navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » "Overview"
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic "Overview" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
croyles
since 2004-01-27
Posts 102

0 posted 2004-04-04 06:36 PM

----------------------------------------

Overview:

Students’s weary eyes scan their notes;
Sweet mango moulds in the sack.
Trembling lips mimic authoritive words;
Another fruitful pip shatters at crack.

The salesmans hands are drenched from gestures;
Only sweet to Sour itself.
And his wife that once was tolerant
Now has patience only for a clean shelf.           (THIS LINE NEEDS SOME WORK)

The fans still urge; the writer still writes;
His pen snaps as does his brain.
And all that once blossomed on sheets
Is now a melancholic ink-stain.

While all the blindness and avoidence
Rots their souls; their core,
I sit, with tranquality, patience,
Happy, as never before...

----------------------------------------

Did it get the picture across well?

Written in just an hour; any opinions and critiques welcome.

[This message has been edited by croyles (04-05-2004 08:00 AM).]

© Copyright 2004 croyles - All Rights Reserved
grassy ninja
since 2003-07-20
Posts 41
Kentucky
1 posted 2004-04-04 10:58 PM

hello and welcome.  i really like this poem.  you have a powerful hold on your language.  your imagery is great, rhythm is in most places effortless.  a few critiques.

"Students’s weary eyes scan their notes;
Sweet mangoe moulds in the sack."
i don't know if "mangoe" is an archaic spelling of the word mango used here for some special emphasis.  if not, change it.  it is semi-distracting.  

"Trembling lips mimic authoritive words;
Another fruitful pip shatters at crack."
not sure about the word pip, but i really like this stanza.  i can see the stifling school room.  i also like how you are carrying the fruit theme throughout.

"The salesmans hands are drenched from gestures;
Only sweet to Sour itself.
And his wife that once was tolerant
Now has patience only for a clean shelf."
the first line of this stanza is awesome.  i don't understand very well the next part, i think it may be too abstract for the rest of the stanza, or poem for that matter.  overall, this is my favorite part of the poem.

"The fans still urge; the writer still writes;
His pen snaps as does his brain."
the second line of this stanza is one of the few places where i feel like the meter is not working.  line 2 has a completely different rhythm.  if possible, you might want to rewrite this line in the meter of the rest of the poem.

"And all that once blossomed on sheets
Is now a melancholic ink-stain."
this part seems a little "throw away" to me.  do you know what i mean?  like you needed two extra lines for balance, and this was what you came up with.  i almost feel that this should be a more significant moment in the poem, but it isn't very effective.

"While all the blindness and avoidence
Rots their souls; their core,
I sit, with tranquality, patience,
Happy, as never before..."
the ends gives the reader as much closure as we can hope to get.  i presume the theme that is tying these stanzas together is that the narrator has a sense of peace, that he/she transcends the stresses of the student's, the salesman's, and the writer's life.  my question is: how? why does the narrator give us these compelling glimpses into the "melancholic" lives of three people, and then write them off, with no clue as to how he/she manages to escape the weariness of existence?  does he/she?  
overall, i really like the poem.  you have quite a way with words.  

croyles
since 2004-01-27
Posts 102

2 posted 2004-04-05 07:37 AM

Thanks ninja. Your critique is useful, and there is no doubt that i also agreed with most of your things. The fact was, i thought of a good line, then just PUSHED a rhyme in and somehow managed to stay true to the poems meaning.

They arent any specific three people; the poem itslef is just to show how so many people in the world stress themselves out by work and everything, while im working too, yet not stressfuly; a nice little idea.

I will try and think of a few new good lines to replace with some of them, but i am going to take my time; so mental note for everyone that is going to say the same thing: The poem is in progress!

Thanks for the good analysis!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » "Overview"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary