navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » a cynic glimpses across one century
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic a cynic glimpses across one century Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
netsky
since 2005-03-29
Posts 148
Miami

0 posted 2005-04-08 06:11 PM

Were I a woman of nineteen five
I suppose I'd be sporting an egregious hat
with feathers of egret pluming from that

Were I an egret of nineteen five
I suppose I'd be target of an egregious hunt
for my feathers to decorate some dowdy old

The usa's "National Audubon Society" was founded in 1905 in order to press for protection of water birds slaughtered soley for their feathers.  
The plumed woman's hat was popular ca. 1885 to 1910. The protection of egrets was nearly the first environmental conservation law made in America.

© Copyright 2005 Reid Welch - All Rights Reserved
longte
since 2005-04-06
Posts 199
Australia
1 posted 2005-04-08 09:19 PM

New Spins on old topics

I love your sense of Right

Live It

netsky
since 2005-03-29
Posts 148
Miami
2 posted 2005-04-08 11:47 PM

Hi longte.  It is one of my "versawords".  Zindu handed uw "egregious" as a "word of today" at her forum. I like the challenge of making a word-verse of such strange words.

The thing here was to capture the essence of the word.

I happen to be fifty years old at present.  Fifty. hmmm.. midway of a century and a century ago those feathers were the rage.

Adopting a cynical stance made the tiny verse   write itself. "Egregious" really demanded some cynicism (hah)

I don't end the poem coy or profane.  I make the readers do that.   A 'joke on you' bit of forced impropiety.

You see, too,  that the adjacent poem here came on the heels of this one.   A bit longer and a whole lot more innocent.  

OK to criticize these things.  I do solicit -de-structve criticisms (hah ha ah) not to feel pain, but to better view reality.

would I were a better poet

thanks!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » a cynic glimpses across one century

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary