navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » I think this one sounds less forced
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic I think this one sounds less forced Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jeffwillett
since 2003-01-04
Posts 86
Texas, US

0 posted 2003-01-04 07:51 PM

-Memories-

The cool breeze.
The summer air.
It reminds me of when,
You were there.

The warm grass.
The cold wood.
We sat all night,
I said all I could.

The long nights.
The late walks.
It makes me think,
Of those endless talks.

So many things,
Remind me of you,
How everyday,
Seemed brand new.

To me, the rhyming seems less forced on this one, but tell me what you think please.

© Copyright 2003 Jeff L Willett - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2003-01-04 08:31 PM

Believe it or not, Jeff - It's NOT rhyming that makes a poem sometimes sound forced.  It's meter.

If a poem rhymes without meter, it frequently sounds awkward in some spots.  If it has BOTH rhyme and meter, though - it will flow nicely.

Your rhyme is fine - as it has been in your other works.  Meter is more of a challenge - That takes more practice.  

This poem has very short lines of verse - usually either iambic or trochaic dimeter... That means two consecutive feet or "short-LONG" or "LONG-short" syllables.  When you have a consistent pattern in place - usually a small task of nipping and tucking a few words here and there - You'll see a big difference.

Keep on writing, m'friend... and welcome to Passions...

jeffwillett
since 2003-01-04
Posts 86
Texas, US
2 posted 2003-01-04 09:27 PM

I've got alot to learn...maybe I should take some kinda class or something.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-01-05 07:44 AM

Jeff, see Nan for the Poetry Workshop, and you can also get into the English Workshop.  Start looking around in there, and you are going to have more answers for your questions.  You've stumbled onto a poetry site that HELPS others...

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
4 posted 2003-01-05 08:22 AM

This may just be my own opinion but I'll shoot for it anyway.
I think this poem would be better if presented as

The cool breeze. The summer air.
It reminds me of when, You were there.

The warm grass. The cold wood.
We sat all night, I said all I could.

and so on

Since this poem shows a warm and peaceful atmoshphere the short lines make it seem somewhat choppy and make the reader stop at the end of the line instead of getting the full affect of your emotions.
Thats what I think.. for whatever its worth. But then, there's sure alot on mine that could be changed

Welcome to the Blue Pages!!!

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

jeffwillett
since 2003-01-04
Posts 86
Texas, US
5 posted 2003-01-05 02:19 PM

Yeah, but i hate writting rhymes back to back, i'll give it a shot though
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2003-01-05 07:17 PM

Jeff, NaN gave you some good advice and also you need to keep the syllable count equal to maintain the integrity of the flow. I would write it like this:

The cool breeze
The summer air
Reminds me of
When you were there.

The warm grass
The chilly wood
We sat as I
Said all I could.

The long nights
The evening walks.
My mind recalls
Those endless talks.

So many things
Bring thoughts of you
How every day
Was made brand new.

That will take care of the meter. I don't really understand the warm grass/cold wood part. If the air were cool enough to make the chairs cold I would think the grass would at least be cool.

Also, your poem doesn't really say anything. One of the challenges of writing poetry is to say something in a unique way or leave the reader better off for having read your poem. Extend yourself...push yourself to come up with more striking ways to give your poetry more impact. I wish you the best

jeffwillett
since 2003-01-04
Posts 86
Texas, US
7 posted 2003-01-05 09:36 PM

thank you.
the grass is warm because, when the outside temperature is cold, the earth warms up...but i don't really think that's make the grass warm...yeah, i'm gonna look into meter

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » I think this one sounds less forced

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary