navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Don't worry be happy
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Don't worry be happy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,

0 posted 2008-08-12 09:27 AM

He who wishes to critique shouldn’t be detained ,
not all that come here have been ordained.
This  I learned while working for my uncle Sam,
They tell you, you’re eating steak, but it’s spam

Some are long winded ,have a lot to say
They are here  with their literary  essay.
Have a happy smile, take it in your stride ,
fasten  your  belt you’re in for quite a ride

© Copyright 2008 My brother John. - All Rights Reserved
moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

1 posted 2008-08-12 10:34 AM

sigh> Oh Lord, why does this always happen.  

I haven't got anything to say about this poem Chopsticks, but I have got something to say to you, it’s really simple.  I come here to make honest comments about the poems I read and to try to help people improve.  I do not come here to have my comments sniped at in oblique ways either in asides made in threads or in posted poems.

On several occasions now, following what you considered to be a less than complimentary reply I made to another poster’s poem and your fad poem, you have decided that it’s a good idea to post little jibes which I can only assume you think will annoy me.  They do annoy me to the extent that they are a distraction from what should be going on here, and I wish you’d stop doing it please.

If you have a problem with the replies I make will you please simply say what your problem is and we can discuss it in a proper way and try and find a resolution.  If you want to e-mail me that’s fine too.

M

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
2 posted 2008-08-12 10:52 AM

Dear Moonbeam, I write because I must and I have no control over what you assume.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

3 posted 2008-08-12 10:55 AM

quote:
Dear Moonbeam, I write because I must and I have no control over what you assume.

That's no problem Chopsticks, you write what you want.

Would a passing moderator, Ron, (or anyone else) please let me know if there is an Ignore function at PiP yet.  And if so how to implement it.

Thanks.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
4 posted 2008-08-12 11:12 AM

“Let me know if there is an Ignore function at PiP .”

Moonbeam, there is an ignore function at PIP.  I use it all the time , if it makes me sick, I don’t click .

Now ain’t that simple ?

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

5 posted 2008-08-12 11:29 AM

quote:
Moonbeam, there is an ignore function at PIP  if it makes me sick, I don't click

"Thanks Moonbean, I had rather look silly than look pompous."

(One of several)
quote:
I use it all the time

Yeah, sure you do.   If you were telling the truth there really wouldn't be a problem.

Bye

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
6 posted 2008-08-12 11:49 AM

*yawn*  

Sorry, I guess these little arguments don't stir me up as much as they used to.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

7 posted 2008-08-12 11:53 AM

I'm sorry Ess.  It won't continue.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
8 posted 2008-08-12 12:02 PM

"Thanks Moonbean, I had rather look silly than look pompous."

(One of several)

Moonbeam, that was a thread I started. I’ve got to protect my own turf. You were trespassing when you said I was silly.

Bye to you Sir

What ever happened to Ess ?

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

9 posted 2008-08-12 12:03 PM

Posts like Don’t Worry and Fad (plus others in the past) that seem to be written about CA poets, are part of the reason why I’m extremely hesitant about ever posting in CA again.

Since these poems appear to be discussing a particular poet, and there is an undertone, playful I’ll admit, that could be interpreted as mocking, I think they’re highly inappropriate and very detrimental to the forum.

Nope, don’t think I want to post in a forum where I run the risk of having a complete stranger say things about me on a personal level in what are really nothing more than personally directed vent poems.

I’m not going to argue, Ess, that would be pointless. I’ve stated my feelings and my opinion and now I’m moving on.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
10 posted 2008-08-12 12:26 PM

“ Playful I’ll admit, that could be interpreted as mocking, “

Dear Jennifer, They were playful and I’m sorry that you interpreted them as mocking.

Please don’t move on, I will.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

11 posted 2008-08-12 12:56 PM

Jenn

It seems to be endemic to CA, this tendency for one or two posters to "playfully mock" the sincere efforts of others to make comprehensive and extensive commentaries.  The tendency moreover seems to manifest itself specifically after criticism has been given which is less than totally effusive.

Maybe I'm partly at fault, with my longwinded ill thought out tactless literary rambles.  Perhaps such rambles are inappropriate for this forum.  They clearly annoy some people.

It would have been nice to have a constructive discussion about why adverse reaction occurs, and what the point of it is in a workshop forum, but that's not going to happen, so it's time to move on.

You could leave, I could leave.  I think that would be a great pity, especially the "you" bit.  I've found the ignore function now, and it would be great if you could do the same and stay .

There are some really good people here right now!

Or didn't you notice?

M

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
12 posted 2008-08-12 09:08 PM

Light or less-than-serious poems or other writings, critiques and other responses included, are certainly as valid as anything else here in CA. I have been as guilty as anyone at submitting such. Sometimes it's useful just to present a little joviality. Others, may even be submitted for serious critique. These are both fine and appropriate.

In the case of this entry as well as Fad, I don't see either as the case. They appear to clearly be very thinly veiled cheap shots at another specific member of CA. As such, that is not acceptable and will not be tolerated in the future.

I let these two slide, hoping that the trend would just fizzle and go away on its own without having to chastise anyone. I think now that there are enough opinions expressed that it may be worthwhile to leave them up, for now anyway.

Our stated purpose here is to attemp to improve our writing skills. As payback, we are to contribute whatever we can to help others improve theirs. Nothing says we can't have a little fun in the process, but not at the expense of other members.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
13 posted 2008-08-13 11:16 AM

tut tut nice write. it made my day...

ahh noww why... hmm...
it was vry humorous(to me)
but I have a dry sense of humor.. uh oh:P
Krysti

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

14 posted 2008-08-13 08:08 PM

Dear chopsticks,

What has been written, has been written.

Now for chapter II.  

BJ

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
15 posted 2008-08-13 11:26 PM

Moonbeam, I would like to talk with you if you are interested.  You don't post an email address.  If you wish, contact me through PiP with your "e". Or, mine is bluedebbie53@yahoo.com.

We seem to be in a disheartening phase in CA. and, like you, Pete, and Jennifer, really asking the question, "Why bother?"

I understand that our approaches to "critique" are dissimilar but at least we both "think" and be honest.

Best, Jim Aitken

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Don't worry be happy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary