navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Something to think about while writing
Teen Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Something to think about while writing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
hoppy
since 2000-01-27
Posts 271

0 posted 2000-04-18 03:23 PM

From what i've read in here most of the poems are a gross splash of feeling with nothing left to the imagination except the exact date your going to have a mental breakdown.
I think i'll quote Robert Frost on this one "Emotions must be dammed back and harnessed by discipline to the wit mill, not just turned loose in exclamations.  No force will express far that isn't shut in by discipline at all the pores to jet at one outlet only.  Emotion has been known to ooze off."

as in all of Frost's poetry as well as Poe, Emerson etc... they write of personal effect but they don't blurt out every thought in their head.  They carefully craft their poems inorder to slightly confuse the reader into thinking a bit then coming to the realization of what they are talking about.  This element makes the reader think and be more satisfied and it sound much better.

Here's a poem to show this element in short, some of you might have read it.

The Pitcher

HIs art is eccentricity, his aim
How not to hit the mark he seems to aim at,

His passion how to avoid the obvious,
His technique how to vary the avoidance.

The others throw to be comprehended. He
Throws to be a moment misunderstood.

Yet not too much.  Not errant, arrant, wild,
But every seeming aberration willed.

Not to, yet still, still to communicate
Making the batter understand too late.
--Robert Francis

think about that poem really hard.

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Don't look... you might see.
Don't listen... you might hear.
Don't think... you might learn.
Don't walk... you might stumble.
Don't run... you might fall.
Don't make a decision... you might be wrong.
Don't live...you might die.

© Copyright 2000 Hoppy - All Rights Reserved
heart_on_sleeve
since 2000-03-29
Posts 55

1 posted 2000-04-18 10:59 PM

Hoppy,
the poems we write express our feelings on how we cope with life.Even writing these poems make ourselfs feel better.It dosn't matter if it makes sense or not its what comes from our heart is how we express ourselfs.Some poems I've read here are the most heartfelt poems I ever read and their not written by Poe or whatever poets you mentioned.If you do read chicken soup for the teenage soul books,poems in there by teens are written like the same way as how we write ours.Please don't respond to this with negitive comments I'm just telling you my opinion.

heart_on_sleeve
since 2000-03-29
Posts 55

2 posted 2000-04-18 11:00 PM

Hoppy,
the poems we write express our feelings on how we cope with life.Even writing these poems make ourselfs feel better.It dosn't matter if it makes sense or not its what comes from our heart is how we express ourselfs.Some poems I've read here are the most heartfelt poems I ever read and their not written by Poe or whatever poets you mentioned.If you do read chicken soup for the teenage soul books,poems in there by teens are written like the same way as how we write ours.Please don't respond to this with negitive comments I'm just telling you my opinion.

heart_on_sleeve
since 2000-03-29
Posts 55

3 posted 2000-04-18 11:01 PM

Hoppy,

heart_on_sleeve
since 2000-03-29
Posts 55

4 posted 2000-04-18 11:03 PM

Hoppy,

heart_on_sleeve
since 2000-03-29
Posts 55

5 posted 2000-04-18 11:03 PM

Hoppy,

hoppy
since 2000-01-27
Posts 271

6 posted 2000-04-19 12:41 PM

all poetry is a heart felt expression, just some are good and some plain stink and bore people out of their minds.  I was under the misguided impression that this forum was to better your writing by means of people critiquing what we write. Not everyone agreeing that someone has had a hard time and it's a beautiful poem.  
is it that noone gives a flying flip or is it that noone here accually understands what they're doing.  Yes poetry shows emotion, yes it shows insite, yes it is expression, but no it's not a place to poor out uncontroled emotions and feelings that make no logical sense even to the writer.  That's called a "diary" not a poem.  I am guilty of writing such things because we have to inorder to "vent" but that's not what a "poem" is (by definition of webster) "a composition in verse"

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Don't look... you might see.
Don't listen... you might hear.
Don't think... you might learn.
Don't walk... you might stumble.
Don't run... you might fall.
Don't make a decision... you might be wrong.
Don't live...you might die.

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
7 posted 2000-04-19 09:01 AM

I know what you mean, Hoppy. When I first came to these forums, my poems were all just splurges of emotion. Since I have been here in Passions, my poetry has become more than that I think. I think that emotional splurges are good but can be even better if one crafts them with much care. Also, I think that if you read poetry from other forums, it can give you a good idea of that. For me, merely being surrounded by so much talent and reading all manner of poetry from all of the forums had broadened my ability(not sure that that is the right word to use but..) and helped me try out other styles and varieties of poems that I would never have tried before. Maybe with time that will happen to everyone. Heart On Sleeve, don't be offended by this, I find all poetry lovely but some poems are crafted better than others. The emotion is with all of us, the ability to put it into words and verse is the art which we must better ourselves at. Don't stop posting what you write from the heart though, just keep your mind open to other styles, try different things. Visit the other forums for to see a different perspective on poetry than yours maybe. Again, there is nothing wrong with splurges of emotion-I love them-but at the same time, keep trying to get better at expressing that emotion in verse...that's what poetry is all about, isn't it?...expressing oneself in verse....

Well, this is just my humble opinion....please don't anyone get upset or take offense. We are all friends in this forum as well as poets. I hope I haven't upset anybody in anyway.

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is my rainbow of delight."

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
8 posted 2000-04-19 09:15 PM

Hey, i don't want to offend anyone here, but I totally agree with Hoppy.. I mean, everyone has a different style of writting, and I do not believe, that any of the poetry here could not do with a little improvement.. but that is what these forums are for.. for others to give their honest opinions about others work, so that you can better your work.. of course, any alterations made, have to be by YOUR choice, bso if you disagree with a criticism, don't be offended by it, that person is just trying to help.. it is your choice, whether you take any notice of it or not..

I do agree, that often, poetry is better if somethings are left to the reader.. instead of everything being spelt out, leaving no mystery.. and of course, a poet should always write from their heart.. in their own style.. if you believe that it is better to write, ALL your emotions down, then do that.. do not change your opinion, unhappily.. If you believe that it is better to write poems like Hoppy has said, then do so.. but also be aware, that you can not always persuade everyone to have the same opinion..

In MY opinion, I think that poetry IS better, if somethings are a little 'fuzzy'.. although, I have not quite mastered the art of writing like this.. I thank Hoppy, for saying this.. I'm sure there are a few ppl who think this way.. but.. be aware that not everyone takes criticism easily.. (although, when posting poetry in a forum, ppl should always be open to both positive AND negative remarks.. ^_^)

I will echo Lizzie here.. "All poetry is lovely but some poems are crafted better than others. The emotion is with all of us, the ability to put it into words and verse is the art which we must better ourselves at." this is almost a HOLY statement.. so true.. ^_^ thanx Lizzie, I couldn't have said it better. My view exactly.

Anyway, i will be watching your poetry, Hoppy, I like the way you think... *_^

heart_on_sleeve.. I'll be watching your poetry too..   don't take offense at any of this.. k? thanx..
hey, can I ask.. y did u post so many times? it was kinda un-necessary.. see, every post makes an impact here, they are all read.. so, u made a big impact with your first post.. so the others were kinda... well, redundant.. ^_^

Lynne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Something to think about while writing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary