navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Where were you?
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Where were you? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Starlight
since 1999-07-14
Posts 1
wilmington nc united states

0 posted 1999-07-14 02:27 AM

A newborn cries out for her father to pick her up and hold her close
Where were you when I cried out for you

A baby takes her first step with her father there to praise her
Where were you when i need praise

A child at play runs to her father with a scrapped knee, through the tears she asks him to kiss it and make it better
Where where you when i needed a kiss just to make things better

A little girl crys on the first day of school and her father reassures her that everything is going to be ok
Where were you when i needed reassurance

A young lady walks across the stage on graduation day, she looks out into the audience to catch a smile from her father
Where were you when i looked out into the audience to catch a smile

A woman now walks arm and arm with her father, as they approach the alter he gives her away to the man she loves.
Where are you going to be when i need a father to walk me down the aisle?

© Copyright 1999 Starlight - All Rights Reserved
elvira
since 1999-07-06
Posts 936
California
1 posted 1999-07-14 02:35 AM

i know that feeling all too well

------------------
Childhood Memories...your countenance...hoarse whispers...serving wench...stolen hours...devotion...Master

azblond
since 1999-07-01
Posts 637
The Steamy Desert
2 posted 1999-07-14 02:40 AM

How many times I have written the same words for my own Father...followed with the ending verse of "Where were you when I needed you to read it" I am sure you know that still even without him, you became a remarkable woman anyway.

------------------
For sometimes when the Darkness falls, we must surrender, take what is ours, and give what we can, and always remember love is somewhere waiting...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Where were you?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary