navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Reflections of Heaven -Sunshine's challenge
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Reflections of Heaven -Sunshine's challenge Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2000-05-28 05:50 AM

Well I don't know if this is cheating or not, but maybe I should explain the poem to see if it is appropriate for the challenge. I was raised a catholic but I did not find God in the church. I listened to the scriptures read the Bible but for me it was a mass of contradictions. I perhaps over analysed it but I knew that faith and religion were important but this religion seemed to go against everything I felt. So I left the church and for the first time I started feeling at ease with myself. Brought up in an organised religion I still needed something to cling to. So I turned to spiritually and nature. It was the one thing that gave the sense of tranquillity I always wanted from religion. I have not turned to any other religious practice but have read up on Taoism, which helped focus my beliefs. This poem is more about nature but I believe that is where God is it is the natural energy around us.
================================================

Reflections of Heaven

Reflections of birds are projected
on a karmic sky in strobe motion.  
Below,all glides graceful in whispers.
Bird songs celebrate the silence,
that should be drown in piercing waves
of city block commotion. I move easily,
head swimming in organic bliss.  
The trees flourish respiring
a euphoric glow to nurture
my weakened form.
I am above the suffocating urban walls
and their corrosive forms, that strangle the sun.

In this Zen I refuse to wither or wallow in self-pity.
This constructed wasteland leeches bright souls
empty as drones of misery.
It has spat on my feet, always stealing my heart
but I never  needed this body.
Dust dried on the wind, turned softly in her hands
is moulded into beauty.
I am more than the sum of these parts.
Salvation is bland upon my mouth,
vinegar tastes sweeter, she dawns inside
with kisses of natural heaven.    
I need nothing more now that I have received.

------------------------
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? "
Douglas Adams.

"Here chewing your tail is joy"

Richey Edwards

"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"Do not listen to a word I say
Just listen to what I can keep silent"

Nicky Wire

© Copyright 2000 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
1 posted 2000-05-28 07:56 AM

brian, I enjoyed your comment (explaination) as well as your lovely poem. I think you did a good job meeting the challenge. Marcy
ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
2 posted 2000-05-28 08:47 AM

Brian: Lovely poem and I hear where you're coming from, because I've had a similar experience, sort of. How can anyone deny the existence of God after hearing the birds sing and watching a sunset or a flower blossom. Ellie

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2000-05-28 05:44 PM

I have always held to the thought that if He allows us to think it...it could be so.  I've also believed He comes to us in many forms.

Well done!

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2000-05-28 06:16 PM

Alle'cram, thank you for your kind words. My main problem with the church is that for me there is too much focus on the religion ( saying prayers) than the spiritual side.
I had to remove God from religion, I find parts of the bible hard to take. Orginal sin, man born a sinner etc.  

Ellie, I have another poem I wrote
with a passage that reads:
"Beauty blossoms from surface to souls,
GOD is engraved in flowers,"
I believe this. WHo can deny GOd when looking at the wonders of nature.
Thank you for your lovely response.

Sunshine,thank you your kind words.
If you are interested in a fuller view of my thoughts on religion I responsed to Philosophy 101-Does God Exist, Pt. 2.  

------------------------
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? "
Douglas Adams.

Richey Edwards

"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

Nicky Wire

Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
5 posted 2000-05-28 09:08 PM

brian, Forgive my double post, but wanted to share something with you. I have a very good friend, who as a young man was raised as you were. Same church, same feelings and like you, expected more. He searched and found God in a mighty way, after taking many paths over a period of time, never giving up.
You are seeking the ultimate from God, the peace and love. Your absolutely right, religion will get us nowhere if God "aint" in it. Bless you on your journey. Marcy

deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA
6 posted 2000-05-29 09:46 AM

The Heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shewth his handiwork-Psa 19:1
It is interesting where our spiritual journeys take us.  Yours has taken you to peace and tranquility through nature. Mine has lead me to find peace through the Word, and fellowship of believers.  All I can say is, as Jesus said,  Seek and Ye shall find!
God Bless you friend,   David

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
7 posted 2000-05-29 10:02 AM

Brian, I think you did just fine meeting the challenge...better than I have (since I haven't written into it) but it was a great piece and fit perfectly.

Like you, I came up (Baptist)in church, sunday school, all the youth groups, etc., and saw less of the true Spirit than I saw of then the vanties of the attendees, and the jostling for position, etc.  I, too, gave up church, turned to God in the world he created, worshipped him in my way, anywhere, and have gained much more than organized religion (and I dwelled into several before breaking away completely) ever provided.

Your piece was well said.

jwesley

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
8 posted 2000-05-29 10:44 AM

Brain I also liked and relate to your explaination and poem! My family was also Catholic, but I was too young, and not much of that "religion" rubbed off on me.

It's very disheartening these days, as so many "religions" get into the traditions and get so far away from God. You did the right thing by looking for God first! We don't need to find Him in a building.

I have found someone who I've learned with in the Word of God for around 9 yrs now, that I have checked again and again. I find to be true. I have found much learning in God's word. The more you study, the more you learn, the more the picture widens. It is alive so to speak. It is truly amazing!
I'm glad you went off on your own journey, and found the peace and things you've found.
God bless you always on your continued journey!

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
9 posted 2000-05-29 03:40 PM

Alle'cram/Marcy thank you, and same to you too. Whatever path you walk may God be by your side.

deleeme, I am glad that you have found peace  through the word of God. I respect that. For me though I think the word of God has distorted somewhat over time, people these days tend to forget the heart of his message, "LOve thy neighbour as thyself."
Thank you for lovely reply.

jwesley, ironically sometimes you have to leave your church to find God. I am glad that you found him in the end. thank you.

WhtDove, I am glad that the word of God has helped you grow. For me what I recieved out of mass and churching and the word of God was the opposed. God bless you always also.

------------------------
Douglas Adams.

Richey Edwards

Baltimore Grotto

Nicky Wire

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2000-05-29 05:45 PM

It's wonderful to find God in anything, and like you, I find Him in nature, most of all. Great work.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Reflections of Heaven -Sunshine's challenge

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary