navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Christmas Call
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Christmas Call Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida

0 posted 2000-12-20 11:35 AM

Hello honey is that you?

No, no, it isn’t anything serious, it’s just…Did I call you at a bad time?  Because I could always call back…are you sure?  I don’t want to keep you if you’re busy.
What’s that clatter in the background?  Is that one of the boys carrying on like that?  Why in the world do they have to do something like that inside, isn’t that why you have a garage?  Well, tell them to go outside and play.
Little monsters…by god, I didn’t let you and your brother walk all over me when you were little and you shouldn’t stand for it either. It’s just that I don’t understand why you put up with that…after all you are their mother.

Now sweetheart, I’m not trying to say that you can’t handle them…I just think they need to show you a little more respect than they do.

Well, if they’re giving you a headache then you should send them outdoors for a while and take a nap…take a couple of aspirins…have you been taking your vitamins?  You’ve never been very good about taking care of your health…

Oh dear, I’ve upset you haven’t I?
I worry about you honey, that’s all.  You need some time to yourself once in a while you know.

Did you get your Christmas tree put up?  I bet it looks beautiful...I know, I remember how busy I used to be at this time of year.  All the decorations, shopping, baking...remember the gingerbread cookies that I used to bake with the applesauce in their bellies?  Oh yes, I used to just fall into bed every night, exhausted from all the activities...but it was worth it all, just to see how happy it made my children...

No, I don’t think we’ll get one this year…after all it’s just the two of us…

What’s the matter?  Can you hear me? Okay, I’ll hold on…What?  Oh my lord no!

Well did you get it all put out?  Thank God!  You’re going to have to keep the doors and windows open for a bit dear.

Honey, she’s not old enough to be using the stove, even if you are right there with her.

Is that her crying?

Poor girl, tell her grandma will teach her how to make some wonderful no-bake cookies if she can visit this summer...you know I'd love to have her...oh? I did't realize she was going to camp this year, how exciting!

Yes, I understand, you need to go take care of her.  I remember what it’s like to have little ones…

Your brother?  No, I haven’t heard from him in a while, but I know how busy he is…Yes, he sent me a beautiful Christmas card.  No, he didn’t call, but you have to remember that he always spends the holidays at the ski lodge with Susan’s parents…Well his father in-law is his boss, remember?  

All right, I won’t keep you, give those little rugrats hugs and kisses from me okay?

And make them mind you now, you hear?
No, don’t apologize…I know how hard it is to call when you have so much to do…especially the day before Christmas.

Tell, Jack’s folks hello for me…I love you too, I’ll talk to you again real soon…

okay… next time it will be your dime.  

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 12-20-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Deborah L. Carter - All Rights Reserved
bluebrdy65
since 2000-05-16
Posts 276
Gladys,
1 posted 2000-12-21 10:55 PM

Debbie this is sad
but how true it is
I see how my parents are
I live so far form them I go to visit as much as I can
My mom says she talks to me more than she talks to my brother that lives 5 blocks from her.
Then theres the other brother that lives about an hour away and doesnt feel obligated to come even to family holidays or events even after the parents help put him through law shcool.
I am 4 hours away I try to call email
and visit when I can.
But I know they love it when we are all together which never seems to happen
its sad.
Best Wishes Bluebrdy

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2000-12-23 06:02 PM

Very good.  Interesting concept, and I will have to try to re-create some of the phone conversations I had with my mother, and the thoughts in my head that didn't get out...

and will never be shared now.

Very good.

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Christmas Call

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary