navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Epitaph
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Epitaph Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2000-06-18 06:56 AM

The structures of alienation
were weighed for worship.
We arrived as exiles to cling
to a sanctuary on the edge.

We shielded as an affinity tightly bound
in isolation, remembering that we are
the fragile flowers withering silently,
under duress, obscured in snow.

We are the Gods of the river,
of the forest and the plateau.
We are the beautiful children
who failed to dazzle in your blacked out eyes.

Without reverence we collapse into solitude,
we have abandoned our fortified asylum
to decay, scattered, on frozen tendrils,
as the elders solemnly conduct " The holy mass of dead insects*."

I am God for myself,
Alone.
-----------------
*Mass Of Dead Insects - A Buddhist ceremony, also mentioned in Masuji Ibuse's Hiroshima novel "Black Rain" where he states...
"The Mass for Dead Insects was a rite performed on the day after the [harvest] festival, when farmers would make rice dumplings as an offering to the souls of the deceased insects they had inadvertently trodden on as they worked in the fields."

< !signature-->

------------------------
"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"To be nobody-but-yourself-in a world which is doing its best night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E Cummings.

"Art is a lie which makes us realise the truth." Pablo Picasso

"We Irish are too poetical to be poets, we are a nation of brilliant failures" Oscar Wilde

-----

[This message has been edited by brian madden (edited 06-18-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Lost Dreamer
Member Elite
since 1999-06-20
Posts 2464
Somewhere near the Rainbow
1 posted 2000-06-18 08:59 AM

Brian, Excellent writing here, I don't know the Buddist faith, but you have written a very fine poem with your understanding.
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 posted 2000-06-18 10:11 AM

Thank you for the explanation, it helped me understund this poem and a great poem it is !
dgvarner
Member Elite
since 2000-05-13
Posts 3552
High Springs, Florida
3 posted 2000-06-18 03:15 PM

well brian...i'm usually quite awed by your writing, but you've gone way over my head this time!  lol..i'm a bit lost on this one..

the title caught my eye, as i have a passion for graveyards--especially old ones!  but i'll have to perhaps read it again another time to see if i can catch on to it  

.....dg

"A Poet's life is on written page; a scenario to take the stage--watch..." dgvarner

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2000-06-18 04:04 PM

Lost Dreamer, thank for your wondeful reply. I don't know alot about the Buddist faith myself. The image of the mass of dead insects appealed to me, to pray for accidently killing insects, to hold life as been so percious when we often take it for granted.

Munda, thank you for reading and replying.

dgvarner, thank you for your kind words. I will e-mail you the explanation or at least my feelings on the poem, just incase I reveal too much by posting an explanation here. thank you for wonderful response

------------------------
"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"To be nobody-but-yourself-in a world which is doing its best night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E Cummings.

"Art is a lie which makes us realise the truth." Pablo Picasso

"We Irish are too poetical to be poets, we are a nation of brilliant failures" Oscar Wilde

-----

dgvarner
Member Elite
since 2000-05-13
Posts 3552
High Springs, Florida
5 posted 2000-06-18 04:35 PM

ah!  there you are..i'm with you now!  and awed..as usual     thanks for your  explanation...and with it, a need to re-read!  
enjoyed being awed once more  

dg

"A Poet's life is on written page; a scenario to take the stage--watch..." dgvarner

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Epitaph

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary