navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Hiking the Himalayas
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hiking the Himalayas Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...

0 posted 2002-10-15 01:05 AM

Anyuone of you ever thought of it? I have.

My goal is my nineteenth or twentieth summer, which will be a year and a half to two and a half years, Summer 2004 or 2005. The year or two until I'm able to do this will allow for me to raise finaces and to train (hiking, trekking, survival).

My initial plan was to find a particular area of the range I was mostly interested in, fly to the nearest base, and then meet up with a guide. My goal was solitude, peace. Time alone. To see and experience the gloriness of one of Earth's legendary places. The ticket would easily be one grand, though I'm not sure if that includes the return flight. Still checking. Equipment and gear: the neccessary food and clothing, camping gear. Training on survival, hiking, how to handle emergencies (is it better to cut the toe off, or try and heal the frostbite? I don't know, situations such as that that might occur).

The thing is, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get access into the country, or find a place where I could camp, far from other people. Would protection from possible danger (such as wildlife or perhaps even criminals) be possible? A visa would be neccessary, I'm sure. Would it be possible to find a guide? Lug my equipment around and not lose any of it?

Would it be best to look into going with a group, and adventuretrip planner company thing? I'm looking at one which is to Sikkim, near the summit of Kangchenjunga (28162ft.) It'll probably run me $3,000 to $4,000.

Any thoughts? Have any of you ever done something such as this?

Sincerely,
Titus

"My imaginary friend thinks you have serious mental problems."

(2002 Copyright)

© Copyright 2002 Daniel Redding - All Rights Reserved
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
1 posted 2002-10-15 01:25 AM

If you're interested, here is a web site I came accross, kept up by a man who's hiked them a few times. Some breath-taking photoes, mates.
http://www.himalayas.dk/

Sincerely,
Titus

(2002 Copyright)

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
2 posted 2002-10-16 01:04 AM

i've been upto where the range dips into india, and i've been to kashmir.

frickin gorgeous, but the damn chinese and terrorists have made the place very dangerous. its not just the monetary cost so be careful what ever you do.

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
3 posted 2002-10-16 02:45 AM

How long ago were you in the range?

How many did you go with or did you go it alone?

Have you been back since?

Please, do tell.

Sincerely,
Titus

(2002 Copyright)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2002-10-16 03:48 AM

Just as challenging, but a lot cheaper: Los Angeles, Ca.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2002-10-16 03:48 AM

ok - maybe the Himalayas would be a bit safer...
PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
6 posted 2002-10-16 03:51 AM

Not nearly as beautiful, or solitary, though, Christopher. 15,000 foot snow covered peaks, and you.

Sincerely,
Titus

(2002 Copyright)

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
7 posted 2002-10-17 09:47 PM

*bump*

Sincerely,
Titus

(2002 Copyright)

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2002-10-18 12:14 PM

quote:
Not nearly as beautiful, or solitary, though …

Depends on whose eyes and heart you're using, Titus.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2002-10-18 01:05 AM

My suggestion? Go to Denali (Mt. Mc Kinley, AK to lower 48'ers, for a winter visit first. Then you'll experience a taste of the kinds of altitude and coldness factors you'll encounter in the Himalayas. Then go for it! Even if you are an avid climber in excellent condition and do not have any altitude sickness problems, you would be really foolish (my opinion) to attempt this without the help of trained, experienced Sherpa guides. But there are many, many 'atmosphere' considerations, one of which is political. Good luck! You only live once, are only young once, and if this is a really serious dream or goal, you will find a way to do it. I think cost is really the least important consideration in the long run.  Your really only talking about the price of a quality used car or a top-of-the-line computer system.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2002-10-18 03:04 AM

I just sit on the couch and close my eyes.
I have not a clue as to my destination, before or after my little journey.

But? It DOES make for great writing material...

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
11 posted 2002-10-18 05:32 AM

serenity~
I would like to go along on one of those little
journeys of your mind...just once.
I'll bet THAT would get my muse back in gear.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2002-10-19 01:03 AM

To tack onto this again, the Himalayas would be an incredible adventure. But hiking through the mind and dreams of Serenity? Yes, that would be a real hiking adventure. But how to prepare for that one? Keep an open mind, be brave, be flexible, be constantly alert...and be totally immersed in humanity.
Titus. I followed that link and saw some of those wonderful photos. Thanks! I really enjoy links such as this, educational, and just plain awesome!

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (10-19-2002 01:11 AM).]

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
13 posted 2002-10-21 01:57 AM

MSun, thank you for your imput. I appreciate it a great deal, my friend. I'm looking forward to emailing you one day... I began looking into your suggestion to try Delani as a starter, and it got me going, considering all the various ranges I can try.
http://www.denalirivercabins.com/index.htm

I found this link, which could be promising, but finding a cabin seems distasteful to me, why, I haven't yet decided. I'm, at the moment, looking into how I could camp there. What led you to suggest Denali?

Sincerely,
Titus

(2002 Copyright)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Hiking the Himalayas

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary