navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Splitting Open?
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Splitting Open? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...

0 posted 2002-03-23 02:21 PM

I was discussing this with a friend, and we thing it deserves some consideration. But, perhaps it doesn't.

In open, it seems there is a lot of varried types and genres, and the mishmash affect creates a bit of havoc. A good love poem drops down to page five in open, or a good 'anger' poem does the same. Having so many types in one is nice, but also uncomfortable. If you read only love poems, do you discriminate against the anger ones? Or what if simply need to read a good love poem, and can't find it in the pot? What I am trying to get at is...

why not split open into a few lesser forums, perhaps love, perhaps future minded, perhaps bitter/angry, maybe add a sad. I know it would be a lot on our server, Ron, but maybe just split off at least a love forum? I've been desiring one for a while now.

~ Titus

"My body is merely the canvas of my soul."
         ~ The Night Owl

© Copyright 2002 Daniel Redding - All Rights Reserved
RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
1 posted 2002-03-23 02:26 PM

I can totally see where you're coming from Titus. I think it would be great to have a special forum set aside for love poems!
I am in the mood to read love poems often and it would be great to just be a click away and have a page full of them lined up with nothing else mixed in.

If the anger forum and love forum were added, I know it would mean that we need more mods to moderate and I'd be happy to do so.

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
2 posted 2002-03-23 02:53 PM

That would make the place boring.  It would also encourage people who frequent particular forums not to explore other styles of poetry.

I don't like the idea.

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
3 posted 2002-03-23 03:31 PM

It would give people the ability to choose, Allan, not have it forced on them. What if a person enjoys 'Love' poetry only. Why should that person have to sift through all the mishmash to get to what he wants, merely because you, or others, think he should do it your way?

The beauty of this place is it's many things for many people. We all know love is a key motivator for poetry. I simply feel we should recognize that and make room for change.

~ Titus

~ The Night Owl

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

4 posted 2002-03-23 04:31 PM

How about a compromise that wouldnt involve creating more forums to read in an what many feel is an already too busy site that we often cant keep up in (which is one reason why the poems you speak of are getting buried)... maybe instead of making more forums, which means more server work, more posts to moderate and reply to ...
how about the poems posted in Open have some kind of denotation or icon or simply us saying (a love poem) in the title line?
Then those wishing to seek them out can.
But some will not like the idea of their poetry being categorized...
I.E. (an "angry" poem)
Food for thought  
peace and poetry.
jm

[This message has been edited by Janet Marie (03-23-2002 04:32 PM).]

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2002-03-24 09:09 AM

other sites  break up into categories...I never liked it that much..

for one thing what one writes about and calls love, may include anger or be considered sad by another's interpretation...there is sadness and happiness in love poems..so how  do you  discriminate which is which...I enjoy the open for the way it is..sad can be in dark if one goes there... most of them are sad...

It's hard enough to keep up with Open and one or two other forums, to add more will make it even  more time consuming...Titles usually give you a clue as to what the poem is to be about...and I agree that if you separate the poems then someone will miss the opportunity to read a wonderfully written poem that they may have not expected to enjoy. I  read through most all...I don't respond to all but I try to read them all because you never know which poems will touch you and make your day.

M

Oh and you can use search to  post the word love or anger or sad in it to get poems that may be of your liking for that  day...I have tried it when I wanted a particular subject or even looking up one of mine I  forgot the title to. *s

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2002-03-24 01:24 PM

(smiles) I love Janet Marie's suggestion; I feel if we divide the Open board up, it will disunify much of the poetry community, but I think if we can set icons on the ide of the poems, or color-code the poem titles or something in particular, it will help poets who love a particular genre find the poems they want to read and make their experience more enjoyable!

I also think we can do something like on "Today's Topics", we are able to seperate the listings for each genre of poetry by the icons in Open to make it very easy for love poets to find love poetry or ones who like darkness to find that genre, etc.

Love,
Noah Eaton

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
7 posted 2002-03-24 03:33 PM

What of perhaps this idea.... when posting a new poem, have a few general boxes, such as "Love" "Sad" et all. So that Open remains Open, but one could search for poems under such genres. Perhaps?

~ Titus

~ The Night Owl

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
8 posted 2002-03-24 05:45 PM

I agree with Janet.  Having a little heart icon by the person poem will give the poet the choice whether or not to label the poem.  It will also make it easier to find what you are looking for, if you are searching for love poems.  Good idea Janet

Tara

Phaedrus
since 2002-01-26
Posts 180

9 posted 2002-03-24 06:43 PM

If the icon idea is implemented what happens if you write a love poem and don’t pick the relevant icon? Does the poem get a default ‘open’ icon? If so isn’t there a chance that someone who likes love poems will miss one that hasn’t been categorised correctly.

Then we get into the problem of re-categorising poems that have been categorised incorrectly, would this be down to the moderators or would you just put up with a mishmash of poems - some love some not? If it’s the former it could cause a lot of work, if it’s the later then the object of the exercise would be missed.

Just playing devils advocate.

Thanks for the chance to read and reply

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
10 posted 2002-03-25 09:15 AM

I don't post that many poems... but honestly doubt I'd post any if I had to categorize them... and if I, as the author, can't decide their category... how could anyone else?

I've visited sites that have everything neatly categorized... and I'm sure that's more convenient for those who want to limit their reading. But I don't even like places that separate free verse and rhyme... I like variety. *S* When I think of the wonderful poems I would have missed if I'd gotten exactly what I expected when I opened the poem, I can only hope that PIP doesn't change.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
11 posted 2002-03-25 11:00 AM

When I began at Passions In Poetry, eons
(or is that icons (?) ago ... the one constant that I could depend on was 'chancing' upon a variety of poetry that wasn't 'categorized'.

Oh my !  .... how my enjoyment has been enhanced by finding such a VARIETY of styles, forms and subjects by merely clicking on any poem in the Open Aisle !

I believe that interpretation is the key to my enjoyment of poetry ... I would really hate to miss a good poem because someone 'labeled' it and that wasn't on my menu for the day~

Just my little $1.98 worth~
*Hugs*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
         noles1@totcon.com                    

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2002-03-25 12:14 PM

...LOL at Marge...with two cents change!

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (03-25-2002 12:15 PM).]

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
13 posted 2002-03-25 03:49 PM

I love the variety, and multiple styles and personalities as well...

but why should we force ourselves onto others? Why not let them choose to read various styles or merely what they are looking for?

~ Titus

~ The Night Owl

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
14 posted 2002-03-26 07:10 PM

but why should we force ourselves onto others

I know you don't mean to say this do you?

How is one forced to read anything anyway...you click on what titles you wish and the authors..and skip those you don't feel would be to your liking, but no one is forced to do anything on here..

Anyway, you can tell by the first line or so what the poem  will be about....

Maybe it's an age thing... and of the many  experiences ... and that many have been in love, married, have children and losses, etc.. but it would be a loss to my reading eyes to miss the touch of anothers words because I had to switch forums constantly, to be able to read of those poets I  enjoy.

I don't even think I would like icons...I agree with Marge..there is much beauty behind these titles and categorizing them  more than they already are...will make this site lose some of what has made it so popular.

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
15 posted 2002-03-27 04:05 PM

"I know you don't mean to say this do you?

How is one forced to read anything anyway...you click on what titles you wish and the authors..and skip those you don't feel would be to your liking, but no one is forced to do anything on here.."

In a way, yes, I did mean to say that. What I feel we are forcing on others is to have to sift through every poem to find a genre they are looking for. If we organized the poetry.... even simply splitting off a "Love" section, this would allow our users to choose the genre they want. Titles or a few lines don't allow me to see what a poem is.... to get a real feel for where a poet is going I have to read the entire thing. And if I am in the mood for a 'dark' poem, I go to dark. If I am in the mood for a 'love' poem, I go to open, hoping to find one by sifting through that which I'm not interested in, at the moment. Later, yes I'll hopefully read it. But to have to sift is somewhat of a discourager. Does this make sense?

I merely think we should let people decide for themselves what they wish to read, and make it easiest for them. Perhaps I am wrong. I see and apprecaite the beauty of Open. I just think a little organizing would benifit pip and it's users.

~ Titus

~ The Night Owl

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
16 posted 2002-03-27 06:28 PM

Titus~
quote:
The beauty of this place is it's many things for many people.

AND a very nice comment, I must say~

Let's see -
'How do I love thee, let me count the ways."

Love Poetry - (sub-categories)

1.  Man for woman
2.  Woman for man
3.  Mother for daughter
4.  Mother for son
5.  Father for daughter
6.  Father for son
7.  Woman for Lemon Meringue Pie
8.  Women for CHOCOLATE
9.  Grandmother's for grandchildren
10. Man for fishing
11. Man for hunting
12. Women for fishing
13. Women for hunting
14. Sensual love (men and women)
15. Sensual love (men and men)
16. Sensual love (women and women)
17. Young love
18. Seasoned love
19. Romance while courting
19. Romance after marriage
20. Romance in the morning
21. Romance in the afternoon
22. Romance in the evening
23. All night long !
24. Puppy love
24. Love of puppies !
25. I love my truck !
26. I love my Harley ! (Kawasaki - Gold Wing)
27. Love POETRY ... oh, boy do I !

Anyone care to add some more ?
I'm all loved out~
Tee-Hee ... and BEFORE anyone gets their little Fruit of the Looms twisted ... I'm having a little p-funnerie~

*HUGS* n' *WINKS* n' *Whatcha Thinks*
~*Marge*~

OH .... has anyone tried this link ?
It has poetry in categories !
http://netpoets.com/
Love Poetry
Poems on Cyber Romance
Poems about Friends & Lovers
Poems about Teen Love
Love Poetry For Two
Poems about Lost Romance

Sad Poetry
Poems About Death
Poems On Depression
Sad Poems About Society
Poems about Lost Romance

Friendship Poetry
Poems about Lost Friends
Poems about Cyber Friendship
Poems about Teen Friendship
Poems about Friends & Lovers

Poems on Life
Attack on America
Inspirational Poems
Poems about Family
Poems about Life in Society
Poems on Life as a Teen

Poetry Buffet
Christian Poetry
Humorous Poetry
Poems that Tell a Story
Poems on Beauty
Special Occassion & Holiday Poetry
Short Fiction
Poetry About Poetry

Classical Poetry
Elizabeth Barret Browning
Emily Dickinson
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
William Shakespeare
Many, many more...

pipTalk Poetry Forums
Teen Poetry
Dark Passions
Spiritual Journeys
Critical Analysis
Passions in Prose
Poetry Workshop
Holiday Cheer
Lots, lots more...

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
         noles1@totcon.com                    

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
17 posted 2002-03-27 11:27 PM

Hey...I have an idea, let's just post our poems in an open forum. Sorry... I couldn't resist. ROTFL
Android 17
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
18 posted 2002-03-29 09:25 PM

Hmmm...I agree with Allan---but on a more greater scale. Even us having "Teen Poetry"---it shouldn't matter. A poet, is a poet, is a poet, is a poet! I mean...it doesn't matter if you're a teen or not---and if you get caught in the vibe of going to Teen Poetry all the time, then you're not going to check out the rest of PiP either! I can see why Ron made it like this---but still. It doesn't encourage very much...much---'poetic commerce' y'know what I'm saying?
Love, Hate, Fear, Happiness---it shouldn't matter...how are we expected to enjoy PiP if there isn't any mixed variety?

Others are too in love with the sound of their own voice to speak the truth...

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

19 posted 2002-03-29 10:55 PM

PIP has several categories already including one open, or generalized, category.  Isn't that the best of both worlds?  Ok, add a category or two if you must, but keep one open.
I may write to a form but not to a category and I don't care to.  In fact, I prefer to post in Open so that I'm not confined to a category.
The only problem I see is that Open is too large and moves too fast.  Too darn many people writing!!!  Some of you stop it!!!
Kraw'

"As soon as the generals and the politicos can predict the motions of your mind, lose it."     Wendell Berry

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
20 posted 2002-03-29 11:09 PM

Krawdad, some of us have to stop it because the muse is being stubborn!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Splitting Open?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary