navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The Other Gate
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Other Gate Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 2004-12-19 05:40 PM

The Other Gate
Preacher Jim
Go screaming down your path.
Go screaming
For the glory of man

The devil owns your soul
Till the end of days.
Till the end of madness
Until all is past

Your shackled soul rides to hell’s gate
Dragging your stolen souls,
On brimstone your chariot wheels rolls
The lake of fire is where you go.

At the bubbling pool you greet
The revered Bishop Paul
Reverend Jake
Bother Jack

Your clever friend,
Now
Smiles back.  

Who give you
Holly words
To be your own

For all you lead
Rewards are given
When he pitched you in.

© 2004 by Merlyn Hearn

© Copyright 2004 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 2004-12-21 09:47 PM

This is very intesting. HA! None of my posts gets a "0" If I can help it. He he
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2004-12-26 04:55 PM

I thought I'd drop in here to see what it's like in this forum, and "LOW" and behold, I find your poem.  I'm not sure if I've interpretted as intended, but I can assure you it got me thinking!  No, this is not a zero!  People are just busy right now.

misc'e

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
3 posted 2004-12-30 01:50 PM

"Who give[s] you Holly words"?

I found it a compelling enough read. The problem I see is that it's but one angle to the whole religiosity/damnation story. Somehow it just doesn't seem complete without the inclusion of those who teach that--in the name of their god--children should strap dynamite belts around their waists and blow themselves up in cafes or buses. Or those instructing "proteges" to hijack airliners and slam them into a couple of towers. I guess that's on "Part II", eh?

Sid  
If you must carp: Carpe diem!

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
4 posted 2005-05-24 05:33 PM

If you noticed by the dates it’s been a while seen this has been posted. But I felt a response was needed because no critical analysis was given.

Sid, the term “Who give you holly words” was a play of words; holly has spiny leaves and their branches are traditionally used for Christmas decoration.  It was used instead of holy, which is used with what is worthy of worship; the testimony of God and not that of Man.

The “Part 2” you mentioned is those who get lost in the rapture of religious beliefs and are mislead by their own thoughts. I must admit their actions are extreme and justified only by their own gratification. You hit the hammer on the nail when you said, “their god,” which is the whole reason for this piece to be written as an exemplification that God is not just one person’s God but everyone’s; the ramification which is most misunderstood.  

Angel1
since 2005-06-29
Posts 20
TN, USA
5 posted 2005-06-29 04:35 PM

On brimstone your chariot wheels rolls

rolls should be roll, but it is excellent.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The Other Gate

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary