navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » In the News..
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic In the News.. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2001-04-05 10:17 AM

What current news story has you "up in arms"? What current event has you 'steaming'??

© Copyright 2001 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
1 posted 2001-04-05 02:08 PM

It's not so current but those school shotting just really get met really upset  

"So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this give life to thee." W.S.

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
2 posted 2001-04-05 03:09 PM

Martha Moxley was murdered in 1975, and the suspected killer is only on trial now.

That just makes me sick.  

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 posted 2001-04-05 03:42 PM

Well i read in a newspaper from Oglethorpe University in Atlanta that 1 out of 3 women are raped and 1 out of 6 men are raped and out of all the cases 85% of rape victims are raped by somebody they know.
It's sickening.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2001-04-05 07:47 PM

The story of the two 'therapists' on Colorado who were doing a 'rebirthing' session on a 10 year old girl. They wrapped her in a blanket, covered her with pillows and held her down; told her to struggle to 'be born'. It was supposed to help her become adjusted to being adopted. After struggling for more than an hour (while the therapists taunted her for not trying), she died........

forevernbluejeans
since 2001-04-05
Posts 76

5 posted 2001-04-06 02:29 AM

Cloning...Im sorry if I offend anyone...but no one has the right to clone a human being...I am me...why would I want another me out there? Nope nope nope...this is just WRONG
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

6 posted 2001-04-06 08:22 AM

Foot and Mouth disease...
Angolan Crisis - people who live in the rubbish dump...
Child Militias..

Sorry - can't be confined to one...

K

All obscurity starts with a danger:
Your dangers are many. I
Cannot look much but your form suffers
Some strange injury
Sylvia Plath

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2001-04-06 09:48 AM

Cloning can't possibly work. All you get is a physical duplicate...like a REALLY close twin. But even then, our environment and experiences shape us..our clone wouldn't have that...so I agree.

But I also fear what would happen if they 'farm' clones..you know to harvest organs or something. I can see some rich person wanting to live forever so he'd clone himself so he can 'tranfer' any organs that go bad. (stuff of science fiction heh?)

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

8 posted 2001-04-06 11:33 AM

The fact that antibiotic resistant bacteria are thriving because unneeded antibiotics are placed in animal feed and used on plants to promote growth! We're killing ourselves!

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2001-04-06 06:25 PM

Erica - what's new?  

But we will survive hon...remember - antibiotics are a new thing the in the human historical record...

K

All obscurity starts with a danger:
Your dangers are many. I
Cannot look much but your form suffers
Some strange injury
Sylvia Plath

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 04-06-2001).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
10 posted 2001-04-06 09:29 PM

It's almost 9:30 pm on Friday night.  I just finished talking to the fifth of five parents of my classroom students... I had to have an eleven year old girl in my class suspended from school today.  Within the past couple of days, she's been busy. She threatened one girl - telling her she intended to cut her up with a knife - like a fish.  She threatened four others.  She told them she'd bring her mother's gun to school and shoot them.  Then she wrote their names on the bathroom wall with the word "die"...

I had to stay at school for over an hour after closing time to meet with administration and the girl's mother.  It seems that she lives with some pretty seedy people, who just might have access to weapons. This is pretty scary...

Then I had to come home and call all of the parents whose children were directly threatened to tell them and their children of the outcome.  Some of the children hadn't told their parents, because they didn't want them to worry.  I had to tell them... I probably spent 30-40 minutes with each of them.  Now, if this young girl is allowed back in my classroom, they'll all be up in arms. My team teacher doesn't want her back.  He wants to feel safe in his own classroom..... I've gotta say - I have to agree with him.  My recovering substance abusers are easy compared to this...

Current events?  This is pretty current for me... I'm in a bit of a frazzle to see this horrific trend touching upon my own classroom.  I'm a LOT frazzled....

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
11 posted 2001-04-07 01:28 AM

All this crap going on with China... I mean, come on.  China demands an apology and US refuses to give it.  Sounds like a 3 year old argument to me!

It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » In the News..

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary