navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Deep Wet Moss
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Deep Wet Moss Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
INclan
since 1999-07-20
Posts 1024
Indiana, USA

0 posted 1999-07-24 08:42 AM

Since I posted that piece of trash yesterday I feel I owe penence. Here is one of my favorites. From a collection entitled "Slow Smoke" by Lew Sarett. I have only seen two copies and own them both. I have not seen or heard of any other published work by this author.

Deep Wet Moss

Deep wet moss and cool blue shadows
Beneath a bending fir,
And the purple solitude of mountain,
When only the dark owls stir--
Oh, there will come a day, a twilight,
When I shall sink to rest
In deep wet moss and cool blue shadows
Upon a mountain's breast,
And yield a body torn with passions,
And bruised with earthly scars,
To the cool oblivion of evening,
Of solitude and stars.

Lew Sarett

© Copyright 1999 KKunnen - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 1999-07-24 09:31 AM

INclan, it is indeed a lovely poem. But assuming the copyright is still valid, you can't post it here. The only thing an author ever really owns is his copyright - and as writers we, more than most, should respect that.

Oh, btw, Sarett was the author of five volumes of poetry, including Many Many Moons, The Box of God, Wings Against the Moon, and The Collected Poems of Lew Sarett. The last work had an introduction by his friend of many years, poet and biographer Carl Sandburg.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 07-24-99).]

INclan
since 1999-07-20
Posts 1024
Indiana, USA
2 posted 1999-07-24 09:55 AM

thank you Ron for replying. I was under the impression that as long as the work was properly documented...to list it here was acceptable. Now I have new titles to look for. Thanx again
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 1999-07-24 10:11 AM

To be honest, INclan, it's a pretty gray area. To quote such a short piece probably wouldn't upset anyone. It could even be argued that it helps sell the author's books. But because it is a gray area, I would prefer to avoid it altogether.

And, yes, you should have a real treat in store should you find the other titles. I particularly recommend "God Is at the Anvil," a poem used in a lot of college lit texts. Sarett, incidentally grew up about 60 miles from me - albeit 50 years before I was born.

INclan
since 1999-07-20
Posts 1024
Indiana, USA
4 posted 1999-07-24 10:21 AM

Ron,

I understand about the grey area and wanting to steer clear. What more can you tell me about Lew Sarett?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Deep Wet Moss

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary