navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » History
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic History Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Little_Spyro
since 2000-01-09
Posts 659
San Diego, CA, USA

0 posted 2000-12-22 01:50 PM

On a late summer day in the Middle Ages, a dragon walked into a building and came up to the front desk.
“Hi, I’m here to defeat a knight,” he said.
“Second hallway to the left, five doors down,” the lady behind the desk said in a dull, droning voice.
“Um, okay, thanks,” the dragon replied, and started towards where she had directed him. This place is pretty big, he thought. Probably about five stories high—unlike my 2-story lair I have. I probably should’ve looked for a better deal in Lairs for Rent. Oh well.
Finally, the dragon arrived at the fifth door. He knocked, and a man in seedy robes opened it and looked up and down at the visitor.
“Hi, I’m here to defeat this one knight,” the dragon said again.
“Oh. Well, come have a seat over here,” the man replied, directing him to two long benches facing back-to-back. The dragon sat down and waited.

Not much later, a knight in heavy chain mail came up to the same building and walked up to the front desk.
“Hi, I’m here to slay a dragon,” he told the lady behind the desk.
“Second hallway to the left, six doors down,” she said in a really dry, bored voice. I wonder what’s up with her, he thought. Maybe she stayed up too late watching “Damsel in Distress”—never cared too much for the show, anyway. His armor made small clanking noises as he walked down the hall and to the sixth door. When he got there, he knocked.
A short man in odd-looking clothes opened the door and looked at the knight.
“Hi, I’m here to slay this one dragon,” he said, repeating the sentence he’d used at the front desk.
“Oh. Well, come have a seat over here,” the man said, pointing to a couple of benches facing back-to-back. There was somebody sitting on the other side, but the lighting made it difficult to see who it was. The knight also noticed another door on the other side, labeled B-5. The one he’d come through was B-6.
Not knowing what else to do, the knight sat down on the bench and let his chain mail sag. He sighed heavily.
“Ohhh, I’m tired,” he said.
“Slow day, huh?” a voice coming from the other bench asked.
“Yup. I had five jousts today, all of which I lost, and when I get home I still have to pay the rent, even though my salary’s been cut some. And my sword’s starting to get out of shape, I might have to go to Weapons, Etc. to get a new one.”
“Yeah, I know how you feel,” the guy said. “No luck for me today, either—my All-Natural Torch and Lighting business isn’t going well, my wife’s got a set of hatchlings coming, and my hoard of gold is starting to get really small. So there goes my bed, and my money.”
“Life sure is rough,” the knight remarked. “So what are you here for?”
“Oh, I’m here to defeat this knight…I don’t suppose you would’ve seen him?”
The knight racked his brain for the reference. “Nope, sorry,” he said.
“Oh…well, that’s okay, I don’t feel like doing it, either. They said it’s for this thing they’re writing…what was it again? Oh yeah, it’s called History, or something. A whole load of nonsense, if you ask me. So what are you here for?”
“They took me off work today to come here, and I’m supposed to slay this dragon. Doesn’t sound very fun, or interesting. You wouldn’t happen to have seen a dragon around here, would you?”

“Hmm, let me think…” the dragon said, searching his memory for anything on the subject. “No, not that I can remember, sorry.”
“Oh,” the guy on the other side of the bench said. “Well, thanks anyway.”
There were a few moments of silence, then the dragon spoke up again.
“I heard that in this History thing they’re writing, dragons are supposed to be terrorizing villages, and blowing up castles, and stuff. Can you believe it?”
“What kind of baloney is that? A dragon burning up a village…ha ha…that’s a good one!” The guy snorted with laughter. “Anything else you know about History?”
“Yeah, that knights are supposed to be slaying dragons left and right, and getting all these rewards and medals and stuff for it.”
“I don’t know any knights that would want to do that,” the guy said. “We’re too caught up in jousts and wars and stuff, and of course there’s our horseracing.”
“You make any money off of it lately?” the dragon asked.
“Ah, a little gold here and there, I usually bet on the number four at the local racetrack, ‘Winged Beast.’”
“Good name,” said the dragon, flexing his own wings. He extended them and felt them snap back into place afterwards.
“Enough of this, I want to get out of here,” the guy on the other side of the bench said, getting up and walking around.
“Yeah, me too,” the dragon replied. “Want a ride?”
“Sure, you know where I could get one? Do you have a horse?”
“No, not really, but I’ve got me,” he said.
The dragon’s eyes fell on what the guy was wearing, and the surprise was evident on his face.

The knight turned around to see who he’d been talking to all along, and was shocked to discover who—and what—he was.
“You’re the—the—”
Both of them seemed to be in the same state of utter shock, but within moments the feeling had passed. There was more silence afterward as the two calmed down a little.

“So, still up for that ride?” the dragon asked.
“Of course, I’d love one,” the knight replied.

The knight crawled up on the dragon’s back once they’d gotten outside, and took off towards the village.

Little Spyro T. Dragon

© Copyright 2000 Sam Reinsford (Little_Spyro) - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2000-12-22 09:05 PM

Cool idea Spyro...

lol

nice write!

K

a_little_girl
since 2000-05-08
Posts 307
San Alejandro, HI, USA
2 posted 2000-12-27 12:30 PM

Well done...and kinda humorous. I like the idea that two different species are doing things they like together instead of fighting. I just wish that would happen irl.

Little_Spyro
since 2000-01-09
Posts 659
San Diego, CA, USA
3 posted 2000-12-29 12:45 PM

lol, thanks guys!   I got the inspiration from a mythology book I was reading. I didn't like what it said, so I decided to change it a little.  

Little Spyro T. Dragon

Though my body be
Human, my heart and soul be
That of a dragon.

Watching the poets
Passions' guardian dragon
Moves with the rhymes' flow.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » History

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary