navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » If Love Be True
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic If Love Be True Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2000-02-19 01:31 PM

IF LOVE BE TRUE (1ST Corinthians - 13)

Love suffers long and is kind.
Love does not envy.
Love does not parade itself
For all the world to see.

Love is not puffed up - arrogant,
Does not behave rudely.
Does not seek its own, is not provoked,
Thinks no evil - lest it be.

Love does not rejoice in iniquity,
But rejoices where truth avails.
Love bears all things, believes all things.
(Love hopes all things, endures all things)
If it be true, love never fails.

For prophesies shall fail, tongues shall cease,
Knowledge vanish away.
But when that which is perfect is come,
That which is in part, won't stay.

Time has come to put away childish things,
A darkened mirror must attest.
Abiding Faith, hope, Love - these three,
Love being the greatest.

Michael Anderson
2/19/2000

© Copyright 2000 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2000-02-19 01:32 PM

It's been no secret to anyone the struggles I have had of late.  Many mistakes have I made.  Much confusion has reigned over my thoughts.  "If love be true" were the words that kept running through my head last night.  Admittedly, I was angry.  I was frustrated.  These were also the words I gave to God in earnest prayer as I finally went to sleep around 4:00 a.m., asking Him to please allow me to see my faults as others may.

My first thought upon opening my eyes this morning was "Love keeps no account of wrong doings."  It took maybe a half second before I jumped from my bed and opened my bible to 1st Corinthians - 13.  These words I have read hundreds if not thousands of times, reaching far back into my youth.  Yet for the first time, today, I feel I have finally understood them as the were  intended.  

"Love does not seek its own".  "But when that which is perfect is come".  I don't mean to ramble but I am literally in tears as I write this.  I never witnessed love in my childhood.  I never witnessed love in my marriage.  That I finally experienced love to some degree in my recent, now past relationship with Gen and seemed to have lost it had me devastated.  After reading this passage this morning I can clearly see love did not fail me, I failed love.  

I need to proclaim out loud just how awesome God is.  I can't begin to tell you the burden He has lifted from me this morning.  Not a mere two weeks of heartbreak, but more like thirty years of misunderstanding all by praying in honest sincerity and with willingness to listen to Him.  "When I became a man, I put away childish things."  - Certainly I have acted childish of late.  I believe I owe apologies to all and especially to you, Gennifer, should you happen to be reading this.  I am sorry.

I also should thank each and all of you have stood by me, prayed for me, gave guidance and company during this time of hardship.  And so, Rebecca, A Sandgrain, Julie Jacob, Gloria, ellie, Janet Marie, Denise, David, Melanie and everyone else in this forum, thank you.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 02-19-2000).]

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2000-02-19 02:24 PM

Michael,
your words here move me to tears...I know we dont "know" each other..but that is the magic and true beauty of this place...we ALL are bound by our words and our discoveries...as we share our journeys of life...both the pleasures and the pain...and most importantly the lessons learned...by sharing our losses, our mistakes and our revelations we give each other comfort and wisdom to help us in our daily struggles.
Your poems in the last weeks touched me, while I dont know the "history"(nor need to) as I am new here...I was moved by your honest emotions and pain...the honesty of their expression.  Your replies to some of my work and your poems... lets me know you understand things I and others carry with us...we can all learn and heal from each other sharing the things we have experienced and learned as we live out our lives. I thank you for your honesty and for sharing your realizations of this morning...with out you knowing it..you helped me to realize somethings I was'nt before ready to see. Bless you and you are in my prayers...continue to grow...and heal...and to share your amazing gift of writing. take care, janet marie

[This message has been edited by Janet Marie (edited 02-19-2000).]

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
3 posted 2000-02-19 07:59 PM

Michael, I am glad your feeling better. Lessons in love are hard. One thing about love we can't hurry it, God in his own timing will work things out to his glory. Meantime keep on loving him, and taking care of that darling son you have there. This passage of scripture is a favorite of mine. We all need to write it on the tables of our hearts. God bless.
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2000-02-19 09:44 PM

Michael~
Love lifts you up
before it lets you down ...
and then God lifts you higher
than you've ever been.

I pray with you
and for you.
Love ~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
5 posted 2000-02-19 09:55 PM

As the tears of thankfulness welled in my eyes concerning your relief, I'm thinking how thankful we are to our Father for you, Michael.  Sadly, your pain set many people to thinking as you so honestly shared your feelings with us.  See everything has a reason and these sad times always have a lesson for us.  God bless you!
OWPEMT
since 2000-02-14
Posts 63
389 Noble Road West, Shiloh, Ohio 44878 USA
6 posted 2000-02-20 01:27 AM

Michael. I once loved a man with all my heart, for three years I seemed to become the bottom of all his jokes, the slap at a long hard day, the answer to his problems by putting the blame on me, as a young female in my youth, I became bitter, hurt, hard, cold to all around me, but then one day I met a new man, one that changed my life for ever, he took the hurt away and opened a whole new life for me. Jesus was that man,the more I prayed it seemed the harder things got for me, so we divorced, One night my x husband on a drunken rage in his car hit a women head on and killed her and her son, and my x husband died to. I was so hurt because he not only had tried to destroy my life but he had done this awful thing to someone else. Love from God is the purest kind, a love that changed my life and will do so for you and your son. I to will pray for you.
Sandy
Owpemt

ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
7 posted 2000-02-20 01:53 AM

Dear Michael; As I read your poetic and beautiful interpretation of corinthians 13, All that I could think of is, how blessed we are to feel and know the power of His word and the healing that you are experiencing through that power and love. Thank you, dear Lord for bringing light and comfort to Michael. Amen.  Love, Ellie

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
8 posted 2000-02-20 11:45 AM

Michael this finds me in tears too! It is awesome when He does that. Puts that in our mind, makes it easy to find, and all of a sudden that light turns on, that's lets us understand something we've read over and over again.

You know I found myself thinking last night as I tried to fall asleep of when he used to speak so clearly to my mind. I want that back and I think we let our minds get so muddled with the goings on around us, that we forget to listen.  You've listened and He has spoke and helped your aching.

"Love keeps no account of wrong doings." So true, for God is LOVE. When we ask, he wipes that slate clean and keeps no account. That is true love.

Michael there is no need to apologize to me for anything. We all go through hard times, we get distraught, confused, depressed. Friends are here to help guide and comfort, and help you see the light of God. He is truly awesome, and I am just elated that this burden has been lifted from you!
I don't know what else to say Michael, but God Bless you, and I'm always here if you need me.  I'm really glad He spoke and you listened, for He is our true comforter! The only one in which we will ever know True LOVE!

<*\\\><

There's only two ways you can go...
One way you can save your riches,
And the other will save your soul.
Rich Mullins

deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA
9 posted 2000-02-20 08:55 PM

Michael,
  I believe we are all touched by your honesty, by your hearts battle, by your pain of percieved failure, but also by your wonderful insight and sense of renew through
God's word of LOVE.
  Believe me you are loved and respected here-What you aren't perfect? Well, you're in the right place here because none of us are either--but what brings us together in a wonderful bond is Love and a desire to "go on unto perfection."  God bless you--keep in mind, James 1:12 it can speak to you and give you enouragement in your trials.
   God bless you Friend, David

"Our Creativity points to a Higher Creator--we couldn't have just happened, and for what ability we may possess--to God be the glory." -dlw-

mirjam
since 1999-11-24
Posts 246
Auckland, New Zealand
10 posted 2000-02-21 03:15 AM

Michael isn't it wonderful that God knows your heart, He knows where you're at, how you got there, and what it will take to get you out.  He knows the desires of your heart, the despair in your heart, the longing and the regret.  And nothing we do will make him love us any less, and nothing we do will make Him love us any more.  You are already acceptable to Him, and His love is unconditional.  Praise God for giving you this revelation - that His Love keeps no account of wrong doings - that means that when you repent of something, it is forgotten, and you can start anew.  Haven't we got a merciful Father? Thanks for sharing such honest feelings, you know they are feelings others may also be feeling, and this revelation you have shared tonight will have touched and impacted others too!  May the Lord bless you today!
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
11 posted 2000-02-21 12:04 PM

Michael....this poem is based on one of my favorite bible verses....nicely done and oh so true  
poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
12 posted 2000-02-21 12:25 PM

Well, here we find ourselves back in spiritual...and with good reason.  I know we've both been hurting, and throwing punches left and right, because of our hurt.  I want to be the first to say I'm sorry, and this is not how we should be acting towards eachother.  We are only causing more pain, and inflicting it on those around us we call friends.  You and I both draw our strength from this place, so let's not kick dirt at eachother in passing.  What kind of example are we setting - besides the fact that we're making fools of ourselves here for everyone to see.  I hang my head in shame because of how we've acted out.  We've both said things that can't be erased, and I will ask forgiveness for my not controling my anger and my pain.  This is a beautiful poem, and I'm glad to see that you do know where to come to find peace.  May you find it...   SIncerely,  Gennifer
Lost Dreamer
Member Elite
since 1999-06-20
Posts 2464
Somewhere near the Rainbow
13 posted 2000-02-21 08:19 PM

Michael, I came here to read this today, for you told me about it this morning, I can tell you I did not need to read this to know the change in you. It was beautiful and made me feel so happy and proud for you. This poem just adds to those feelings. You are a wonderful person and God knew it was time for you to feel peace and I am so glad you recognized it. What special feeling that must have been to know that God personally answered your prayers so strongly, and with such love for the special child he has in you. God Bless you always Michael.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

14 posted 2000-02-22 01:57 PM

There is nothing like a fresh revelation of the Word of God! Only then can it reach us were we live. His is awesome for sure! This is a beautiful poem, Michael! I'm so glad to see that you are on the healing path! HUGS

Denise

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » If Love Be True

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary