navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Sifting through gray matter
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sifting through gray matter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
keoni
since 2000-10-16
Posts 850
Up in the mountains in the NFC

0 posted 2006-03-04 04:43 PM

My representing epicenter - A splinter existence
A cerebral thorn, forever worn atop brow as a crown
Pinning me down, my heart is held hostage

Repetition addiction - chronic cognition affliction
Relive and rethink all responses regardless of reason
Seasoned vet, betting on ambivalence

Bittersweet symphony of regurgitated memory
Brash synoptic flashes in thought caches rot and fall to ash
Wading through trash, 'till death brings peace of mind

"Only God can judge me" Tupac Shakur
"Sometimes it takes a painful loss to realize you are free"- Bouncing Souls

© Copyright 2006 Jon - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2006-03-04 04:51 PM

The main problem I see here is that the whole thing is effectively just one elaborate adjective. So far, there is no activity and not even any real subject matter. The play on words is interesting but the lack of direction leaves it flat.

Spot
since 2006-03-04
Posts 45
CA, US
2 posted 2006-03-05 12:39 PM

I definitely enjoyed reading this, especially because I can relate to you in that I feel trapped in too many thoughts and analyzing everything to a point that it loses meaning.

I can see Not A Poet’s point, that the dominance of elaborate adjectives and the way that the subject matter seems almost secondary to phrasing makes it seem like it isn’t moving towards a specific end, but it actually does, at least in my opinion, with “till death brings peace of mind.” The more intricate descriptions and ornate adjectives make it take more effort to follow, but (again, for me), that really is essential for the poem, because it mirrors the loss of meaning and relativity that comes with over-thinking something, the way that feeling and interest fade. Also, it produces some really beautiful phrasing.

Sorry if this wasn’t what you were looking for, I just started writing and this is the first review I’ve done here.. but thanks for sharing this, I can really identify with it and it caught me off guard because it embodies the way I’ve been feeling lately. Thanks for writing.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2006-03-05 11:07 AM

Not bad at all, Spot, for a "first review."

keoni
since 2000-10-16
Posts 850
Up in the mountains in the NFC
4 posted 2006-03-06 06:01 PM

Thank you both for the reviews. I appreciate them. Obviously spot, you grasped what I was trying to accomplish with this poem. It's an attempt of showing just how much the mind can stray. It is supposed to invoke a sense of being overwhelmed while at the same time being totally clear. Guess it is not to not a poet's liking, that's okay too, that's what I came here for. I just received the book I had it published in so I guess I can't change it much now.

"Only God can judge me" Tupac Shakur
"Sometimes it takes a painful loss to realize you are free"- Bouncing Souls

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Sifting through gray matter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary