its right place

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary