navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » Bud Wiser?
Open Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bud Wiser? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoeticPreacher
since 1999-10-20
Posts 28
jkljkj

0 posted 1999-10-23 03:36 PM

This little poem has special meaning to me. In my area, five teenagers have died as a result of drinking too much beer then driving. We have a school for the deaf here in Big Spring Texas. I dedicated this poem to a deaf student who was killed in a hit and run while riding his bike. The kid who killed him was only 17 years old and had been drinking beer with his other teenage friends.

While I realize that it is not only teens who are drunk driving, I also know for a fact that as they watch the funny beer commercials year after year, while growing up, many of them will think it's cool to drink and definitely try it before they reach "drinking age". I decided some years ago that I would teach my children to see the real message and realize all motives behind all commercials before you get suck in by the humor of it all.

Bud Wiser?

Bobby is a teen, who often sits with his dad.
Unaware of a fact that is so very sad.
Delirious with the stench of laughter,
While cliches set the stage for possible disaster.
Even though they’re funny, his dad is not aware,
It is also directed at his Bobby over there.
Sooner then he should...Bobby will take his turn.
Encouraging also others, whose parents failed to discern.
Rounds of applause to the lizards and the frogs?

© Copyright 1999 PoeticPreacher - All Rights Reserved
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 1999-10-23 03:41 PM

We definately need to talk to our kids about these issues. Many things dangerous are show as comidy by the media. You did a great job with this piece and it has a great message.
Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

2 posted 1999-10-23 04:36 PM

Well done on this.Astonishing fact that the things we wish to protect our childen from are the very things we find so amusing.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Witch's Brat
since 1999-09-17
Posts 100

3 posted 1999-10-23 04:48 PM

You really said it well, PoeticPreacher--this topic has special meaning for me as well. I know a high-school age girl who, upon being asked her favorite commercial (some kind of silly poll), said hers was the Budweiser commercial with the lizard. It really hits home for a lot of people.

------------------

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

4 posted 1999-10-23 05:13 PM

Yep, I agree. Although those commercials are hillarious, we must teach our children the dangers associated with over-indulgence, especially when driving is going to be attempted afterwards.

------------------
Denise

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
5 posted 1999-10-23 09:14 PM

Back to the top!

------------------
*Elizabeth*

"Dwelt a maid belov'd and cherish'd by high and low,
But with autumn leaf she perish'd, long time ago..."

"Something sweet, something sort of grandish, sweeps my soul when thou art near..."

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
6 posted 1999-10-24 06:08 PM

This gem is certainly worth more than one lap around the forum....Nicely said PP..
PoeticPreacher
since 1999-10-20
Posts 28
jkljkj
7 posted 1999-10-25 12:40 PM

Oh! Is that what Elizabeth meant by back to the top?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » Bud Wiser?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary