navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Free Falling
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Free Falling Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
caterina
since 2002-07-25
Posts 188
Canada

0 posted 2002-08-06 09:03 AM

I would like to be a Red Maple

lush with leaves and ninety feet tall

standing in the middle of a field,

alone,

and zizzle

with a zap from a lightening bolt

volts of words

shooting through my branches

and from that day forward,

a poem on every leaf that falls.

caterina

© Copyright 2002 Carol Jane Bleichert - All Rights Reserved
Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
1 posted 2002-08-06 05:27 PM

Very nice!  I liked this a lot.  My suggestion would be to drop "lush with leaves" because the image that pops into my mind is a leaved-out maple anyway, and although it foreshadows the last line it may be unnecessary.  Also "standing in the middle of the field" could be shortened simply to "mid-field" (and couple with maple could add alliteration if desired).  Alone is redundant because you are already in the middle of a field.  "from a lightening bolt" zeems a little bit zimple, I'd aim for a more poetic phrazing.  Here are my additional suggestions:

I would like to be a Red Maple

mid-field

ninety feet tall

*perhaps insert a reference to a thunderstorm of emotions, ideas, etc.  brewing above--be subtle though*

and zizzle

with a zap

volts of words

*surging* (or *coursing*) through my branches

and from that day forward,

a poem on every leaf that falls.

This may seem like a lot of suggestionsn (perhaps nit-picky), but that's because I really liked this one and was able to jump right into it.  Well done!

Disclaimer: The preceding statement is just my opinion.

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
2 posted 2002-08-06 11:02 PM

Hi Caterina,

I liked this poem too, loved the last line... however I have to agree with the suggestions made by Kirk. I think his edits would add a little more spark to the poem and tighten the loose spots up. I don't really have any advice other than agreeing with Kirk about his...pretty hard to add to his fine critique.

Excellent image Caterina,

Thanks for the read.

Trevor

caterina
since 2002-07-25
Posts 188
Canada
3 posted 2002-08-07 08:18 AM

Thankyou Kirk, glad you liked.  You have really given me some food for thought here.  I pondered extensively on "lush with leaves," whether to leave in or take out. I sort of wanted the reader to pay attention to those leaves, you know, to introduce them for a specific reason, re the ending. I have another idea on that though.

I don't know about mid-field though, when I say that word I think of a baseball field, it's better than what I had but the image concerns me.  Have to think about that.  I could say--  open field, perhaps that would be a consideration?

I did realize that "alone" was redundant and I put it there specifically for dramatic reasons, to compound that image of the tree sitting there in the center of the field.  I do feel now, however, that it should be removed.  

"Zeems a little bit zimple" lol  Yes, I agree. I have decided to take the bolt out but I feel the need to keep the word "lightening"--  that zap has to come from somewhere, yes?

I like your suggestion on inserting a line in reference to a thunderstorm and yes, it must be subtle.  Also, I think I will go with the word surging.

Great suggestions, I will post a revision in the near future, I do hope you will take a look see and let me know your verdict.

Thanks again Kirk.

caterina

caterina
since 2002-07-25
Posts 188
Canada
4 posted 2002-08-07 08:22 AM

Hi Trevor,

Yes, Kirk did a great crit.  Thankyou for letting me know that you liked it.  I just hope I don't get carried away in revision and botch it up.  Revision, revisions...  they can be frustrating, for me anyway.

Thanks again.

caterina

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2002-08-10 04:36 AM

I have to say that I like this version better, too... but I personally did like the 'veined with letters' image- yeah, it makes the metaphor obvious, but it's not like it was hidden to begin with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to double space this?

Anyway, I did enjoy this... someone in the revision thread pointed out how unusual it is for the tree to be waiting for the storm- I think that's a cool idea... perhaps disclosing a truth about poets, since we often love to write oh-so-melancholy? interesting...

BTW- Lightening, I think it's just lightning?

Hope I've helped.

Who is John Galt?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Free Falling

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary