navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Thread
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Thread Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fjones
since 1999-06-07
Posts 98
MS

0 posted 2000-09-16 03:54 PM

The Thread

It’s just a very small thread. Almost hidden under the tail of your black western bow tie. I dare say anyone will notice it. You know how Mama is, I need to straiten and fix everything about you. If only because I love to have a reason to touch and be near you.

My, you look so handsome in your white shirt and western cut suite. Black sure is a color you wear well, with your light brown almost blond curly hair.  Of course you know what I think of your short-cropped full beard. You wouldn’t be Phillip without hair on your face. Funny how your beard has always been a little darker than your hair. I am always awe struck by the beautiful son your dad and I made. As much as you are handsome you are so much more than your looks. You are a very special person. Just look at all the people here to celebrate you today. There is at least four hundred attending today not to mention the continuous line of friends, acquaintances and loved-ones that came last night.  Since you have been grown most people identify me as Phillip’s Mother.
The name brings warmth to my heart and I just have to smile and say, “Yes I am Phillip Carl’s Mom.”

I know what you are going to say when I crop that thread. “Thanks Mom, and standing beside me you will put one arm around my shoulder and squeeze the way you have done so many times before and say “I love you.”

People I do not know have wonderful praises and stories to tell about their encounter with you. With your sense of humor most are funny stories about something you said or did.

I have had more than a few old ladies tell me “You may not know it but he is my son too.” I can surely share you, I always have and I am proud to do so. You meet old people and they soon know how it feels l to be called “Grandma, Paw, Unc or some other endearing name. It never fails, that’s your nature.

Well, Baby, I cannot bring myself to reach now and disturb that thread just now. I am going to save this task until I see you again. We will meet and you will welcome me home.  I will have eternity to crop that tiny small thread and enjoy your presence.

[This message has been edited by fjones (edited 09-16-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 fjones - All Rights Reserved
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
1 posted 2000-09-17 11:06 PM

I don't know quite what to make of this, but I did enjoy the reading. It left me with many thoughts.  

Nothing can deter a poet, for he is actuated by pure love. Who can predict his comings and goings? "Thoreau"

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2000-09-18 01:44 AM

FJones~
The mother in me reached out and
grasped this one in a heartbeat.
So sad - a scene a mother should never have to face.

Brings tears just thinking of it.
My mother had to bury her son and sadly
because of the circumstances of his accidental death,
there was no viewing - perhaps it was best
as I doubt her heart could have taken it.

You certainly grasped the sorrow and the motherly love well.
Thank you for sharing a poignant piece.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
3 posted 2000-09-18 10:03 AM

I loved the title and focus of your story!
from a tiny thread, you have weaved a heartwrenching tribute of a mothers love for her child.

Well done, thanks so much for sharing!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Thread

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary