navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Remember The Roof..............
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Remember The Roof.............. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2000-11-04 10:03 PM

I Remember the Roof

We still lived in Culver City then.  In the 1950's, it was a good time for California. It was before there were dads taking kids to the job with them, before moms really worked outside the home, while raising a family.  I do not recall why I was with Dad that day, but I would imagine, knowing myself as I do now, that it was because I had asked; moreover, because my Dad had a soft heart.  I only know that we never talked about it in later days, and I probably know why.  Dad had done what he wanted.  He never questioned his actions.

I was born in Los Angeles proper, and exactly as proper, I was delivered in a hospital known as the City of Angels, which is a direct namesake of Los Angeles.  Chances are, you know that.  Our family resided in a side district, known as Culver City.  To this day, I remember the one conversation in which my dad was most remorseful: he did not have one thousand dollars to put into an acquisition of real estate, which would later become "prime land."  Dad now resided in California, but his roots were in South Dakota.  Mom's roots were in Oklahoma.  No wonder I never felt like I belonged in California.

Later on, my siblings and I learned that the "prime land" eventually yielded a multi-storied apartment building.  It was southerly of where the first home in which I resided.  Knowing what I know now, I would not live there today.  But way back then, when Dad spoke of this fact, which he did not do often, I felt regret for him.  I would have bestowed to him that one thousand dollars, if I had it then to offer, and if I knew it should or could have been given.  At the time, it was not mine to give.  I remember the tone of conversation, as if Dad had let us down, and it was something for which we should forgive him.  In hindsight, he was sorry.  In hindsight, I am not sorry.  He always gave of his heart, which strengthens me to this day.

I am off on a tangent.  What I wanted to tell you was the day I knew I was my father's girl.  I had learned from him, because of his qualities, that if subjected to a task, I would rise to it.  He did that for me.  Yes, I will have questions on something I do not know how to do, but that will not keep me from performing a task.  It also probably helped provide me with my bullheadedness.  All because my Dad put a hammer in my hand.

He had taken me to work with him one day.  In California, every day is mostly summer, so I do not remember the exact month…but it was sunny and warm, of course.  To my knowledge, my Mom was not ill, and there was most likely no school that day.  I just recall being up on the roof of a home that was in the process of being constructed, and I was going to be a part of that construction.  The feeling of deep pleasure, of confidence, is what I remember best.  I also recall that he said something akin to "a nail should only be hit three times."  One time for positioning of the nail, once for strength, and the last, for the final result.   Somehow I always equated this with Jesus.  Dad was so very exact on the number of times I felt there had to be a reason.  Jesus was a carpenter.  

My dad taught me this technique, and he taught it well.  Even to this day, I know a weak nail, when it does not position correctly the first time.  It will usually bend.  They don't make nails well any more.  They quit making houses correctly a long time ago.  That was when Dad got out of construction.  "I won't be part of something that won't outlast me," he had said.  Dad also helped me learn not to be afraid to tackle something head on, like a nail.  However, I also believe that because people have emotions, I may have not followed through as well as my Dad would have wanted.  Roofing nails, to my knowledge, do not have feelings.  People do.  Dad was aware of people's feelings.  I have always felt as if I inhabited a person's feelings.

That day on the roof, Dad and I bonded, but back then it wasn't known as bonding.  Dads were dads, and kids were kids.  I was not aware of the dynamics of the situation at that time.  I only knew at the time that dad wanted me there, and I could feel that! He told the fellows that worked with him on that house, "this is my daughter," and I beamed!  

If there was a lesson in climbing up upon a roof, then in listening to his instructions, I did not know it at that time.  If there was a lesson in looking down, and being careful, they were then lessons well learned.  There was also, most likely, a lesson in looking up.  He had me look up into the sky, mostly, I think, so I would have some perspective when looking down.  Up was much higher.  Down wasn't that far, after all.  I could get hurt falling down, but I most likely wouldn't die.  Falling up, well, that was a different direction, after all.

So that day, on the roof, I helped my Dad pound in some roofing nails.  I probably also pounded some resolve into my soul.  I believe on that day, it is exactly what my dad wanted me to learn.  He did that for me.  He allowed me to be lifted up, to know that there would always be something over me, and to not be afraid of what could hurt me.  I will always remember being there with him, up on the roof.

It was a good place to be.  We should all spend at least one day on a roof.

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, then speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

© Copyright 2000 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2000-11-05 01:32 AM

Very interesting and something I can relate to - I went up on the roof for the first time when I was five - my dad was a general contractor and wanted to start teaching me ... mom about had a heart attack - but it stuck - I roofed for quite a while before I went into the Navy - Dig this one too Kari - admittedly I'm biased by the subject tho!  
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
2 posted 2000-11-07 03:46 AM

though i have never been up on a roof before, nevertheless i enjoyed this heart warming soul baring piece  

regards

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2000-11-09 06:47 PM

uh-oh Chris...don't..tell..me..we're......relating?

Thanks for the read!

Kaile, so glad you came in too!

Uh, Chris, can you remove the first burp?  Thanks!  
< !signature-->

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, then speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited 11-09-2000).]

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
5 posted 2000-11-12 10:54 AM

What a great story about your relationship with your dad and the life-long lessons that he taught you! I really liked it!
OLIAS
since 2000-06-20
Posts 1090
Pearl city Iowa
6 posted 2000-11-12 11:43 PM

What a wonderful story, it speaks volumes to me, I loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Olias

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2000-11-16 11:52 PM

Karilea--what a touching story of a father and daughter...your looking up...hitting the nail...all wonderful lessons that come with being with your dad...and loved the reference to California...of course I'm partial to the place...and the time also.  thanks for a most enjoyable read!
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

8 posted 2000-11-17 01:21 AM

Very nice piece...I enjoyed reading it immensely. It's a very heart-warming tale of father-daughter bonding. I loved it.
mia

...got to be somewhere better than in the middle...~Wallflowers

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
9 posted 2000-11-17 07:39 AM

Karilea~
This was a refreshing piece that afforded
a look at why some lessons stick with us.

Quite enjoyable, my friend.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2000-11-18 02:37 PM

Karilea, this is a really good piece. It's amazing how the lessons of childhood never leave us. You do a great job of telling this story. I've really enjoyed reading all of your prose pieces. Keep it up!  

"Where there is great love there are always miracles" -Cather
"Love heals everything, and love is all there is"- Zukav

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2001-12-24 02:25 PM

Sooner or later I get around to saying, "thanks!" for coming in to read!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Remember The Roof..............

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary