navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Concertedly
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Concertedly Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley

0 posted 2004-02-18 07:38 PM

Concertedly

She is Oprah and Price Is Right
He is Britcoms and NPR
She plays solitaire on a Game Boy
He bids at internet Bridge

He, a 5 speed truck
She, an minivan automatic
He plays Senior Soccer
She takes  walks in the woods

She cries at tragedies on the News
He rants at talking heads
She reads the National Enquirer
He, the theonion.com

Thirty years of consorted effort
Only one child still at home
When that one leaves they will part
But they have no plans to roam

Tho they will begin to date again
It will be with each other
The father, and
The mother

© Copyright 2004 gourdmad - All Rights Reserved
Grover
since 2004-01-27
Posts 1967
London, ON, Canada
1 posted 2004-02-19 05:19 PM

Your PIP profile shows you choose NOT to be critiqued, so all I can really say is it's an interesting write. Well done! Grover.
gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
2 posted 2004-02-19 06:44 PM

I have a pip profile? :-)

How would I edit it? I didn't consciously elect any option to not be critiqued.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2004-02-19 07:32 PM

Go to Members Area (see menu at top of page) and select Change Profile. Scroll down near the bottom and you will see a radio button to encourage critiques as well as an area for a message describing what sort of critique you want. The default value is "no critique."

But, anything posted in Critical Analysis is subject to critique, whether the flag is checked or not. The purpose is for stuff posted in other forums. Criticism is generally not expected in Open, for example, unless the author's critique flag is checked. In here it's all fair game.

So, go ahead and have at it Grover.

Pete

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
4 posted 2004-02-19 08:49 PM

Tx Pete. I changed my thingy to encourage, but I guess I always assumned critiquing was the norm here.

Perhaps I need to batten down the hatches becuase that little profile change will open the floodgates of criticism? :-)

J.Samm
since 2004-01-12
Posts 415
Iloilo City, Philippines
5 posted 2004-02-21 05:35 AM

i like your colorful contrasts...you might want to consider a catchy title that would do more justice to your poem...as a whole, i liked it! keep it up!
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

6 posted 2004-02-21 04:57 PM

(floodgates? Cute ~grin~)

Hi Gourd...

Well. I'm sitting here humming and hawing over this one.

I'm puzzled at the shift into rhyme in the last two stanzas? Why? The first few stanzas have a relatively good flow, and then the rhyme starts and well, it sounds forced. home and roam, other and mother? The last two, with or without the rhyme I suspect, sound forced in themselves. Telling not showing I suppose. I quite like something in the first few stanzas. I have problems with the format...it's a bit too constricted but that could just be my personal taste.

'rants at talking heads' - what are talking heads?

I do like the simplicity of the first stanzas. The plain language, the simple images - it's tight and while forceful, or even particularly powerful, that simplicity works for me.

So, overall, I just can't quite make up my mind on this...

K

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
7 posted 2004-02-22 11:36 PM

I think the problem is that you go from being heavy-handed with socio-political references to being heavy handed with the whole aging-but-still-in-love thing.

More technical details: The alternating He/She line starters get tedious and predictable pretty quickly.

Maybe instead of rote comparison back and forth, you can loosen this up... I agree with Severn that the style is too restrictive, especially considering what you're trying to do. Maybe work more description in... while I think our reading/watching/activities are important, we are more than the sums of the factions of our lives. (That was a mouthful.)

Simply said, I read your stuff from time to time and I think you can do significantly better than this.

Hope I've helped.

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
8 posted 2004-02-23 09:02 AM

Well, guess it is a bit of a flop :-)

As per title: the genesis of the piece was I was doing a bit of editing for someone and they used the word "consorted" where in context it would be that they meant "concerted" so I went from there. So the Concerted in the title was to emphasis the "consorted" in the text, at least that was my intent.

the shift to rhyme was intentional, trying to show that even tho the two are seemingly so different, they live in harmony, even a little forced harmony, but underneath all the responsibilioty and duty there is still a spark.  

Overall, not a great effort IMHO, just wanted to use the term consorted effort :-)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Concertedly

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary