navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Judas... the misunderstood apostle
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Judas... the misunderstood apostle Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade

0 posted 2001-08-26 04:19 PM

Judas is the classic traitor making the ultimate betrayal but was it really for money.
I remember a religion teacher saying that Judas did not betray Jesus to the Romans for economic gain that Judas was part of the Jews rebel forces hoping that the messiah would over throw the Romans. It is fact that this is what the Jews people expected of their messiah. Also I recently saw a BBC documentary on the time of Jesus and that Jesus chose Judas as the apostle to hand him over to the Romans because of his connections with Roman officials. The pieces of silver were compulsory payment to a person who handed over a criminal. The documentary was very interesting, explaining that Jesus healing the sick was a very bold gesture as the sick were looked down upon in society at the time as being unclean.
I thought I would introduce myself to this forum with this piece of discussion and see how it unfolds.
Interested to hear your voices on this.
Be well.

"the blizzard of the world has crossed the threshold and it has overturned
the order of the soul" leonard cohen

© Copyright 2001 citizenx - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2001-08-26 04:39 PM

Yes, I have always felt sorry for Judas in that he was destined to fulfill this role.  I am sure God will take this in to consideration at the final judgement call. I would be interested in knowing where your teachers got their information.  Is Judas written about somewhere besides the Bible?
May I extend a welcome to you?  Joyce

[This message has been edited by Joyce Johnson (edited 08-26-2001).]

citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade
2 posted 2001-08-26 06:06 PM

Joyce, this was years ago that the teacher mentioned this in class.

The final judgement, I always found this a paradox in my faith. To have been made in the image of God and yet to be judged by the sins of Adam. If we are subject to the final judgement then I will remain unrepentant because I regret none of my humanity or its the failings. Just my thoughts.  

"the blizzard of the world has crossed the threshold and it has overturned
the order of the soul" leonard cohen

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
3 posted 2001-08-26 11:09 PM

Your information is very interesting and I hadn't heard this before.  I, like Joyce would like to know more about the subject.
Welcome to the site and hope to see more from you.

Betty Lou Hebert

jfreak
since 1999-06-17
Posts 306
Yuma, AZ, USA
4 posted 2001-08-27 04:30 PM

Hey X,

Welcome the Forum...about the discussion you have put forth...well Judas was just fulfilling prophesy...does it really matter what his motive was?  Not really he could have done it for personal gain...he could have done it thinking that it would provoke the Messiah to start War.  Who knows?  But it doesn't really matter...the only thing that does matter is that prophecy stated that he would be sold for thirty pieces of silver...someone had to fulfill that prophecy and Judas was the man...now if he goes to heaven or hell...well that is not for man to decide...but I will say this...Peter denied Christ three times and still Christ accepted him back and Peter became one of the mightiest men in the word.  Became the leader of the church in Jerusalem...who knows what God would have done with Judas if Judas hadn't chosen to take his own life...we will never know!

J~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Judas... the misunderstood apostle

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary