navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Get Thee Behind Me
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Get Thee Behind Me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jonas
since 2000-03-03
Posts 796
Oregon

0 posted 2000-05-14 05:37 PM

This is an event that happened to me, several times. I apologize for the mediocre writing, but experiences like this are difficult to describe poetically.

Get Thee Behind Me

I awoke in the night
unable to move
Something was there
invading

Invisible weight
pressing on my chest
And fear returned
chilling me to the bone
as I realized
the attack had begun

I prayed that night
Interceding
and asking for revival
My list was long
so many in need of His light
I was tired, but I prayed
And when it was done
I felt His peace
surpassing all understanding

But the enemy
he was not so kind
My prayers angered him
and I was to pay the price

My room was dark
Blacker than it should have been
as if an immense shadow
enveloped everything
Even the bright glow
of the streetlight outside
seemed to dim

I struggled briefly
thinking I could gain victory
with mere human abilities
And then I heard
or rather felt, His voice
"Call My Name", He said

I cried out to Jesus
asking for His strength
Remembering His promises
and binding the evil
that invaded my home

At the mention of His holy name
the invisible weight
grasping me unmercifully
disappeared
And the shadows dissolved
leaving me sweating
and gasping for breath
but finally able to move

I continued praying
first, for His help
and then thanking Him
for delivering me once again

© 5/14/00
Gary Pence

© Copyright 2000 Gary - All Rights Reserved
ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
1 posted 2000-05-14 06:26 PM

Dear Gary; This is chilling but not unheard of. Padre Pio had many such experiences.Jesus will always be your peace and comfort. Well written despite your protest otherwise.   Ellie

Jonas
since 2000-03-03
Posts 796
Oregon
2 posted 2000-05-14 08:49 PM

Thanks ellie, I have spoken to others that have had similiar experiences so it was good to learn that I was not crazy. This was my first experience with spiritual warfare.
Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
3 posted 2000-05-14 10:22 PM

Gary, You did a great job describing the spiritual battle. I have had a similiar battle myself. Isn't is amazing, Satan can not win when we call out to Jesus, scares him to death!! You, my friend, are blessed with a work from the Lord, such a work that you had to battle ole satan, the wisper of our Lord saying to you, "Call out to me", as you did, he had to scoot!!! WELCOME,WELCOME
Blessings, marcy

deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA
4 posted 2000-05-15 06:56 AM

Jonas,
The spiritual battles which we go through are more real than most realize.  It is such outward experiences as your which really brings that truth to light-  but whether seen or unseen the battle rages within and for us all-- the important thing is that we get & stay on the right side--"f God be for us, Who can be against us?"(Rom 8:31)
< !signature-->

"GOD GIVES- but man must open his hand." (German Proverb)

[This message has been edited by deleeme (edited 05-15-2000).]

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
5 posted 2000-05-15 10:37 PM

Jonas you did more than a fantastic job explaining what happened here! I could feel the anxiety which had my heart pumping. This is scarey for sure, and many have experienced things such as this.  Even the devil knows Jesus and trembles.

I'm glad you called out HIS name. He was certainly with you!  My husband has had  something very simular happen to him. He was pinned down in the bed and couldn't move. That scared me.
It was funny one night he got up and I asked him what he was doing, and he said he "saw" smoke, didn't smell it, but saw it. He wasn't sleep walking either. That freaked me out also. Keep in the walk and faith and prayer! It seems the closer we get to God, or especially when we just start to know Jesus, that's when Satan tries his hardest.

God's protecting arm is always around you!

Snb4everm
since 2000-05-15
Posts 38

6 posted 2000-05-16 12:10 PM

Great poem!  I love to hear anything and everything about our great Lor above.  It is such a comfort to know that He is always here...no mater what.  No matter how big or how small the problem is, Jesus is always here to help us out!  
Jonas
since 2000-03-03
Posts 796
Oregon
7 posted 2000-05-16 12:56 PM

Thank you my friends. All of you are becoming such an inspiration for me  

Just being here is so uplifting!

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
8 posted 2000-05-16 08:45 AM

Wow Jonas - How well you have written about a terrifying experience.  I find it amazing that all we need do is call His name and ol' satan is....gone.  This is great.  Bonnie
Jonas
since 2000-03-03
Posts 796
Oregon
9 posted 2000-05-16 11:20 AM

Thank you Bonnie!
Kavika
since 2000-05-06
Posts 35
Wyoming
10 posted 2000-05-17 05:32 AM

Oh dear, have I been in the same terror myself.  I do not think an appology was needed though about your writing.  It was written perfectly and got the story out great.  God bless you for remembering who can help you in your time of need.  Your title reminds me of a joke, but seeing as how this is a serious poem about a serious subject, I will not post the poem in here!  God bless you!

Grandma Amy

``Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination. ''

- Benjamin Franklin

Dennis L. White
since 2000-02-17
Posts 1463
Michigan, U.S.A.
11 posted 2000-05-17 12:04 PM

Jonas,
  Thank you for sharing your story of deliverence for the evil that abounds in this world. Jesus is not a lucky rabbits foot, but an ever present help in need if we have a right relationship with HIM. I did no find your writing mediocre, but a narrative of an actual event! May GOD bless and keep!
                            Dennis :^)

Jonas
since 2000-03-03
Posts 796
Oregon
12 posted 2000-05-18 04:05 PM

Thank you Kavika!

Dennis, You are so right...He is not a lucky rabbit's foot, but "a very present help in a time of trouble"...

Thank you both for reading  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Get Thee Behind Me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary