navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Separated
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Separated Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kelmor
since 2002-09-09
Posts 5

0 posted 2002-09-09 11:51 PM

At night
when the cold of neighboring space
seeps through me
like winter's snow melting into skin,
I try to wrap myself
over you, around you, into you
and rest my head on your chest
trying to remember
your heartbeats through my ear,
the warmth of exhales lightly tousling my hair,
and how our ribs
would meld into synchronous breaths.

But my arm cradles air,
and a pillow received my breaths.

© Copyright 2002 kelmor - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2002-09-10 09:39 AM

Hi Kelmor,

Welcome to CA. Check your email.

Pete

caterina
since 2002-07-25
Posts 188
Canada
2 posted 2002-09-10 09:09 PM

Hi kelmor,

I like your poem. I felt the feeling of loneliness and separation.  I do have some suggestions for you that you might use or not--  just my opinion and I'm sure you will get many more.

At night

**  I think that you can expand on this.... something along the lines of 'the night grabs me and makes me aware'--  not a good example but just to show you where my train of thought is going here.  That opening line needs to bring that reader in and as is, it doesn't do that.  

** If you would drop 'the' and replace it with'that' it would indicate that it is a cold that this person has felt before.  I would suggest also to drop 'of.'

seeps through me
like winter's snow melting into skin,

**  hmmm, I dunno-- what if you would drop that line and just go with 'chills', then drop 'winter's' because we know snow only happens in the wintertime and snow really wouldn't melt into the skin, it would melt on the skin.  So, with that in mind it would read something like 'chills like snow melting on my skin'

I try to wrap myself

**  Perhaps it should read 'I want to wrap' and you don't need 'myself' and I don't know if it is possible to wrap into someone.  Something to think about.  I do feel that you could improve on these 2 lines though, what about a simili or a metaphor.

and rest my head on your chest
trying to remember
your heartbeats through my ear.

**  I think you can drop the 'and' and instead of 'rest my head' maybe 'press my cheek against your chest' and when reading that line it has a nice sound to it with the alliteration/or you may think of something more to your liking.  Here again, I think 'want' would be better and perhaps go with 'I want to remember'  Don't think you need 'your' and I know you can find another word to replace 'through'-- ex: 'heartbeats sounding in my ear/ heartbeats like a lullabye in my ear--  something to that effect.  

the warmth of exhales lightly tousling my hair
and how our ribs
would meld into synchronous breaths.

**  I would take the 'how' and work it in the first line and change 'tousling' to tousled--  then 'and ribs meld in synchronous breaths.'

But my arm cradles air,
and a pillow received my breaths.

**  I think you have to work with the ending a bit, play around with it.  I would think that ones arms would be cradling the pillow not air.  This is probably your first draft so I hope I was able to help you out a bit.  

As I said, I like this and you can do a lot with it, I think.

Btw, welcome aboard and hope to see more of your writes.  Hope you do a revision on this one.

Take care

caterina

Radrook
since 2002-08-09
Posts 648

3 posted 2002-09-11 08:10 PM

An absolutely entrancing poem!
I would leave it almost exactly as is.

The only small improvement I see possible is perhaps in verb/tense agreement.

At night
seeps through me like
winter's snow melting into skin,
I try to wrap myself
resting my head on your chest
trying to remember your heartbeats
through my ear,
warmth of exhales which lightly [tousled]
my hair,
our ribs melding
into synchronous breaths.

But my arm cradles [present] air,
and a pillow receives [present] my breaths.

Comment:

[Since "cradles" is in the present tense, "received" has to be changed to "receives" in order to prevent tense contradiction.]

geenabee
since 2002-09-10
Posts 59
NC--USA
4 posted 2002-09-12 01:35 AM

more more more
gimme more
i like this one..
i like the neighboring space metaphor...
it totally is descriptive of loneliness.
and i like the ending,
but you could make me cry if you added more to the end...about what else is missing?/ maybe...
i dunno i aint no expert like summadefolks here
glad to read ya
gb

kelmor
since 2002-09-09
Posts 5

5 posted 2002-09-15 03:35 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Separated

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary