navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Living Life
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Living Life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

0 posted 2006-12-20 03:14 AM

What if my life changed tomorrow
Or I slept the sleep of death
Would I leave a trail of sorrow
As I struggle for each breath?
Would I have time to make amends
To those that I have wronged
And tell my beloved friends
How much I've loved them all along?

What if I should live
But the life that I once knew
Came crashing down around me
And my world was all askew,
Would I have the courage
To accept it and go on
Or bemoan my fate forever
Mourning a life that now is gone?

In death, you have no choice
As to when it comes to call
In life...there is no timetable
When tragedy will be befall
There are no second chances
In this life that we are living
NOW is the only time we have
To be loving and forgiving

Live each day completely
As though it were your last
Cherish each and every moment
For life goes by too fast

Copyright©2004Beatrice Boyle
(All rights reserved)

© Copyright 2006 Beatrice Boyle - All Rights Reserved
ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
1 posted 2006-12-22 03:44 AM

This is a little too Chicken Soup for the Soul for me.

CS

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

2 posted 2006-12-22 04:02 PM

The thing about chicken soup Christian, is that though simple...it's good for you.

There is a vast majority of people out there who do not "get" true poetry and prose, however they respond best to simple truths dating back to what they learned as children.

THIS is the audience that I seem to connect with, with what I laughingly call "Grandma's nuggets of wisdom."

Like the man says..."whatever turns you on".

Merry Christmas...Happy Holidays..Happy New Year.

Bea

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
3 posted 2006-12-22 04:18 PM

Bea

Incredibly valid point.

Merry Christmas to you. Have a safe holiday.

CS

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2006-12-22 05:42 PM

I agree with both of you  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
5 posted 2006-12-22 09:15 PM

quote:
(I should have posted one of those for critique...you'd have a field day I'll wager.

Indeed.

I don't have time right now but that field day is coming. Brace yourself!

On the other hand, it does give me a chance to explain why these poems don't really work and that's not a bad thing.

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

6 posted 2006-12-23 02:04 AM

Brad...I await your critique in fear and trembling...it's enough to make a girl pig out this Christmas...what have I got to lose!

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Bea

kaila
since 2006-12-24
Posts 37
PA
7 posted 2006-12-24 07:11 PM

Beatrice,

I'm new here, so this is the first of your poems I have read. I get your point about simplicity.  I think that you do/will connect with those who want to be inspired or uplifted.  I feel your passion and encouragement. :-)

I must confess that I am a bit of a "nudge" or pain (sorry) about meter. I want meter to be consistent or to change/adjust purposefully.  I think that metrically the poem needs some work to enhance the poetry of your thoughts.

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

8 posted 2006-12-26 06:27 AM

Hi Kaila...welcome to PiP.  You're going to love it here...I do, and am a newbie here myself.

As for the meter...I must confess to a weakness there as I am a musician and former drama student and "feel" it as I would recite it...sounds perfectly fine to me...but that's purely subjective. I must follow the rules...that's why I posted it here to receive the tweaking I deserve so "tweak" away.

Bea

Grandma Bea

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2006-12-26 04:29 PM

Quick note of apology: with the holidays and such, I couldn't find the time to properly tear this to shreds. And then, with what little time remained, I found myself trying to finish up my own thing (see below. It's not finished but it's a start.).

I'll let someone else scan it properly, but metric rules, of course, are just a way to codify rhythm. The fun part with breaking the rules is that we can argue over how words sound (ex: How many syllables does orange have?).

In a nutshell, what's the problem here:

I suppose it's true that poems such as this will always be more popular than the stuff I like, but to a large extent is that because people like it more or because it can be skimmed quickly and agreed with in even less time?

Who disagrees with the sentiment? Who can disagree with the sentiment and get away with it?

If your poem is a truism, then my strongest criticism would be another one:

How can something be satisfying if it's not challenging?

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

10 posted 2006-12-27 03:36 AM

Your point is well taken Brad...I must confess to being too lazy/old (take your pick) to go more in depth with my work.

I've been writing for almost 30 years, having come upon it quite suddently one night when trying to compost a special valentine for my husband, and it just took off from there. (Mostly spiritual writings, simple prayers etc.) I have a "thing" about reciting prayers from rote like little children.  I have a feeling the Lord appreciates some conversation, not ritual chanting, so I wrote them as they came to me.  The last thing they were intended to be were challenging. Ergo my "CHATTING WITH GOD" collection was born.

I've never had any formal training in writing and at this juncture, I think I would lose that intimate quality that most of my readers expect from me.  I'm well aware that it is crude and unstructured in the eyes of qualified poets, but I think that's where I'm supposed to be...connecting with people in a way they can relate to and feel that I truly can understand their pain without talking down to them or (as one of my readers has said) their having to read it two or three times to understand what I am trying to say.

Having said that, I posted here to get your and others  feedback on how I can improve it, and I thank you for taking the time to respond and I hope you will again in the future when I post some of my other work.

Bea  

Grandma Bea

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
11 posted 2006-12-27 10:37 PM

Fair enough.

Of course, I still think you can do both. And since you mentioned chatting, that is the intended goal of CA. It is not a workshop (I know everyone seems to think it is, but we already have one of those.) This is where you can talk about poetry as poetry, offer opinions and/or whatnot, try out new things and see what people say.

It is not limited to structure though that's fun to talk about, and it's not limited simply to passing judgement but, of course, that's inevitable. It always amazes me that people, being what they are, light up when they talk about their own poetry so what better place to start than their own stuff?

So chat away, we look forward to it.

rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
12 posted 2006-12-28 01:23 PM

I really like this. THe chicken soup like appealed to me. I think that really helped it to go together. The rythmn made it easy to read.
Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

13 posted 2006-12-30 02:44 AM

Hi Rhia...grab a soup spoon and join me in a little chicken soup...it's just what the doctor ordered!

Bea                   

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

14 posted 2006-12-30 02:48 AM

Brad...the last thing you want to do is tell me to "chat away"....you know I will! lol

Bea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Living Life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary