navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » Old links?
Bug Swatter
Post A Reply Post New Topic Old links? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

0 posted 2002-07-28 10:46 PM

I noticed in two threads where I added links to old poems of mine in the reply (My dear darkness in Dark 3, Anger management in The Alley), a 404 error comes up when the links are opened. The only reason I find this strange is, before the server move, these links worked fine.

Oh well.

She said burn ... together.
-TON

© Copyright 2002 MPC - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2002-07-28 11:12 PM

And they will again, Mike. All you need to do is go to each of the poems and read it again.

A few years ago, I had to take all the old forums off line for several months because we ran out of disk space. Our current scheme was my cobbled-together solution to that problem. The Archives, formidable as they are, are possible because they are dynamically created. Unlike the regular forums, where these pages exist at all times, the threads in the forums exist only when someone reads them. Since 90 percent of the poems in the Archives are never touched, that saves us tons and tons of disk space. When the forums were moved (or any time I rebuild the forum files), those static pages were "retired" again, waiting for someone to ask for them.

Go into the Archive forum and find your poem (or use Smart Search) and look at the link BEFORE you click on it. You'll see that it's calling a CGI program. When you click on the link, that program will rebuild and immediately redirect you to the HTML page. At that point, your links will again work. At least … until the next time I have to rebuild the forum files.

Bookmarking or linking to anything in the Archives is, at best, iffy. Those pages simply don't exist all the time. If they did, we'd need a whole lot more disks.

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2002-07-29 11:57 AM

Thanks, Ron. That makes a lot more sense now.

She said burn ... together.
-TON

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » Old links?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary