navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » PIP Is Loading Spyware/Adware Into My Computer
Bug Swatter
Post A Reply Post New Topic PIP Is Loading Spyware/Adware Into My Computer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass

0 posted 2004-06-20 03:44 PM

I have had trouble recently with the adware and spyware in my computer, stuff that watches where you go and reports it to outside parties, and/or puts ad windows up as if they were coming from websites you visit.

I bought programs to take it out of my computer, but it kept coming back, seemingly every time I went online.

This time I cleaned after a fresh reboot, went only to a PIP forum, and rechecked. The result: eight instances of adware and spyware suddenly appeared.

I got multiple instances of some. The names of the ones I found are: VX2.f; VX2.ABetterInternet; StopPop; Twain-Tech (three instances); and Downloadware (two instances).

This stuff violates personal security and can do things like stealing passwords and private information, as well as downloading advertising to your machine and displaying it on you. It also slows down the computer's operation.

I'll keep checking my own computer each time I'm here, but I'd appreciate it if you'd look for it on the site and take it off if you find it.

© Copyright 2004 Ed Ratledge - All Rights Reserved
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
1 posted 2004-06-20 03:46 PM

Grrrr....I just redisplayed this message, and got a popup offering me the golden chance to improve my computer's performance -- Irony Rules!

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2004-06-20 05:11 PM

Yikes, this is NOT a good side benefit!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2004-06-20 05:34 PM

Perhaps it's the ads that help pay for the site that are doing this? I didn't know that the adware stuff would take your passwords...(it's a good idea to change them often and keep the world guessing).
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
4 posted 2004-06-20 07:37 PM

The adware won't, that's only a pain in the (fill in the blank)... but the same type of bug can be used to report every keystroke you enter....so if I go to my bank or online broker somebody I don't know could get my account numbers, pins and passwords.

Here's the lowdown on that vx2.f -- it's a type that can do either: http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/v/vx2.asp

I just tested again and didn't have them, and I have visited a couple of different forums. So, maybe it's a fluke or was placed there by one of the ad banners that only come up occasionally. I dunno, but I don't like it and thought I'd better let folks know.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2004-06-20 07:38 PM

Ads on the Internet cannot run programs on your computer unless you tell them they can, either by clicking a program (in which case you are asked to run or save the program) or by allowing Active-X controls. It's possible you have Active-X controls enabled, but not likely (at least no one should EVER have them enabled).

I hate to say it, but the most likely scenario is that you are infected and not being as fully cleaned as you might think. Otherwise, I would expect a lot more people to be experiencing the same (including me, since I use IE on the forums). Easy to check. Clean your system as you did before and then do NOT come into the forums. If you see the same thing on, say, Google, you can be sure your own system is the one requesting the programs to be loaded.

I'm a bit rushed for time right now, but will check into our advertisers a bit later to see if other sites have complained about nefarious behaviors.

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
6 posted 2004-06-20 07:56 PM

Thanks, Ron -- meanwhile I'll go look at Active-X to be sure it's off. I'm pretty sure I'm getting clean though, I'm using two different systems and I've searched for individual files that were said to be associated with them.

Hopefully it's a false alarm --

Happy Father's Day, PIP Pappy!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » PIP Is Loading Spyware/Adware Into My Computer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary