navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Freedom - 2
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Freedom - 2 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 1999-07-04 02:55 PM

I am a child of the sixties
we marched for civil rights
we loved to chant about freedom
never backed down from fights.

Now, I gaze out from my prison bars
wondering why this was done to me
Marching for what I believe is right
chanting to allow all men to be free.

You can imprison my body
but my mind is mine to control
you can never bind my heart
nor ever seize my soul.

Freedom to love, to breath, to live
freedom from other’s scorn
freedom, not earned, but freedom
just from being born.

© Copyright 1999 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Craig
since 1999-06-10
Posts 444

1 posted 1999-07-04 07:10 PM

Thank you for making me think

I read this straight after reading Balladeers war poem ..Boys Who Went To War and was reminded of a line written by a songwriter of the time…’ Those not busy being born are busy dying’ and I think of the times I have said I’m busy.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 1999-07-04 07:16 PM

Today, with the world as small as it seems, you don't have to be an American to value the idea of freedom that we celebrate today. Afterall, America has always been a melting pot of other cultures - we rejoice in that! So if you are from another country and are reading this, wondering what all the fuss is about .... let me tell you... the fuss is nothing more than the humanity of freedom. Not just the flag waving, chest thumping kind. But freedom to sit where you want on a bus..freedom to love whom you choose...freedom to celebrate your God any way, any day you choose...freedom to dispute what authority tells you...freedom to be happy..this most of all...freedom to be happy - with who you are - who you want to be - celebrate the happiness of freedom. Many have died in every country for this freedom, we should not take it lightly, nor take it for granted....
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 1999-07-04 07:56 PM

As long as your quest for freedom doesn't infringe upon another's rights, I agree with all you say.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Freedom - 2

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary